What are Envato's plans for ThemeForest?

Cheers, Bedros!

1 Like

@tannercampbell making a word bold doesnā€™t make it correct one,

and i have already submitted items in queue for admin templates section so i donā€™t think thats a valid point, they canā€™t sell me something on elements, if i really want somethingā€¦i will buy it and use in my project, i wait for another year to get added my desired template into elements.

and unless you are shameless, you canā€™t go to a stall which you gave for rent and those who are walking into their store, will you stop them and tell them thatā€¦hey donā€™t buy here, i am selling bunch of them at another store, come buy there for cheap priceā€¦?

I have seen eyecare centers, photography, saloons inside walmartā€¦ now i want to take a pic and trying to get in then a walmart sales rep comes and tellsā€¦hey this guy rented this space but we opened another store where you can take unlimited photos( you just need to mention why you are taking each picā€¦you can even say uploading to fb :wink: ) for a monthly priceā€¦is that acceptable to you?

another point regarding all types of elements related adsā€¦

in elements pages, for related products etcā€¦why canā€™t they give links to themeforest?

Are you not satisfied with items here? we have gigantic store called themeforest, do checkout

thats called intra-company advertisingā€¦ not just one way

2 Likes

Yes itā€™s quite distasteful, but legally their right. I pointed this out a month earlier in the Elite section and they said this internal marketing will continue for several months.

The problem is, some of the authors feel like theyā€™re leveraging our traffic - especially the ones using several marketing channels to bring traffic to their item page, only to be distracted by other offerings.

You can complain if you like, or you can adapt. Iā€™m doing more projects faster and cheaper because of elements, which has increased my monthly revenue. I think what theyā€™re doing is great because it works for me. If it doesnā€™t work for you, change what works for you. They arenā€™t going to tank Elements; itā€™s a smart business move. They are doing precisely what @ThemeSphere said: theyā€™re leveraging your traffic (and to be fair, their own). This is going to earn them more revenue, which is their #1 priority (itā€™s any businessā€™s #1 priority if they want to stay in business).

Though maybe we disagree because we donā€™t do the same thing. Iā€™m a web developer and designer, Iā€™m not a theme author. I find customers, sign a contract, and as part of that contract build custom one-off Wordpress themes and then fill them with client data and imagery. Elements helps me reduce my cost and the other Envato markets help me do the same. Youā€™re a theme author (Iā€™m assuming), you create one template and attempt to sell it to many people. We might do the same thing (design for the web) but we donā€™t operate the same. So maybe this does suck for you.

Make the most of it, because thatā€™s all you can really do.

Iā€™m actually dealing with something similar. Iā€™m growing a media production company and the medium we work in just had a bombshell hit it from the app-dev world. Itā€™s totally effing up years of planning and hard work. Apple isnā€™t going to do a damn thing the help and neither is Googleā€¦ but Iā€™m sure as hell not going to quit. Iā€™m going to make the most of it, because itā€™s all I can do and I want to succeed. Which is what you have to do, right? Even if it sucks.

On Admin Templates Page

HTML Category is dead - No Sales There For New Items.

1 Like

I have a theme, I have a Envato, ugh, no more sale :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I get what youā€™re trying to say, but essentiallyā€¦ you drink coffee, jyostna makes coffee, and the price of coffee has gone down. Thatā€™s great for coffee drinkers, but not so good for coffee makers.

A vague and not all that related analogy, but hopefully you get the point. Yes, if jyostna started drinking coffee as well, then he might benefit from thatā€¦ or if he gave up making coffee and just started drinking coffee instead, then he most likely would. But he might not want to. And if he does adapt by becoming a coffee drinker, and everyone else does the same, because itā€™s so much better to be a coffee drinker than a coffee buyerā€¦ then whoā€™s going to make the coffee for you guys to drink?

I think thatā€™s the point that everybody is trying to make. But I do get your point as well.

6 Likes

The issue is actually the advertising which is not acceptable. To use your metaphore, imagine being a coffee producer and selling your coffe in a store, of course other competitors will advertise and the store will advertise itā€™s new coffee offerings, but will you accept another brand label to be advertised on your product packaging? Because thatā€™s what we are seeing now.

2 Likes

Maybe the market reached the top last or this year and Envato is aware of this. They would like to earn as much as possible in a short term thatā€™s why all the negative changes like fixed buyer fee, Envato elements and sites.
I think we all face the low and unpredictable visits and sales. We will see what future brings but Iā€™m not too optimistic.

3 Likes

This is worrying because we are a brand new author and we want to contribute with fresh new functionality and design ideas like on our first theme which are expensive because we have to research and develop completely new and original code.

If being an author is not profitable anymore soon you can expect lot of authors becoming your competition and take your customers or lowering price of your work. That is price of ā€œyou can adaptā€.

Regarding topic, yes I think Themeforest market will die, sooner or later. There will be only authors from countries that work for peanuts and few power elites. Envato counts on them.

1 Like

And then, one day, everything will circle back again and new markets for themes (or whatever it will call) will open, but for that to happen new development revolution (new way of work) is needed.

So in long run Iā€™m optimistic, but in the meantime, some adaption will happen.

Envato we need you back to take care of all of ass not just the imlionares here. Open your eyes because this ship will sink if this continues like this. Everybody complains that the visits items dropped more then 50%. What is happening???

1 Like

Something is happening because the visits and sales have drop dramatically in the last days. Probably Envato stoped advertising Themeforest for Elements. If we advertise our products, our clients go to elements as well because of thouse sneaky adds that are stealing the last remaining clients.
We demand an official Envato response! Where is the staff now? We hadnā€™t heard anything official in days, and please no more: elements clients are not TFā€™s clients bsā€¦

8 Likes

We stopped our daily job to work full-time on Envato (ThemeForest), we abandoned insurance for what !!.
For some users, post theme with 100+ demos for 19$ or 39$, who will buy the theme for 59$ and we are not on the popular page ?!
Envato you need to limit WordPress minimum price to 44$.

5 Likes

Yes the price freedom is a wrong decision, it is a chaos on the marketā€¦

Guys, they donā€™t care, focus on changing business strategy if you still want to sell here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yesā€¦
even if they realize their mistake, their ego stops them from accepting it.

Yes, Themeforest going to die pretty fast, today i received below image on envato element newletter

1 Like