MacBook Air for work (graphic design)

MSFX said

I guess if you’re not pushing too much through it at once then there’s no reason a quad core with a few gigs of RAM should have any problems… for me with the AIR the problem is the screen size… is 13" really large enough for doing graphic work… personally i’m not so sure so i’d stick with a 15" MBP

Sure is small… but as I said I will use external monitor. And for travelling is 13" enough … :slight_smile:

||+828346|pixel-fabric said-|| Sure is small.. but as I said I will use external monitor. And for travelling is 13" enough .. :)

So I guess you have your decision now. Just wait to see the picture of your latest gear :smiley: Good luck!

Downgraded last year from a 15" MBP to a 13" MBA (i7, 8gb RAM, 256 SSD) connected to a 24" display and it, of course, does the job more than well.

Any decent computer, PC or Mac, from 2009 to 2013 is good enough to work in our industry (at least, webdesign and other 2D stuffs).

kailoon said
sevenspark said

I got the top-specced Air last year, and it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it (and I tend to be very demanding of my machines). I highly recommend it. Pair it with a 27" screen and you’ve got a great setup.

Enjoy!

I am thinking to sell my MBP 2011 and get the 2013 MBA. Do you think it good idea to pair with a 27' cinema display for some Photoshop and Illustration works? So I can still work on the go with the lightweight MBA :)

I am not very comfortable with the MBA keyboard for long hours coding tho. I think will need an extra keyboard.

Absolutely! That’s what I do. Though I bought a Samsung monitor instead - the cinema display is even better if the price isn’t an issue :slight_smile:

Having the big monitor is fantastic when at home - though I find it’s not that big a deal when I want to be mobile; the 13" screen is great, I’m just not quite as productive with the smaller screen real estate.

Also ended up going with the wired keyboard, though you can get the wireless - I like having the number pad, though.

It’s a pretty impressive little powerhouse, actually.

sevenspark said
kailoon said
sevenspark said

I got the top-specced Air last year, and it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it (and I tend to be very demanding of my machines). I highly recommend it. Pair it with a 27" screen and you’ve got a great setup.

Enjoy!

I am thinking to sell my MBP 2011 and get the 2013 MBA. Do you think it good idea to pair with a 27' cinema display for some Photoshop and Illustration works? So I can still work on the go with the lightweight MBA :)

I am not very comfortable with the MBA keyboard for long hours coding tho. I think will need an extra keyboard.

Absolutely! That’s what I do. Though I bought a Samsung monitor instead - the cinema display is even better if the price isn’t an issue :slight_smile:

Having the big monitor is fantastic when at home - though I find it’s not that big a deal when I want to be mobile; the 13" screen is great, I’m just not quite as productive with the smaller screen real estate.

Also ended up going with the wired keyboard, though you can get the wireless - I like having the number pad, though.

It’s a pretty impressive little powerhouse, actually.

Hey sevenspark, if you don’t mind me asking what kind of monitor is that? :slight_smile: And is it easy to set up to have two monitors? (i.e. do you need a thunderbolt cable or? i’ve got a macbook pro so I assume it is the same connectivity etc)

Oh and btw what is that microphone looking thing? I’ve seen it a couple times now already on pictures like yours :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! :wink:

playnethemes said

Hey sevenspark, if you don’t mind me asking what kind of monitor is that? :slight_smile: And is it easy to set up to have two monitors? (i.e. do you need a thunderbolt cable or? i’ve got a macbook pro so I assume it is the same connectivity etc)

Oh and btw what is that microphone looking thing? I’ve seen it a couple times now already on pictures like yours :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a 27" Samsung S27B350, and ran only about $280 at Costco haha (it does the job for me). To set it up with the Air, I just needed a Mini Display Port to HDMI converter (cheap on Amazon).

The microphone is a Yeti, which is popular for screencasting :slight_smile:

playnethemes said

If I may just reply, the MBA only supports one external display.

sevenspark said
playnethemes said

It’s a 27" Samsung S27B350, and ran only about $280 at Costco haha (it does the job for me). To set it up with the Air, I just needed a Mini Display Port to HDMI converter (cheap on Amazon).

The microphone is a Yeti, which is popular for screencasting :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info man! :slight_smile: your setup looks sweet!

@playnethemes you’re welcome, and thanks! :slight_smile:

I see lots of ppl set up their mba on stands, like that. Why ? Just curious…

Australia said

I see lots of ppl set up their mba on stands, like that. Why ? Just curious…

Two reasons (for me at least): first, it brings the screen closer to eye-level, so you can have better posture while sitting. Second, it aligns the screen with the external monitor, which makes things easier when looking from screen to screen and more intuitive when dragging from screen to screen :slight_smile:

It also acts as a heat sink and improves air flow around the machine.

Looks so uncomfortable for typing, I may add this to my wish list :slight_smile:

Australia said

Looks so uncomfortable for typing

You know, I’ve actually never tried that - I only keep it up there when I’m using the external keyboard and mouse. But in the 30 second test I just did, it’s actually surprisingly comfortable (I expected it to be awful as well).

Lol visons of you sitting there like Tiesto in front of your window,

I went from a macbook pro to an imac, ill never go back, i gave my mbp to my other half lol

Australia said

Lol visons of you sitting there like Tiesto in front of your window,

yeah exactly what I always imagine when I see a MB on the stand :smiley:

sevenspark said

Amazing setup! I love that table too! Yeah, will get the wireless keyboard. Post the full spec here man :)

For me an Asus K53SV (bought back in 2011), with an i7 2630QM (quad core), 8GB of RAM DDR3 @1333Mhz, and a GT540M @ 2GB video card (750GB of storage), with an external monitor (Samsung 21") plugged-in does the job, and also a Logitech keyboard and mouse using the Unifying technology does the job for me. The whole thing costs around 1,400$, and I can run whatever I need without having any issue.

Pricop said

For me an Asus K53SV (bought back in 2011), with an i7 2630QM (quad core), 8GB of RAM DDR3 @1333Mhz, and a GT540M @ 2GB video card (750GB of storage), with an external monitor (Samsung 21") plugged-in does the job, and also a Logitech keyboard and mouse using the Unifying technology does the job for me. The whole thing costs around 1,400$, and I can run whatever I need without having any issue.

Mate, it’s a bit different :slight_smile:

E.g. though I hate my RMBP for display retention, issues with graphic card, buzzing SSD and mechanical issues with trackpad, it is still far more superior then any Windows laptop I owned (high-end Asus, Vaio, etc.)

kailoon said
sevenspark said

Amazing setup! I love that table too! Yeah, will get the wireless keyboard. Post the full spec here man :)

I’m in love with that table too… Got any details on it? :slight_smile: