Performing Rights Organization (P.R.O.) Update & New Setting

Hey AudioJungle authors!

From our new Music Licenses, to the updated iTunes / Personal Listening Music policy, the new waveform audio player, to the proactive stance toward YouTube Content ID registration, we’ve seen some significant evolution and positive steps on AudioJungle in just the past year or so.

One of the other areas we’ve been exploring is how Performing Rights Organizations fit into AudioJungle’s roadmap.  We know that Performing Rights Organization (P.R.O.) registered music has continued to be an important topic to many of you, and we want to update you on where things currently stand.

What’s New

We of course as always monitor the forums and have taken careful note of all the ongoing P.R.O. discussion. To get an even wider understanding of the community’s needs and experiences, a few months back we sent out a P.R.O. focused author questionnaire as well, and have since been following up individually with authors while we continued to assess and explore the legal, product, and commercial risks and opportunities behind the scenes.

Now, as one of the final steps in our information gathering stage, we’ve added a new author setting where you can go enter details upfront about your current P.R.O. affiliation:  

![image](upload://lETlOcfmQDxz4eNRRGQyp4VHmQv.png)

Please note this is not a change to our existing policy, nor is it a guarantee regarding any possible future changes.  Submitting P.R.O. registered music to AudioJungle is still not allowed at this time.

Why are we doing this?

In order to take any future action, this is information we’ll need to have collected and prepared upfront.  By doing so ahead of time, it puts us in the best position to make final decisions and move forward with greater confidence, speed, and clarity.

Additionally, we will use this information in the meantime to continue to evaluate the potential impact to AudioJungle’s music offering and related risk factors.  A change to our P.R.O. policy is no small thing, and it is very important we make sure to assess and plan for all possible outcomes to the best of our ability.

Who should fill this setting out?

Everyone!  If you are an author on AudioJungle, you must fill out this setting as soon as possible.

If you don’t know what a P.R.O. is and have no clue what this is all about, chances are you’re not a member of one.  In this case simply choose “No P.R.O. Affiliation” and click the “Save” button.  Easy as!

If you are currently a member of a P.R.O., choose “I have a P.R.O. Affiliation” and select the specific P.R.O. you belong to from the provided dropdown list.  Please rest assured this will not result in any changes to your account or items at this time (eg. it will not be publically viewable), and is simply for informational and preparational purposes as we’ve said above.  As we know more, we’ll be sure to communicate clearly as to how this information may be used in the future as part of a potential policy change.

What’s next?

We’ll be following up with authors in the coming weeks to make sure everyone has filled in this new information.  Once fully collected and assessed, likely in Q1 of 2016, we’ll circle back to you all with what the next steps will be, which could involve some further testing.

14 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Eric. This looks like a good step in the decision making process regarding P.R.O. affiliations.

1 Like

This is good to see. Bravo.

There should be one more option such as “Planing to join the P.R.O” for people like me :slight_smile: Because me saying “Not registered” might make you think that I do not want to have anything to do with it, but I do :slight_smile:

7 Likes

thanx!
any step-by-step guide how to sign up to P.R.O. company for non US resident?
thanx!

thanks!!!

If AJ chooses to allow PRO registered music, I think this will lead to a big increase in sales of broadcast licenses & everybody wins.

Kurlykovs@ I agree definitely. I am also thinking about it:)

Thanks Envato, this is a step in the right direction.

This is exciting - but I am most excited to see that Envato continues to listen to the community.

1 Like

So, basically, what Envato’s doing right now is trying to estimate the scale of PRO affiliation across Audiojungle following the not-so-accurate survey.Then they might say: “ok, we get it, there aren’t too many PRO registered authors” or: “well, these numbers are impressive”. And then - either deal with it and introduce new terms, or make us deal with the current state of things. Either way it means they do listen to us authors.

1 Like

Same here, I’d like to join but don’t want to stir the pot when its not allowed, but would join if it was allowed.

1 Like

Try filling up the questionnaire, some questions there are exactly about what you’re talking about.

This is a really positive step. Thank you for listening to us all Envato!

Hopefully the money that is left on the table after broadcasters etc have filled out their cue sheets will reach their rightful owners! (in the not so distant future…:wink: )

1 Like

It’s not against the AJ rules to join a PRO. You just can not register AJ titles at PROS, but we can and do register other titles at PROS. Anyone making music professionally is foolish to not join a PRO. PROs send writers money when their registered works are broadcast on TV and radio. You have NOTHING to lose by joining a PRO, only something to GAIN, and I would highly recommend joining an American PRO if your European or other foreign collection society is difficult to deal with. ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC are not difficult “militant and strict” PRO’s as some European PROS seem to be…

Very happy to see Envato looking at this! Bravo and thanks for the hard work! I do hope that Envato is able to move forward and allow pro registration in the future and appreciate that there will be a carefully considered decision.

Hey @Kurlykovs @SkinnyAtlasMusic, we wanted the setting to remain very clearcut about your current P.R.O. affiliation only, and avoid any speculation on what authors may or may not plan to do (which can of course change). We also didn’t want to require authors to make any kind of decision about their potential plans prematurely at this stage, which having an “I’m planning to join” option would effectively do.

That being said, as @MGAnalog suggested if you would like to further express your thoughts on the current policy and any interests regarding joining/registering your music with a P.R.O., please feel free to fill out the Author Questionnaire and provide your username at the end, and we will certainly factor that information in.

Thanks @EricSchwartz I was just throwing out ideas, I will make sure to fill out the Questionnaire. Makes me glad seeing you and Envato taking to us authors :smile:

I’ve missed out on some gigs in the past BECAUSE I am a PRO member. While I think that PRO-registered tracks will attract a more professional clientele, I also think that there is a risk of shrinking the customer base. I suppose that fewer buyers paying more could be just as good as more buyers paying less. We’ll just have to see how this plays out. :smile: