The Sales Monitor 2

So what will answer “yes” or answer “no” bring to you?

For me definitely - “yes”

Ok. Just data to know different situations from different authors to make some personal evaluation and see what I will do. Personally, I love design and making new projects and interacting with authors from all over the world. So I guess (just guessing) I will stay here. I had a new item during the experiment that made 25 sales in a short period of time, but is not the general rule nowadays.

Waiting is fine, but what experiment? There is no experiment going on in videohive right now. The new sorting is not an experiment. It has been an experiment few weeks ago, now it is the outcome of that experiment.

We all have to wait now for the next experiment where they might try something else in the category pages again, make the sorting options more visible or have a whole new category page.

I see many authors talking about the current “experiment” while there is none. Makes this forum really confusing.

1 Like

But trying “this” and then trying “something else” later, is it not experimenting? There is no communication about the end of this as it was when all began. This is the real confusion

Ok, for sake of specific terms let’s call all this market situation: “Series of Experiments”, “Default Sorting Test” or any other common name.

As I remember results of these tests (experiments) will be applied to the whole market, James mentioned this if I’m not wrong.

And yes, specifically on VH there is best sellers by default with no other a/b/c/d and it only MIGHT change to other option but we don’t know when.

But I’m pretty sure someday Category page will be same for most of markets.

To sum everything up: 100% that whining and constant discussion won’t help here but taking other choices might help, so this way I will probably act

2 Likes

Guess it depends. If I buy a new car today, and keep it for 5 years, then I crash it into a wall and buy a new car after that, was the car then just an experiment or test to me?
Or was it a definitive decision?

Current sorting is a decision, not a test. It has been a test some weeks ago, and after that test showed a 5% higher conversion with best selling as default sort, envato decided to make that the new “normal”.

Here is the post that introduced the new (defintive) sorting:

Note that the term “over the next week” does not mean “during the next week”, it just says when they will switch this on, not that it will only be periodically.

Envato staff have said “Best Sellers default sorting is not here to stay forever”, which is surely correct, but didn’t mean that they will go back to newest items ever. They will rather do something completely different with the category pages but even that is not sure.

So if you say my car that I for sure will not keep forever is just me experimenting with it, then yes, this is just an experiment.
We can all wait for the new bought car to crash so that we have to buy a new one. But how long that will take, we will see.

As long as envato sees higher conversions (car is not crashing), they will stay with the current status quo. So waiting for things to change is maybe not the best option…

This sounds reasonable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, waiting maybe is not the best solution. Because market (Envato) thinks most of all about customers, and definitely not about authors. But if you think deeper, customers purchases depends on continuing generation of items from authors (doesn´t matter if Elite with huge sales or not). Right now all this means that only Best Seller items will have the big and significant number of sales. Anyway, remember authors, without them there would be no market and no items to sell at all.

I know all of this. It just looks like envato doesn’t. Or at least they don’t care. They earn more money today with this sorting than with another, so they set this sorting as default.

When sales will fall, they maybe will think about customers and authors.
Right now they think about “5% higher conversions” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I´m going more for “Or at least they don’t care”. Because Envato knows everything about all this, more than what we do.

Basically, we are talking about same things just with different words. I understand that there won’t be newest by default, I mostly talked about new page design. But anyway, no one signed contract with a devil here, so we have options to act in any direction,
Cheers

1 Like

As for waiting:
Let’s say one option is to become non-exclusive, for me it’s kinda risky to lose exclusive bonus at once - I just don’t know If i will be able to compensate that loss on other places. So to figure it out - I need time anyway. Also non-exclusivity on elements might make this decision to be easier

I think it’s not risky at all to create something not for videohive. Invest one item to see how it goes outside this place.

3 Likes

This is what I am exactly talking about. It’s risky to put existing portfolio, but to start from zero it takes time which i have now with this “best seller” story :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know one thing. I earned all my money here not because I’m special. I earned it, because 7 years ago I was lucky to find this place. This place gave me opportunity, and I was rather smart to take it. Without this luck, I could be a different person, and in most cases I think my life wouldn’t be so easy as it is now.

Now I’m smarter than I was before. And I will not wait for another luck. Today Envato doesn’t give any opportunities. It’s always better to act before the crowd. Predict changes, etc. Maybe the real risk is waiting.

6 Likes

Speaking as customer, the company I work for is a long time Envato’s customer and we have bought over a hundred products from the market. What makes this market our first choice to cover our needs is the vast content and diversity of products. Not marketing, not products on sale, not emailing lists.
Our prime directive was to avoid best sellers and always check new products and trends. Elements changed our purchasing behavior and now it covers 80-90% of our needs. That means that at least from our company Envato is getting less money.
Now if latest decisions force a considerable amount of authors to move their content to another market and start publishing their new projects there then it is logical for customers with our needs to consider the new facts and the enrichment of competitive markets from all those authors .
Of course when you have thousands of authors waiting in line I don’t know how much of annoyance a mass exit would cause to Envato but from marketing perspective I would find very alarming the possibility of the bad publicity that a wave of discontent authors would bring to other communities and social media. Many customers are quite susceptible to negative rumors and bad publicity whether it is based on facts or not. This would only add to the negative image customers have when they are misled by the elements banners on the market and shopping cart, the handling fees, or when they have to wait a few days for their ticket to be reviewed.

4 Likes

100%, same for me.

Funny thing is, few weeks ago I would have said that all the “oh, few years ago it was so much easier to get to elite” is just whining of people with low sales who are looking for an excuse. This was said when I started here as well, and there are items with over 2K sales that have been released in the last year from new non-elite authors and I have regularly made the experience that it is only the quality of products and your niche that decide if you will have success here or not.

But with the new sorting, all these people are correct now. :confused:

Guess we were lucky to be one of the early ones.

5 Likes

My latest item has zero sales and has156 views since the day published in my profile (((a month ago))) which means is barely hard to get sales and I’m sure all the views come from authors itself.

it’s kinda weird that Envato took this step because of 5% revenues and bury most of the authors down deep the market, it’s really sad :disappointed_relieved:

bad sales :frowning: :frowning:

Very bad sales! Gone to about 20-30% from previous years. Disaster …