Upcoming changes to our Performing Rights Organization (P.R.O.) policy on AudioJungle

Firstnote, I don’t think internet usage attract PRO broadcast royalties.

Good question, I’m wondering the same thing. I am registered with a PRO but none of my tracks on my AJ profile are pro-registered. I would rather keep them that way, I really hope it is allowed to designate my profile as non-PRO since it will contain unregistered music.

I’m not against the concept, I’m not sure that terminalogy it’s ok now

As doesn’t matter if the track PRO registered or not, they have to pay royalties anyway. Not for web use, though. For the time being. But no one is going to get an invoice for music used in broadcast 5 years ago.

I guess thats between you and your PRO.

Exactly! how can we find the answer from Envato Stuff, if this is allowed ?

I’m pretty sure it’s something Envato will be enforcing one way or the other. There are other RF sites who will not allow writers to provide any music at all if they are registered with a PRO, not sure we’re allowed to mention names of other sites here in this forum, but I remember finding one or two sites.

Sigh… Tim, we all know this is long overdue. I don’t know how your relationship with Envato looks behind the scenes, but I what I know is: If you and all the other elite authors weren’t so shy and had actually participated in the public discussions regarding PRO then I’m sure, Authors would already hold their first PRO checks in their hands.

If you are part of a PRO you can’t really escape the royalty aspect in any pure sense, at least 100%. I had some music used for the show Ghost Adventures, and I never registered the tracks with BMI. Ghost Adventures sent in the cue sheets (to BMI), and in essence registered my tracks for me. So even if your tracks are not registered, you may end up having it sent in through a cue sheet. BMI will register the track automatically in this case.

1 Like

Thanks Erick, that’s surprising.

1 Like

I can’t speak for any other Elite author, but I’ve been talking about PRO issues publicly since before half the authors here were even around. It’s not that many are silent, it’s that this issue has literally been going on for years — and lots of authors have in fact voiced their opinions publicly. Eventually, people (including me) just stopped talking about it on the forums however until AudioJungle was ready to do something. There came a point where Envato had enough information. They didn’t need more forum posts, they needed to do some tests and make a decision and they were left to do that.

The people “behind the scenes” I am referring to is not mean to say “me” - it’s meant to say, in things this complex there are obviously other people involved who have been helping things along who we may never be able to thank or give credit to because we’ll never know publicly. So it’s just a nod to say thanks to those people :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just awesome news!

One question crossed my mind. I’m not PRO affiliated yet but gonna join my local one soon. So, let’s say I’ll join my local PRO and register all my Audiojungle tracks. What happens to those “old customers” who bought those tracks before they were PRO registered?

Couldn’t that (in theory) cause some problems because while they bought the tracks they thought they were completely performance free? I know that the broadcasters are those who are paying those performance royalties but still this one bugs me.

Not sure about the situation in all the countries but for example in Germany it does.

To use my example from above, Audi as the owner of the website has to pay royalties to German GEMA for music used in their own image movie, for years if they use it that long. So they might very well come after you even years later if they bought a track as royalty-free, that was changed in the meantime and technically royalties are due now.

That’s what I don’t get - how will authors deal with that - changing the status of tracks that were non-PRO to PRO without risking trouble with old customers?

That’s exactly what I am asking above - there is a potential confict here.

And that’s where I think you’re wrong. Envato should have had enough information on music licensing even before the launch Audiojungle. They did not, and I think we both can agree that backend royalties for audiojungle items is something that is just silly not to claim. Envato decided to ignore these voices because of the fear of loosing customers and the label royalty free. A constant reminder was necessary to convince Envato that it’s the right thing to do. Authors are loosing money here and getting ridiculed by selling 19$ tracks which then get aired on TV. Where have you been during the last 2 years? In those threads asking for PRO? No.

Hey @MikeSea.

This has been the combined effort of a lot of people. Believe me @TimMcMorris has absolutely played a part here, as have a lot of other authors- both Elite and non elite. You’re a part of this group too. It’s been a lot of people participating in different ways.

The speed at which Envato moves is not really something external parties can control. There was never any confusion though that this was something many authors wanted. We’re really hapy to be here now.

1 Like

Cheers fella.

I’ve never registered these tracks. I will now.

Although 100+ tracks is gonna be one helluva fun afternoon!!..

1 Like

I think I’m gonna spread the fun over several days. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys, i can’t access BMI website. Am i alone?