Category page experiment update & new Category page design for WordPress

As a new author no chance to get success in this marketplace

12 Likes

all new products are doomed

8 Likes

Thank you, we went to search for a new job.

17 Likes

Just graduated and wanted to work with Envato to sell my work here. As I see you are not thinking about new users, who would like to start a journey with you. Not cool. I have literally no chance to compete with themes that got thousands of sales… I like the new design tho.

My suggestion:
Bring “Newest items” as default sorting option again, implement new design.

15 Likes

Recently I released a new item and it got only 10 sales after two weeks at $29 price. The traffic is insanely low. You just ruined two months of my work with this stupid “innovations”.

I think you will kill the market this way.

23 Likes

It’s too expensive. $13 is a good price for WordPress theme.

P.S. Seems like sales have more weight for more authors than income.

13 Likes

“Your last sale was $59 15 days ago” - Everything you need to know about this experiment.
From the beginning, it was clear that the sorting order would change forever. OK, there are other markets.

13 Likes

That is a misunderstanding. I mean, we should do more to avoid dependence and Envato.

3 Likes

Hello

@trent-aus i have some idea for category pages other then your new wordpress category page ( which has default best sellers sorting ) that you can try discussing with your team

rather keeping best sellers and buried new invoative items

why dont you try to change to design with three column

left sidebar with product filters and main column ( middle one ) of all products ( default sorting with newest items ) and right sidebar of monthly top selling items or top 5 best selling items of that category

this will result many things

you will always get newest invoative items in market and new authors and market get freshnes

your 5% sale can be covered in third sidebar

every category has max 5 items only on best selling after that 5-8 result all your customers are getting items published on 2012-2013 so such items which are not updated that will be removed

and many more can be achived what all think on this suggestion

because not giving exposure to new items will result in price competition ( new authors will keep with any lowest pricing to come up with there investments ) also many fake sales and fake reviews to come upside on filter for best selling

what are your thoughts on this all authors ? i think making solution better to win win situation for all will be better

Regards

4 Likes

54 Likes

This is good news.

2 Likes

@trent-aus How long the new WordPress category tests are gonna take for you to decide to extend them to other categories or not? Also did this new design concept increased sales conversion?

It’s already added to all categories… this is honestly the worst idea I’ve seen in years as an Author because it affects ALL categories. Some categories, like the one we’re selling on are now showing files that haven’t been update since 2013. Also, a lot of broken files that don’t work with live previews… I’m speechless… and I’m still hoping this will not affect all categories… otherwise, years of work are gone down the drain…

I can literally release the best quality, best features, best price, best everything file in my category only to have customers served with broken live previews and designs that were popular 10 years ago for files that haven’t been update. How is that a best seller? How does the customer get the best when he gets served something that’s dead and no longer selling.

How can you promote something that’s 6 years old as a “best seller” when in the last year it made 5 sales and new items that are making hundreds of sales each month don’t even show up. This is one bizarre way of saying “Best Sellers” … In a lot of categories, this is the “Best Antiques” to put it mildly…

Web Design has ever-changing design patterns… You can’t advertise stuff that’s 6 - 7 years old on all categories just because 1 category made a great improvement in sales. Also, coincidentally that 50% increase in sales happened during the March Marketing Campaign and the $21 discount on the best selling WordPress Theme. How can the data from this experiment even be accurate?

This needs to be added by logic. WordPress best sellers, okay, yes, you’re not gonna last unless you update, but in other categories? What about those? Best sellers with 10.000 sales that haven’t been updated in years, make 2 sales a month, and they outrank new files and new products that flame up, but will die due to lack of exposure… wow… I’m … wow … I was never expecting this in a million years.

My personal opinion as an author. This post does not reflect the opinion of an Envato Staff member or representative.

59 Likes

Wow, I opened the top sales logo for the last month and the numbers are impressive. The only reasonable explanation for the sorting situation is that the authors start loading all their new projects into elements (because new projects on the videohive now have a big chance to get 0 sales)

5 Likes

At least the new category design is going to show series of blocks giving choice to explore new, best selling, best rated items. Which means the new category design is going to give new items some of exposure, so what do you think?

Nope.

Only WordPress. Every other category is officially down the drain.

Isn’t that what they said?

@trent-aus Please give us more details about the new category design concept since it’s not live yet…

Yes, but they said it will be for the WordPress category. So what happens to everything else? Everything else gets served the Best Sellers. So old files with mostly no updates in front of brand new files with mega sales potentials… Oh, and let’s not forget about files with 404 pages when you open live previews…

5 Likes

I feel the same about that but at least they plan to extend the new WordPress category design to other categories/markets soon so we should be hopeful with a bit of patience.

@Enabled Do you think it make sense for us to give our opinion? I can’t find any example where a decision has been reversed.

6 Likes