MacBook Air for work (graphic design)

Hi, I’m wondering about buying the newest Macbook Air for working.
Some specs:
13 inch
1.7GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB , 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
128 or 256 GB Flash

Webdesign, some print design and this stuff… So need it for PS, AI, INDD…

Is here anybody who is working on this machine? Is it going well? Or is there big difference between Macbook pro?

I want Air because is more compact, lighter for travelling, and it looks better :slight_smile:

Of course I will use external monitor with external HDD.

Thanks for replies.

Lukas, DON’T! Using the Macbook without taking advantage of its screen is just stupid. I work on a mac and the overall speed quality look everything is just phenomenal. Whoever says that Mac is no match for I don’t know what massive configuration they’ve created is dead wrong. There’s a very good reason why Mac stuff costs so much. it’s worth every penny. The OS itself is amazing, needless to speak about the configuration.

Before I had it I was wondering the same, IMAC vs strong pc config (much stronger than what Mac has). My decision was made for me as I got it as a gift. A week later a friend bought the config I had in mind and it is simply no match for the Mac.

Cheerios mate. (get to work leave the forums alone :smiley: )

First of all it’s a quad core with multithreading, you didn’t mention the amount of RAM but I guess it should be sufficient :wink: My friend had an Air but it’s just too small for serious work. You need a pro huge screen for that kind of design. I personally have a PC monster (which eats Macs for breakfast) and latest gen 27" 24bit LCD panel so… :smiley: Listen to the man above :slight_smile:

Farley_Design said

First of all it’s a quad core with multithreading, you didn’t mention the amount of RAM but I guess it should be sufficient :wink: My friend had an Air but it’s just too small for serious work. You need a pro huge screen for that kind of design. I personally have a PC monster (which eats Macs for breakfast) and latest gen 27" 24bit LCD panel so… :smiley: Listen to the man above :slight_smile:

Oh, yeah you right. I just copy info from shop … I have 23" LG Flatron (Calibrated IPS) and I am really satisfied with it. Right now I am using Lenovo laptop and I need laptop for travelling too … If dont some PC monster will be the best choice :smiley:

Yeah, it’s 2013. Specs really matter unless you’re rendering video. Every computer Apple sells is good for the toolchain a web designer needs.

I got the top-specced Air last year, and it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it (and I tend to be very demanding of my machines). I highly recommend it. Pair it with a 27" screen and you’ve got a great setup.

Enjoy!

sevenspark said

I got the top-specced Air last year, and it has handled everything I’ve thrown at it (and I tend to be very demanding of my machines). I highly recommend it. Pair it with a 27" screen and you’ve got a great setup.

Enjoy!

In your opinion, this is just some advice I would like please.

I use transport , cs6 and sublime

So would an Air be sufficient and recommended for me to update site code , create stuff etc. Or should I go for MBP
I like the Air, but have always wondered if it was just a non turbo version of its bigger brother. However I dont do gaming, or high end graphics. So would just like some advice.

Are they only in 13 inch screens? Do they have retina ?
Or do ppl generally just hook the air up to Mac and use via a monitor, which I dont see any advantage, other than convenience.

Australia said
sevenspark said

Enjoy!

In your opinion, this is just some advice I would like please.

I use transport , cs6 and sublime

So would an Air be sufficient and recommended for me to update site code , create stuff etc. Or should I go for MBP
I like the Air, but have always wondered if it was just a non turbo version of its bigger brother. However I dont do gaming, or high end graphics. So would just like some advice.

Are they only in 13 inch screens? Do they have retina ?
Or do ppl generally just hook the air up to Mac and use via a monitor, which I dont see any advantage, other than convenience.

Assuming by CS6 you mean Photoshop and/or Illustrator, then yes - I run those programs with a whole bunch of other programs at the same time, and the Air never misses a beat. If you’re streaming HD video + running heavy programs, the fan will start cranking and it gets hot, but it’s never really been an issue.

If you’re doing video rendering ( After Effects CS6 ) you should grab a Pro. I can render video on the Air, but having the processing power of the Pro would decrease the render time by a lot.

The Air comes in an 11" or 13". I don’t think they’ve introduced a Retina Air yet. I like it because I like to be mobile and the 13" screen is great, but when I’m working at home I hook it up to a 27" monitor. For me it’s the best of both worlds.

Sounds to me like the 13" Air would suit your needs well. If you want the bigger screen or more processing power and budget isn’t a problem, get the Pro Retina. It’s thinner than the Pro (kind of in between the Pro and the Air) but with all the power.

Hope that’s useful :slight_smile:

Thank you, i think I would prefer the Air. Appreciate your time in replying and advice.

About the spec, if you don’t have to work with rendering HD video or latest gaming then the Air is okay for any other purposes.

About the mobility, do you work at office/home most of the times or do you travel a lot ? Personally to me the weight of Pro or Air does not matter much since it’s just a laptop (I am a man LOL), but the latest update on the battery of the Air sounds very interesting; and if you spend most of the time outside you’d think about it.

And my advice is to go to the nearest Apple retail showroom, play with the two for a while and see which one do you fall in love with :D. Personal feeling is an important thing which cannot just describe by words :slight_smile:

Cheers.

I’m using a 13" retina MacBook Pro. I always thought that the 2.6GHz of Pro will give a big boost compared to 1.7Ghz of Air. Don’t really know :frowning:

For me, Retina also makes a big difference - it’s gorgeous. It’s very portable too; much more than non-Retina MacBook Pro

sevenspark said

Enjoy!

I am thinking to sell my MBP 2011 and get the 2013 MBA. Do you think it good idea to pair with a 27' cinema display for some Photoshop and Illustration works? So I can still work on the go with the lightweight MBA :)

I am not very comfortable with the MBA keyboard for long hours coding tho. I think will need an extra keyboard.

@kailoon

I use my MBA with a 27" Cinema Display, bought a wireless keyboard and a magic mouse as well, it would be a pain to use the laptop keyboard and work on the Cinema Display.

I have this setup since 3 years now, I only change the MBA every year and charge the batteries :slight_smile:

It’s just perfect for web design, the only software I use is Photoshop.

I suggest you get the MBA as soon as you can but I would wait with the Cinema Display since I am 99% sure that It get’s an update when the MacPro comes out. I think the new Cinema Display get’s the same design treatment like the new iMac’s got last year.

The reason I don’t have the Retina MacBook Pro is that the lid of my laptop is closed 90% of the time.

But I will replace my Cinema Display if the next one will be retina and still keep the MBA if it can drive the new Display

Apple posted a 5,120-by-2,880-pixel image of the Mavericks Desktop wallpaper on it’s site that’s twice the resolution of the current Cinema Display

A bit offtopoc but: does anyone have the cinema apple display and can reccommend it? :slight_smile: it seems a bit expensive though so you could just as well buy an imac no? I got a new macbook pro 15" so i would like an extra screen, just not sure to go with the cinema display or another monitor! :slight_smile:

@shiftlab Thanks!

@playnethemes Cinema Display costs $999.00. 27’ iMac start from $1,799.00.

playnethemes said

A bit offtopoc but: does anyone have the cinema apple display and can reccommend it? :slight_smile: it seems a bit expensive though so you could just as well buy an imac no? I got a new macbook pro 15" so i would like an extra screen, just not sure to go with the cinema display or another monitor! :slight_smile:

I love the Cinema Display, mine is now 3 years old and it works perfectly. I use it 12 hours a day 5 days a week. Never had an issue with it. Highly recommended! I even used it for print design but I have to admit there are better displays out there for print work (Eizo)

$ 1000 for 3 years that comes down to $ 28 a month, considering how much you can make with it it’s a bargain. And it’s still worth like $ 500 if you want to sell it. so then if you have used it for 3 years and sell it for $ 500 it costed you $ 14 a month.

Also worth considering that you can replace the Laptop every year easily if you want to keep up with the latest and greatest, you can sell a MBA more easily to non web design oriented folks then a 27 inch iMac and then on top of that you can carry it if you’re on the go.

It’s an iMac on your Desk and a MacBook Air/Pro in your bag. :slight_smile: 2 in 1 style

thanks for all replies… good to read that is it going well with all that applications and work. So, i think i am closer to MBA … for sure i will go to store to touch it and feel it :smiley:
Retina would be great too, but that is way of my budget.

||+827676|pixel-fabric said-|| thanks for all replies.. good to read that is it going well with all that applications and work. So, i think i am closer to MBA .. for sure i will go to store to touch it and feel it :D Retina would be great too, but that is way of my budget.

Retina, however good it may be, might cause some problem for graphic designing. My only complaint with retina is that I can’t preview how images on the web will look like on non-retina resolution :frowning:

I guess if you’re not pushing too much through it at once then there’s no reason a quad core with a few gigs of RAM should have any problems… for me with the AIR the problem is the screen size… is 13" really large enough for doing graphic work… personally i’m not so sure so i’d stick with a 15" MBP

nCrafts said
||+827676|pixel-fabric said-|| thanks for all replies.. good to read that is it going well with all that applications and work. So, i think i am closer to MBA .. for sure i will go to store to touch it and feel it :D Retina would be great too, but that is way of my budget.

Retina, however good it may be, might cause some problem for graphic designing. My only complaint with retina is that I can’t preview how images on the web will look like on non-retina resolution :frowning:

If I had retina I still be working on external monitor … Just that hardware setup and portability is pretty good…