Category page experiment update & new Category page design for WordPress

Category page experiment update
Over the past month we’ve been running a series of tests for the default sort order across Envato Market. We tested Newest, Best Selling, Best Rated and Trending. Our aim for these tests was to see which sort filter resonated best with customers and to see if we could improve the customer experience, helping them make a purchase.

The results for these tests are now in. For ThemeForest, GraphicRiver, VideoHive and CodeCanyon the best selling sort filter increased conversion by over 5% on average. On some categories the difference was much larger, for example on ThemeForest, the WordPress category saw conversion increase by over 50% for the best selling sort filter.

As a result of these positive changes, over the next week, the default sort for these markets will be switching to best selling.

On AudioJungle the best performing sort filter was newest items so the default will return to newest. 3DOcean will also switch to best selling and PhotoDune will remain as trending.

How will customers see new items?
Customers will still see new items on the homepages. On category pages, customers can change the sort to newest or use one of the filters to see items added during a certain time period.

These changes do not affect the search algorithm which remains as best match. The search algorithm will continue to provide a boost to new items to ensure they get exposure.

New Test - Brand New WordPress Category Page
We understand this change will impact the exposure of new items. Historically we’ve been constrained to having one page of the same sort order limiting our ability to show a mix of items to customers.

Behind the scenes we’ve been working to fix that, and today we’re excited to announce a new category page for WordPress. Along with data from this last test, the design of this page was influenced by a group of Authors and Customers in a few user tests.

It includes a series of blocks giving customers the choice to explore new items, best selling items, best rated items and more. This is our first release and we plan to iterate on it as we get back data. This means the blocks you see in this test may change, or change position on the page. If successful we may extend this concept to other categories and markets, however we can’t promise anything at this stage.

As this is an A/B test, you may not see the new design yourself.
Below is a preview of the new design. This test will go live tomorrow.

6 Likes

When you say positive changes, you speak about best selling items conversions, right? I’m sorry but this is only one sided representation. What about the rest of the majority of items? Can you please share statistics on new items exposure changed since you introduced this new way of sorting? What was the average percentage of decrease in views / conversions for non best-seller items? Thanks!

27 Likes

This means for a week or forever? :expressionless:

6 Likes

So, for 5% of conversion Envato going to upset 90% of authors. Smart move

50 Likes

Ok I will bring some popcorn :popcorn:

5 Likes

According to March views of items’ pages I may suppose that almost nobody does that. People just click on what they see.

So it’s about 1-2 days to get any chance for new items sales. And if items haven’t succeed to become best sellers than they will be buried alive?

5 Likes

How can this be fair? On the best sellers category for flyers there are almost only flyers shown created in 2010 - 2011. These were the days flyers were selling as crazy. There is no way new authors (or authors after 2011) can ever conquer a spot in the best sellers category. So you give some authors an advantage that should not be underestimated. Maybe you can adjust the best seller category to best seller of the previous year or month.

As I see it now, It makes no sense to create new items because they are no longer selling.

19 Likes

Well, if you check the new items of WordPress Blog Magazine category.

With 25% of the experiment, even the POWER ELITE authors are selling their products at $29 have the very low sale. What is the chance for the new author or even Elite Author? Are you doing something to kill every authors here and only keep your best sellers?

11 Likes

I can take an example:
With the old arrangement: Suppose 1 week the total sale of WordPress Theme is 5k:

• Avada: 2k
  • Top 10: 2k
  • Remaining: 1k
    Thus new authors, new themes still have a chance to sell

With new arrangement: As you said it increased 5% => 5.3k sales

• Avada: 3k
  • Top 10: 2k
  • The remaining 0.3k
    Yes, it has increased. But it only increased with the Top 10. New authors, new products will no more opportunities to reach customers
18 Likes

If you can do advertisement your products. What’s the reason to stay here and share 30% - 50% income?

21 Likes

I’m tired of all those experiments and bad changes. In the meantime my earnings are declining rapidly.

18 Likes

Stupid decision! Goodbye!

25 Likes

I am relieved AJ is back to new items sort and hopefully this experiment will help further discussion how to invest more in new items there.

I do understand a business needs to follow the money and sell quickly/effortlessly to the customers, however I do hope you have considered how much non exclusive talent competition sites will receive in the after effects of decisions like this. It’s hard to put a price and numbers on that long term.

In my opinion it would be wise to have improved options for new high quality items discoverability implemented and tested before making such drastic changes to the category pages. AJ can’t be the only marketplace suffering from over exposure to older items.

7 Likes

Hm, interesting new category page design and overall changes.
Default sorting is ‘best sellers’ - you see Avada and other top sellers.
Popupal items page - you see Avada and other top sellers.
New category page - ‘Weekly best sellers’ block - you see…AVADA and other top sellers!

Are you seriously?

Also, about the new block called ‘Selling fast’. You force authors to decrease their prices to get more sales and be visible in this block? Yes, it doesn’t matter for Envato if author sells their items $13, $19, $29 they still get their fixed $12. What a good move Envato! Very smart! And I understand…nothing personal, just a business, yep?

20 Likes

It is bad news, Envato can’t control markets and finding solutions. Envato CEO’s are interested in space now, there are serious problems here. Good Luck All!

9 Likes

This is such a hideously selfish move.

All I hear is “we earn more money this way, so screw all of you guys”

Anybody using any other markets?

27 Likes

5% increase.
Fun fact:
In February VH authors uploaded around 240 After Effects projects per week. Now, in April they upload 160 per week.

5 Likes

One day, best sellers will not focus to improve their items. They don’t need to do that because their items are always stick on the top of the Market, buyers will see them everywhere. The authors that are not the Best Seller will move if they have oppoturnity on the other markets. There is no new authors, no new items here. Good move, the new Titanic is coming.

17 Likes

17 Likes

This is a very selfish behavior. You can’t ignore all the authors to win 5% more.

Remember, what keeps this community alive is the ones who try to produce new things here.

In the HTML category, what I see on the main page is

Design style and date of publication 2011. One of the biggest markets in the world is proud to introduce this design style to its customers in 2019.

Sometimes it’s better to earn people than to earn 5% more money.

I am very sorry for this decision, but it is more important that you earn 5% more.

After this decision, please do not call the people here “Envato community”. Because communities take democratic decisions.

53 Likes