Sorry if I am asking again, but it is 2017 and couldn’t find a relevant thread.
So I have saved enough to buy myself a Mac (All thanks to envato and eForm). I have been using Windows, since I don’t know when (PS: I am 27) and have always looked with wonder what the Mac fuss is all about. They obviously look great. Had bought an iPad Air 2 a few months back and really liked the display. So why not switch to a Mac for my work too? Right?
But I am currently in a dilemma whether to go for MacBook Pro 13" 512GB SSD or an iMac 3.5GHz with Radeon Pro 575.
Things that I currently use (under Windows 10, running on a quite nice build https://novabench.com/view/1058512 ) on daily basis
- Affinity Designer
- Of course Sublimetext 3
- VVV (Vagrant) with VirtualBox
- Grunt, NPM, Composer etc etc.
Things that I will definitely reuse for which so ever Mac I buy
- My Asus Cerberus Keyboard - I am very old fashioned, can’t type without the mechanical feeling
- Dell S2240L and S2240T (basically two nice Dell monitor, one with touch screen and one without)
- A Logitech G402 - Although I am more a developer and very less a designer, so it doesn’t matter much
So my question is will the MacBook Pro 13" be able to fit my requirement and be as smooth as my current PC? I know the iMac will (just looking at the config, it seems really nice) but very reluctant about the MacBook Pro. I have never used any Mac before and the MacBook Pro 15" are just out of budget.
PS: My sole decision for buying a Mac is basically for three reasons:
- They look awesome. Especially the MacBooks.
- The hurdle I had to face to install VVV with working NPM for my WordPress project under Windows, is not just worth it. To get symlink support, lock support etc (and what not) I had to very hackishly use WinNFSd and Vagrant::WinNFSd.
- I prefer the portability of a Laptop. I have monitors and keyboard where I can dock when I am working at home. But when I am travelling I would like to have a laptop which would be great if was my primary workstation.