Best monitor for Programming/Web Development?

Hello,

It’s time to upgrade my old 19" computer monitor!

The only requirement I have is that it can rotate into the vertical/portrait position. I find a vertical monitor can give a better programming experience (eg: you can see more vertical code on the page at once). Plus a narrower footprint on the desk.

Does anybody have a recommendation (or something to avoid)?

I tend to buy through Dell for most things, but keen to look at cheaper alternatives as well.

Cheers,

Dave

I don’t have it yet, but this is what I like. I’m thinking to buy one next month. 24’(1920x1200px) is enough and the aspect ratio is 16:10 which should be better than 16:9 if you want to use it in vertical mode.

16:10 for sure! That would be better.

Thats pretty schmick Smartik but in Australia, it wouldnt be $399.00 more like $2399 lol

Very nice !

Australia said

Thats pretty schmick Smartik but in Australia, it wouldnt be $399.00 more like $2399 lol

same $ http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&l=en&cs=audhs1&sku=230-12093&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

:slight_smile: should be here this week.

dtbaker said
Australia said

same $ http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&l=en&cs=audhs1&sku=230-12093&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

:slight_smile: should be here this week.

hahaha goodonya :slight_smile:

Australia said

Very nice !

Huh! Why so expensive? Here, in Europe, I can get it for less than 399$.

I’m using Eizo FlexScan Sx2262W. It’s great!
Unfortunately the price is not low. I paid ~ $1000

If you care about color reproduction is good choice!

HELIOSMEDIA said

I’m using Eizo FlexScan Sx2262W. It’s great!
Unfortunately the price is not low. I paid ~ $1000

If you care about color reproduction is good choice!

Why would a programmer care about color reproduction :D ?

Anyways, haven’t tried it yet but I think U2713HM is a dream.

ZoomIt said

Anyways, haven’t tried it yet but I think U2713HM is a dream.

yer a mate of mine gets to use one of those at his work. apparently it is a dream to use.

I have a 24’’ Benq g2411HDA: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/g2411hda
The price was very good for its quality: 240$ (Christmas offer).

Unfortunately I was so happy with it for only 3 days - until my 4 years daughter dropped some water over it (she wanted to clean the dust lol) and even today, I have in the right-upper corner a 2 cm dark circle where water particles remained under the screen.

But overall, a very good & reliable monitor :slight_smile:

I’m currently working on 2x 24" Dell U2412M monitors.

Good relation between price and quality. IPS panel, 1920 x 1200 resolution (I didn’t want to have full HD… extra 120px in height), love the pivot!

I do not regret spent money. Worth every $.

Hi, Take a look at Dell U2413: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm

Works out of the box perfectly. No calibration requiered. You can utilize its extended gamut for photo editing. Also there is really accurate RGB emulation mode for web dev.

If you are coming from something like samsung p971, this monitor will be perfect for you: it’s PWM free (which is really good for eyes) and has very light AG coating (all other non-glossy IPS panes really sucks).

The only con is all extended gamut displays can seem “reddish” when you are working in 2 monitor setup with regular RGB model as second display.

Also you can take a look at samsungs with pls panes, but build quality is really poor and you’ll need lots of rain dences to calibrate them properly :smiley:

p.s. 2412M that @RoundedHexagon offered is really decent display for its money, but aggressive AG coating is IMO deal breaker. And PWM can cause eyes pains and weariness.

We have couple of 2311, 2412 and 2413 in our office, so I know what I’m talking about :slight_smile:

Me too, I’m using a Dell U2412M that is very good.

My eyes are not too tired also after 10 hours of coding

Of course having a big budget the best are the EIZO

Previously I’ve worked on Dell U2410 - very good monitor, especially for it’s color support and color deep. Maybe it’s old, but I liked working on it. Disadvantages? Lower contrast than described by Dell, power consumption and… 1x U2410 = 2x U2412M :slight_smile:

||+756563|Dream-Theme said-|| p.s. 2412M that @RoundedHexagon offered is really decent display for its money, but aggressive AG coating is IMO deal breaker. And PWM can cause eyes pains and weariness.

We have couple of 2311, 2412 and 2413 in our office, so I know what I’m talking about :slight_smile:

Ummm, I’m working sometimes 6-7 hours and don’t have any eyes pains or headaches - don’t know why :slight_smile:

LCweb said

Me too, I’m using a Dell U2412M that is very good.

My eyes are not too tired also after 10 hours of coding

Of course having a big budget the best are the EIZO

Yeah. EIZO. Jaw-dropping quality, must-have someday :slight_smile:

RoundedHexagon said

Ummm, I’m working sometimes 6-7 hours and don’t have any eyes pains or headaches - don’t know why :slight_smile:

Like I’ve said “CAN cause eyes pains and weariness”. This is != “WILL cause eyes pains and weariness” :smiley: All people are different.

Moreover in newest revisions of 2412 dell somehow smoothened the PWM (and we have one of first ones in our office).

Peace!

||+756592|Dream-Theme said-||
RoundedHexagon said

Like I’ve said “CAN cause eyes pains and weariness”. This is != “WILL cause eyes pains and weariness” :smiley: All people are different.

My mistake - sorry :slight_smile: Have a good day!

RoundedHexagon said

excellent! I may even get a second one of these if this one turns out to be as good as the reviews :slight_smile:

dtbaker said
RoundedHexagon said

excellent! I may even get a second one of these if this one turns out to be as good as the reviews :slight_smile:

I suggest you to test it first. I just felt in love while testing & immediately purchased two of them :slight_smile: