What to do about stolen designs by other Authors?

I saw someone else make a cheap copy of a item that I recently made and is currently trending. Sad to see Envato accept this. Because the product was made with copy paste over mine. He even copied exactly the fonts that I have not seen used in envato before and that I have used recently. On top of that, things like hierarchy, layout, and photo positioning are all the same. The cheap copy is literally %95 same to mine. I just sent a ticket, frankly I don’t know if i get results. I wonder if something like this has happened to you?

hi I had once a guy to illegally download my item, who changed a couple of superficial details and posted as “his”, I tried to contact the help center once I realized (after the guy made a few sales), they tried to tell me to have DMCA paper fulfilled but after insisting they simply took the copy away from the catalogue of items

1 Like

Wow! I really don’t understand how this copycat get approved. Beside that it is a poor copy. The textures are low res and the model is horribly isolated. This definitely should be deleted and the author banned.

1 Like

@Brejoa, fill in a DMCA and drop it to Envato Authors Help and Support and it will be investigated and dealt with promptly.

Might have something to do with remembering all 919,833 items. These things can slip through, and that’s where a DMCA and a disabled account does wonders! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m wondering about quality here. Check the high res preview to see.

1 Like

On stolen design owners claim to his designs which may also be punishable with fine.

1 Like

Look at the flyers that been approved right now. They are 95% copy cats and every day you see the same authors that gets approved their stuff. A background, lots of text and a female model. Tons of the same items. It doesn’t matter about good or bad typo. The review system is very bad these days. Before COVID there were much better reviewers that recognize quality and not quantity. When you got a rejection from that old reviewers you knew your flyer was not ready for the marketplace but now when you got a rejection from one of the Mexicans you really have no clue why. I quit uploading, it’s not worth it anymore.

1 Like

Sir / ma’am, i can understand the copying the trending graphic moves like cut paper or neon lights. I can understand and be naive to say “inspire” but here is the thing he literally made cheap copy. He tried to do my effects but couldnt made it (thanks to photoshop and smartobjects), so he went just texts black bg, the same paper cut+ model. I am not saying that looks similar, that is directly copy paste (%90-95). What i am sad too see is seeing Envato’s “complicated, deep and very organized review team” had approved this cheap copy.

I am filling DMCA form. I hope this issue will end soon. The important part is we “all the hard-working authors” trying to make great (at least good :slight_smile: ) designs and spending hours and then end up seeing some copycat stole your whole design and gets approved. :confused: I couldnt answer you all. Thanks for all you replies (special thanks to @DesignSomething for commenting that guy’s item too) . I will inform you when any news happens.

@anon1793733 I agree with u on the fact that some styles are too prominent here and that there should be more space for variety rather than massive submissions of nuances of the same thing / style all being approved (or almost)

// UPDATE //
According to the information given to me, Dmca will take this product down. I do not want to argue with the author who did this, but in reference to his reply to me, if he or others thinking like him are reading this; I would like to point out that this is directly against the Envato’s rules (this is a direct ban reason) and above all, it is disrespectful to the authors who put in effort.

Thank you to everyone who followed this topic and helped me through.

1 Like

Has someone copied your design ? Here’s what you do next. Make Sure You Actually Recorded Your Idea. Prove The Alleged Thief Could Have

I fully agree with u all the way about not doing anything personal with people, this is regrettable that the guy did just this but maybe he will have opportunity to think about it about reconsider what he did , as sort of second chance so to speak, after all the main thing is that the item is gone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jorhahiltan What do you mean by recording? I couldnt understand.

Ignore jorhahiltan’s post. That’s a spam bot.

1 Like

Addons category is a bunch copied items with lowest price… I had a case where the other side it does not at all try to prove that it is not a copy, just keep going upload items and this is the fault of Envato because it does not penalty things like this.
It is unbelievable that some authors have several items approved per week, all similar with different titles and always the lowest price, market is full of low quality and same items and no one reacts to it…

1 Like

This reminds me of some “good old” (if you know what I mean) memories: There was an author who had a propensity to copy other authors’ work (& his own work, as well. It was so blatant that I was kind of surprised that I had had to report it)

The same guy is still here and selling products on this platform.

Anyway, reporting suspicious activity is (still) a responsibility of yours, but what Envato does with that “info” is completely their business.

Good luck.

1 Like

The copycat item is live and well and soon you will see sales.

the item is down by dmca. But there is another thing that the author has my phone number + address (turns out we live in same country) he called me and said that he’s going to sue me (i dont know how a guilty person says that). So I didn’t think I would be sued for claiming my license rights. There are also other things he said but i do not want to expose all of them in forum. I will send a ticket about this situation.

Sue you? For what? Block his phone number and just ignore him. His is just upset because he was busted. This guy should be banned forever.

1 Like