Best monitor for web design

Hi, want to buy a new monitor, usage is mainly web design. Was thinking to purchase NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 but maybe now there is something better than it?

I’m working on Windows. Price should be not more than 1500$.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Or should I just not bother and buy an iMac? :slight_smile:

If you have a mac already you might aswell just buy an LED Apple Display. Or go for something cheaper.

I only have a White Macbook 13 inch. I don’t need any big screen I can still design/develop without one :slight_smile:

thePhoenix
Thanks for your feedback!
No, I don’t have a Mac now, I have a PC :slight_smile:

You should really buy a Mac :slight_smile:

diogoredin said

why? so he can struggle with the controls for the next 2-3 months and learn to use Apple’s GUI and structure instead of working on his themes :S
Win7 >> Mac “any OS version”

campuscodi said
diogoredin said

why? so he can struggle with the controls for the next 2-3 months and learn to use Apple’s GUI and structure instead of working on his themes :S

I’ve just went through this and I can only confirm :slight_smile: But it’s not that bad as it sounds though, still love the switch, no matter what. I also have that Apple Cinema 27" and it’s great, no complains for webdesign, coding etc. But I wouldn’t buy it if I was into print/photography, that’s for sure.

Best monitor is a BIG monitor :slight_smile:

I would go with LED IPS panel.

Writing this from an iMac 27", don’t get it for web design :slight_smile:

Bigger is not better, if you’re specifically mostly designing for the web, since it’s too big and you either tend to do things too small when you work or make it big and see a poster size on a laptop when youre done with it :slight_smile:

Best suggestion I’d make is get a good macbook pro and connect it to a 24" led cinema display. Trust me, it’s bliss :slight_smile:

One thing really cool about it though:

Denoizzed said

Hi, want to buy a new monitor, usage is mainly web design. Was thinking to purchase NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 but maybe now there is something better than it?

Damn $1500? If I were you I would get 3 really nice 24" - 27" for about $500 a peice. Those would be great for designing because you’d have a lot of desktop real estate.

Only thing is you would need a graphics card that supports 3 monitors.

Or you could get just 3 decent monitors for like $1k total and spend the other $500 on the graphics card and whatever else you need. That’s what I would do - up to you :stuck_out_tongue:

campuscodi said
diogoredin said

I promise you, anybody who takes 2-3 months to figure out how to use a Mac, their themes won’t be any good… nor will their grill cheeses.

Is their a learning curve?.. yes, but once you learn it… you’ll love it and work faster because of it.

luckykind said

I promise you, anybody who takes 2-3 months…

It doesn’t even take that long. I find it amusing still trying to compare pc over mac. It’s 2011, and have a look at a pc and mac. No words needed, pc/win is for .NET people only.

iProThemes said
luckykind said

It doesn’t even take that long. I find it amusing still trying to compare pc over mac. It’s 2011, and have a look at a pc and mac. No words needed, pc/win is for .NET people only.

Such an ignorant statement.

CadenGrant said
Denoizzed said

Damn $1500? If I were you I would get 3 really nice 24" - 27" for about $500 a peice. Those would be great for designing because you’d have a lot of desktop real estate.

Only thing is you would need a graphics card that supports 3 monitors.

Or you could get just 3 decent monitors for like $1k total and spend the other $500 on the graphics card and whatever else you need. That’s what I would do - up to you :stuck_out_tongue:

+1

I agree, this would probably be the best solution!

Mike343 said
iProThemes said
luckykind said

Such an ignorant statement.

Speaking with 10 years of pc background. I believe I personally have all the rights to rage against pc/win after all those years of troubles they brought me :slight_smile: Getting back to mac, it’s been heaven.

OK, back on topic.

Denoizzed, can you list all hobby/work(getting paid for)/connectivity (like ps3 via HDMI) activities you are going to do on your monitor? Because if it’s only for webdesign and reading text online, you don’t have to spend that much money ($1500) for it.

One more thing, I’ve switched from 2x22" to 1x27" and my neck no longer hurts :slight_smile: It’s up to you, but for me it’s better to have one, but as big as possible monitor. So you would be looking into any entry level 30" monitor imho - size matters, especially for coders and designers.

btw: this one is sweet (and 33% above your budget), but suitable only if you work with print/photos and plan to calibrate it etc. :

For $1500 there is this one:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=224-9949&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=4&baynote_irrank=0

review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4070/dell-u3011-review-dells-new-30-inch-flagship

Whatever you get, I recommend getting 2 monitors as it will speed up your workflow. I have two 22" Dell monitors, and it’s great. The main one is oriented landscape, and the other is portrait. The Portrait one is excellent for coding since you have lots of height.

I found if you buy more than one you get a discount, phew thank god for that !

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@freshface

I’ll use it mainly for webdesign / sites browsing - 95% percent of time I think.
The reason why I was looking for 24" NEC model because it doesn’t has this ‘wide gamut’ thing which I really don’t need because I work with photos only in sRBG mode. The bigger models had this ‘wide gamut’ feature though.

Also it was said it has good factory calibration - I don’t know how to calibrate monitors and I don’t think I want to learn - I’m too lazy for that :slight_smile:

I’ll check out your suggestions, thanks!

diogoredin said

He should not really buy a Mac, we could argue all day about why he should/shouldn’t but in the end PC will win because there are more programs available for PC, PC has everything better then a Mac. The only thing a Mac has that is better then a PC is the design. (Scroll bars ect.) But if you don’t really care about the fancy looks then PC is the way to go. It will not disappoint you.

SportTipsWorld said

I found if you buy more than one you get a discount, phew thank god for that !

:slight_smile: