MacBook Air for work (graphic design)

Bump!
Need your advice please.

I'm really interested in macbook air (will be my first mac). But i'm wondering that the base model 13" (i5/4gb ram) is enough for web design & development. Upgrading to i7/8gb ram is way too long in my country (about 2 or 3 months for custom order) and i can't wait that long.

So the question, is the base model 13" macbook air sufficient my need? Or should i get the pro because it's upgradeable?

Thank in advance.

Reviving this thread since the MBA was slightly upgraded today.

I have an early 2012 MBP 13" but I really need -WANT- a MacBook Air for its portability, speed, etc. I don’t have plans to sell/give my MBP because it’s a great machine but I’m struggling with the fact that 11" may be too small AND another 13" may be overkill.

What do you guys think?

Ivor said

Reviving this thread since the MBA was slightly upgraded today.

I have an early 2012 MBP 13" but I really need -WANT- a MacBook Air for its portability, speed, etc. I don’t have plans to sell/give my MBP because it’s a great machine but I’m struggling with the fact that 11" may be too small AND another 13" may be overkill.

What do you guys think?

I went on a trip last fall where I needed to be extra mobile, so I bought an 11" Air (I already had the 13" Air but it wouldn’t fit in the camera bag I was carrying around). I expected it to be too small to be productive on, but I was pleasantly surprised. I even did pretty intense photo editing on it (files up to 1GB with many layers), and while it wasn’t as easy as using a gigantic monitor, I didn’t find it to be significantly more restrictive than using the 13" screen.

If I were buying again, I’d get another 11". When I’m home and attached to the external monitor, it makes no difference; when I’m traveling, it’s extra mobile :slight_smile: But if you intend to use the Air as your primary work machine without an external monitor the majority of the time, then the extra 2" of screen real estate is probably worth the size trade-off.

EDIT: The one thing to note about the 11" is that the screen is small enough that you can’t expand your browser as wide as you need to sometimes. I was providing customer support on the 11" and didn’t realize the customer was having an issue with their theme that only appeared above 1400px because my browser simply didn’t expand that wide :slight_smile: I mention this since, if you’re reviewing themes on it, that might be a consideration for you as well.

New dilemma :slight_smile:
Macbook Pro 13" Retina with 512 gb ssd with 8gb ram vs. 128 gb ssd with 16 gb ram… In the same price.

For photoshop, illustrator and stuff… So more ram or space? :slight_smile:

Do you need .5TB of internal storage? For me, that would be a no-brainer. You can always get external hd, while you cannot upgrade RAM afterwards and for PS/AI, its always good to have lots of RAM.

Using windows for years and switched to MAC OS recently and its just amazing and fast everything runs fast and it also don’t slow down over time unlike windows.

||+1115117|pixel-fabric said-|| New dilemma :) Macbook Pro 13" Retina with 512 gb ssd with 8gb ram vs. 128 gb ssd with 16 gb ram.. In the same price.

I bought a 128gb macbook pro 2 weeks ago. Zero complaints about the storage space. I recently purchased an apple TV device so I don’t have any need to store large media files on my mac any more. With 100gb of free space for just web development, I don’t see myself running out of room any time soon.

If you’re doing anything that requires large amounts of storage though (videos, photos) of course more space is better that ram.

||+1115117|pixel-fabric said-|| New dilemma :) Macbook Pro 13" Retina with 512 gb ssd with 8gb ram vs. 128 gb ssd with 16 gb ram.. In the same price.

Definitely more RAM! You can upgrade you SSD in 30 seconds, but RAM is soldered to motherboard.

Edit: here you go: http://www.transcend-info.com/Apple/jetdrivelite/ . You can also upgrade the system SSD but it will take 30 seconds longer :smiley:

go for more RAM, harder to upgrade :confused:

Have just bought MBPR 15" with 1TB, 16GB, 2.8Ghz Quad Core, rocking my world :smiley:

Thanks for replies. I am going for more ram :slight_smile: I thought that upgrading ssd isn’t possible.

I don’t think upgrading SSD is possible in Retina models.

But also, I recommend more RAM

ZoomIt said

I don’t think upgrading SSD is possible in Retina models.

But also, I recommend more RAM

Possible… If you’re not afraid of screwdriver :slight_smile:

I’m still undecided whether to get an iMac 27" 32GB RAM 3.4 GHz or a MacBook Pro 15" 16GB RAM 2.5 GHz — 27" is such a gorgeous and huge display but 15" MBP is Retina. I decided to ditch the idea of the MacBook Air because I need more power. With so many great options is difficult to decide :frowning:

Ivor said

I’m still undecided whether to get an iMac 27" 32GB RAM 3.4 GHz or a MacBook Pro 15" 16GB RAM 2.5 GHz — 27" is such a gorgeous and huge display but 15" MBP is Retina. I decided to ditch the idea of the MacBook Air because I need more power. With so many great options is difficult to decide :frowning:

depends if you want to leave the office with it or not :smiley:

MSFX said
Ivor said

I don’t usually leave the office but Retina :confused:

Ivor said
MSFX said
Ivor said

Retina laptop is mega useful, get a retina MBP and then treat yourself with a 27" display :slight_smile:

tommusrhodus said

Retina laptop is mega useful, get a retina MBP and then treat yourself with a 27" display :slight_smile:

This is actually the advice I needed. Thanks Tom!

!http://i.imgur.com/kM9LSmR.png!

Ivor said
MSFX said
Ivor said

why worried about retina? :confused: It’s the way it’s all going to go so good be be ahead…

YAY you got one :smiley:

tommusrhodus said

+1 Using MacBook Pro, Retina 13’, late 2013 + 27" display, very satisfied :slight_smile:

Basically I think it’s good but if you intend to move further (3D, rendering ?) then possibly consider a MBP because it’s upgradable.