Upcoming changes to our Performing Rights Organization (P.R.O.) policy on AudioJungle

I can’t either

1 Like

I hope 10 000 authors are not trying to register an application on their website at once :smiley:

I was hoping to read a little but the site doesn’t work
Faq royalties

1. Will full time musicians (authors) with massive PRO-radio-portfolios be able to upload them here now?

2. If one customer buys a track for YouTube and it goes rocket. Will this generate PRO $ to the author, or will the buyer update the license? (if shim remember :wink: )

Cheers!

I’m not sure when you joined Mike, but I’ve been active on Envato markets since 2008 as a buyer and 2009 as an author. Being around for a little while has taught me that the forums aren’t always the best place to try to engage Envato, especially when something as complex as PRO issues are involved. So if you would like to know where I was, I was reaching out through the contact form - which I am sure many others were too.

AudioJungle was originally created really as an extension of music that was being used for flash games, and to be honest, they were (admittedly) ill equipped for what was to soon explode into a thriving music licensing business.

Could the move been made earlier? Yes, however there are a lot of options to weigh, and a lot of people’s lives and livelihoods involved here. I have always been pro PRO, but understand some of the hurdles that existed.

So while I COULD sit here and complain about everything that didn’t happen when I wanted it to, I am choosing to focus on the good of the moment, and celebrate that in the end AJ came though as it has done historically over the years.

7 Likes

No point in arguing about the past, now we’re here and PRO is happening. Like Tim said, I think too that Envato were kind of caught by surprise that AJ became one of the biggest places for licensing music in the world and they were not prepared and had zero experience in the business.

What I too must stress though, is that we need to be able to fill in an IPI/CAE number to better secure royalties. Names get misspelled all the time and I’m sure many RF music producers operate under composer/writer aliases also with their PROs.

2 Likes

yes, but even we have user names here and alias on other music produced and registred on PRO organisations, Envato use our real names since we complete TAX details with real name and passport ID, the same story when we registrer on PRO organisation, only real names and ID

Yes, when you register. But many artists use composer aliases when they make music they don’t want to be directly affiliated with their artist image. One example is Taylor Swift who also writes under the name Nils Sjoberg (so Nils Sjoberg would be on the PRO cue sheet and not Taylor Swift). Many, many artists do that and my point was simply that the IPI/CAE number would help get the money to the right place.

Question:

Will one person be able to register 2 accounts, one PRO-affilated for their own music, and another for music they produce that is written by others, and not PRO-registered?

1 Like

Your “local” PRO is ACUM. If you have a US mailing address, BMI and ASCAP are the main PROs there. ACUM has a bit of a reputation problem when it comes to royalty distribution, and I’ve also heard joining isn’t as easy and straightforward as it is with US PROs.

This is incredibly great news for AJ composers! Thank you @EricSchwartz and the AJ and Envato staff for all of your work to make this happen. Thanks to all the AJ composers who both publicly and privately supported this move in the forums and through emails. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow , first time I ever seen @pinkzebra is posting anything ! What a glorious day ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great news, finally!

Can i register in US P.R.O if i’m not US citizen/resident?

2 Likes

Does anyone knows the answer on @Enrize question ?

‘‘Can i register in US P.R.O if i’m not US citizen/resident?’’

Thanks. I am originally from the US so I will probably register there.

I was wondering the same thing, it seems like an excellent suggestion.

Ditto to the question by @Tunediver

Yes you can. You can join almost any PRO of your choice. But you can only be affiliated with one at a time. Some have harder restrictions, like SESAC.

1 Like

If you can make your tracks for Audio Jungle and register them too with a pro so you can get royalties, will Audio Jungle get an amount of those royalties or is it 100% for the authors? I am not a member of a pro but I am now thinking about it.