The issue of abusing the item rating system by customers and competitors need to stop. Authors work extremely hard to earn their living here and to keep the 5 star rating become impossible when you can work for weeks to get like 10 x 5 star ratings and then one guy comes in and destroys all the effort with a single x 1 Star rating.
This is not a new issue. There have been quite a few threads on a similar topic where customers are trying to abuse by demanding FREE extended support or customization and some authors have also tried to use the system to hurt their competitors.
So far there was no real action plan or suggestion on how this can be stopped. But I have some suggestions to get this conversation to the next level.
We would really be grateful if you can give our feedback to your team that people should meet certain criteria for example:
The reviews and rating system should be inactive for authors unless:
- The user profile must is at least 90 days old. (Competitors will not be easily able to create new profiles just to buy and rate a product.)
- The user must have purchased the product at least 30 days ago to be able to leave a rating (especially 1 or 2 stars).
- If a user wants to leave a rating they must have a completed profile and it should reflect from where the profile was created as it seems users can create a profile sitting in India and select USA. Also, the contact form should be enabled as a lot of time there is no way to reach these users.
- User must provide a proof of what they say is true or that the support did not help. So incase we dispute the case we have enough proof to create proper case with envato support.
- If user leaves 1star review the author should automatically have the right to issue refund without the user’s submission. (Not sure if this will be ever possible but something to discuss)
Hope there is some feedback from all the authors and also from the community manager.
Thank you so much for your support.