Lol, Hard Reject. Are Reviewers Really Competent ?

What would you suggest then? What would you implement to remove all subjectivity from the review process?

No review process at all.
But Global Court will ban and delete stuff cruelly: )
Global Court is not only Envato Team but Authors with good projects and big experience.
I mean it’s obvious when Folks Copy paste projects. Steal projects. But Envato did not react cruelly coz it gives them money as well as other projects…

We have to clean it you know. It’s too messy here right now. Where is a Design? Where are Ideas, Colors, Emotions?
Copy paste Copy Paste Copy Paste money money money
Money is great but without Quality things, it is dangerous I think.

Maybe they were a bit harsh with your review, but if there was no review process at all, the site would be even more of a mess. In fact, it would be that bad, that buyers would probably be turned off and go elsewhere. And there would be thousands of results for buyers to go through, rather than hundreds… they’d get fed up of wading through all the rubbish.

I can’t see it working. As for this court, how would they be subjective? Could you be bothered to log in every day and spend the time to rate/vote/ban thousands of new items? What if Dave has loads of slideshow videos and Sarah always seems to outsell him… maybe he’ll down vote all of her projects?

I just can’t removing the review process to be any good for VideoHive in the long run.

1 Like

And one thing to note… if an author has stolen a project, or copied and pasted a project, then they should be reported by the original author. And if that’s the case, the item will be removed. Reviewers don’t have time to go through every single existing project on VideoHive, to compare it with a new submission when reviewing the item. It would take hours instead of minutes.

There is a fine line between copying/stealing, and being ‘inspired by’ though… so they need to be raised on a case by case basis. Until they are, then if a certain style of item is popular and sells, then it would make sense to approve it if it’s of a high standard.

Ok but Creative Market works without a review. Your reputation is the main thing there but I think they will ban you if you will do bad stuff.
I think “review process” is an old approach anyway. It’s like " you have to be on WORK at 8:00 )), you have to do it right etc "
My Global Court is an only raw concept it’s not finished project how to manage all these stuff properly. But the Idea is: It should work differently, more freedom.

I think they need the numbers, so not having a review process would get more items through the door. That would probably change if they had a bigger portfolio. They’ve got just over 1m items, and Envato has just over 11m.

Sure, quality not quantity and all that jazz… but a lack of review is more likely to result in quantity not quality, than it is the other way around.

2 Likes

Oh my god just sell it somewhere else. You didn’t submit a lifetime of work, this project takes a couple of days to make at most. It’s not the reviewer’s job to tell you how to make your project good enough to be approved.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts and time mate!

1 Like

(Mod - Edited). Some of my work were accepted in HD and rejected in 4K and vice versa … and the rejection reason why the quality bs they tell us everytime … it’s like cops you know they have to give a certain number of tickets everyday!

I agree with you now days reviewer needs to give us a valid reason to reject any item…

Atleast give us a reason to improve our work.

Very Good Point! Especially I like Now Days.
Because it’s really true.

Hey, Folks it does not work these days. You can’t just reject stuff. You have to consider personality anyway.
It’s pretty disrespectful. Doing this you say, Hey f… off mate you are too small. And this is addressed to Authors.

You are losing respect guys, you are losing it.

And now FUN Stuff popped up : )))
Here is an email a day after they told me “f… off mate you are too small” :slight_smile:
…

Hello Mihailvasilev Post,At Envato we love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:

How would you rate the support you received?

Good, I’m satisfied
Bad, I’m unsatisfied
…

What I can say here ? Only one thing, it’s Fun guys You Rock : ) ) ) )

I feel that they’ve given the most accurate and efficient reason that they can give. That it’s just not good enough. I’m no reviewer, but here’s the way I see it…

A) If you have to explain why, for every item that is rejected (which is the majority of items submitted), then it’s going to increase the review times considerably. Days will become weeks and weeks will become months.

B) There will be a line when it comes to items that are so bad that there’s just no point in explaining what’s wrong, because if that’s the person’s best work, then it’s very unlikely they will ever have anything accepted. Then there’s no real benefit for Envato to explain what’s wrong, and there’s no real benefit for the author, as that information is unlikely to ever result in approval.

C) There’s two ways you can explain what’s wrong. You can say ‘your font (for example) isn’t good enough’, or you can say ‘you should have used X font instead’. The former might not help the author, as they obviously thought that font was good enough to submit it… and knowing the font is wrong might not fix anything. They’ll just change the font, possibly to one of hundreds of fonts that still aren’t good enough. Rejected again? They’ll just change the font again, with no guarantees they’ll get the right one. Explaining what is wrong will just ensure the person knows what is wrong… they won’t necessarily know what to do about that.

On the other hand, the latter (explaining what they need to do to get it approved) would set a dangerous precedent, as 1) The reviewer is dictating how the finished item should look and 2) they’re filling in the blanks for the author, and essentially coaching them to make their item better, which isn’t their job and shouldn’t be.

If it was a case of telling the author what they need to do to get it approved, then that means somebody could upload a white solid going from left to right, that’s it, and then the reviewers would guide them into making that some kind of top selling item.

Here’s my latest logo reveal project. Check it out…

So you’re a reviewer, how would you explain what is wrong with it? Would that information help me in creating a great logo reveal that gets accepted? And what would you say that I need to do to make it better? What exactly do I need to do to get that approved?

3 Likes

Well, the question is ‘are you happy with the service you’ve received from the customer support team’. It’s not ‘are you happy with the review team’, so you should answer the question at hand (if you want to), rather than let it be clouded by other things which they’re not asking about.

There’s nothing wrong with raising issues you may have or highlighting your concerns, but your dissatisfaction with the review team, doesn’t automatically mean that the support team are rubbish.

What about this stuff (logo) Hmm
I have been doing design and learning design for 15 years.
So For the professional designer, There is an obvious line between bad design and good design (good enough to be approved).

Reviewers Have to HARD reject stuff like this ( this logo you provided ) But They have to say what was wrong there. It’s vital for Good relationships. Spam like messages from support team is bad thing
And If the reviewer can’t say what was wrong ( in his opinion ) He/She have to go to Do another work.

The support just Does not Work properly.
If one person is disrespectful to you It automatically means that all company disrespectful to you until this person will be fired or will give an excuse and correct mistake that was done.

About 'are you happy with the service you’ve received from the customer support team’
They provided a text field with extra comment so I just filled it with my feeling: )

In my particular case, the design is good enough. It is not my maximum but I spent 4 days to develop this liquid paint fx ( paint is moving slightly). Also, I always test my work. I did a good preview for it. But what was that thing that stopped it ?
A Comment about timing is total bs Because every Motion Designer can Make it faster if needed. But this version is 3 sec per transition. It’s cartoony slow pace transition. It’s not super fast glitch stuff.

1 Like

And doing design for 15 years means that on average, you have a higher chance of getting your item approved than the average guy on the street, or somebody who has been doing design for less than 15 years… but it doesn’t, and shouldn’t, mean that your item will get automatically approved.

Doing design, or singing, or dancing or writing for 15 years doesn’t automatically mean you’re good at something. I’m not saying you’re bad or anything… it’s just that you can’t use length of time doing something as a marker of quality.

Why do they have to hard reject it? What’s wrong with it? How would you explain what’s wrong with it, and how would that benefit both Envato and myself? The reviewer may be more than capable to explain what is wrong with something, but that doesn’t mean they have to… or mean that it’s feasible to do so. My point in producing that magnificent animation is to get you o think about what form this feedback would take, and what value it would add to the current process.

I just find it’s all too easy for new people to come along with all these amazing ideas of how to make the site better, but they don’t really think them through… what it will actually achieve, what it will involve, what form it will take, what it will cost, how it will affect different areas of the business, how it will benefit authors, Envato and buyers, is the time and the cost worth it etc.

Is it though? You think it’s good enough, but the reviewer didn’t think it’s good enough. If it’s possible that you’re right and the reviewer is wrong, then surely it’s also possible that you’re wrong and the reviewer is right?

I’m curious why you think the support doesn’t work? Did they do something wrong? Did they provide you with incorrect information? And as for the reviewer being fired for not approving your item… don’t you think that’s maybe a bit extreme?

2 Likes

I am so sorry for interrupt, i have 1 concern

My envato account username is “westsidevectors”

yesterday i uploaded 1 logo for review but they are rejected with out mention any reason… i attached the logo sample… can you give me any valid reason to reject this logo… so that i can put it into my mind and try not to repeat in future…

Thanks
Author

Sorry but I can. It simply hours of practice ( 10 000 Hours of practice rule ) I’m not super cool designer at this moment but I have very good experience in Art and Design.

but it doesn’t, and shouldn’t, mean that your item will get automatically approved

Sorry mate. It’s your words, not mine. I said only that I can make out what is bad and good design. And I also said that I deserve logical, reasonable answer from reviewers team.

The reviewer may be more than capable to explain what is wrong with something, but that doesn’t mean they have to…

They have to. It’s about respect for people. It’s the obvious thing and it’s simple to do. Respect is normal for Humans.

I just find it’s all too easy for new people to come along with all these amazing ideas of how to make the site better`

I’m not so new here. And yes, new people is vital for any company with their new Ideas.

I’m curious why you think the support doesn’t work? Did they do something wrong?

Yes. It works badly. No respect to Authors as I said before. Spam Like messages directed to busy and interested people. No practical information. I got 3 emails with absolutely zero meaning.

And as for the reviewer being fired for not approving your item… don’t you think that’s maybe a bit extreme?

No. I do not want the reviewer being fired. Respect and clean communication that are I’m talking about.

You think it’s good enough, but the reviewer didn’t think it’s good enough. If it’s possible that you’re right and the reviewer is wrong, then surely it’s also possible that you’re wrong and the reviewer is right?

In this case, I need the only reasonable answer from them. It seems like they can’t do it. But I also have concerns about their competence. The last one is just my personal opinion.

Hmm
I think if it was not stolen, it’s good enough to be approved:)
Maybe a bit standard but it looks clean end well enough designed. Maybe it is not enough amount of information they want to have. I mean different versions of the logo etc

I’m not a reviewer but if I would I would test shapes and overall organization of the file. And if it would be good I approved it for sale.

1 Like