Two Sale Reversal after 7 months!!!

I’ve just got a sale reversal from Octobar!He used my track for 6,7 months,and now reversal,realy envato?Isn’t there some kind of time limit!Why is this allowed?

The payment provider initiated the reversal of paid money. PayPal users for example can file a dispute up to 180 days after purchase and in addition, there is the period of processing the sale-reversal by Envato.

1 Like

This is crazy to me. When I purchase something I have the right to reverse the payment within 8 or 15 days usually (at least here in Europe)…after that: deal done… I don’t get why Envato doesn’t put similar commercial rules to its items, it would be commercially fair
good luck with sales anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

In most cases, you have the right to initiate a charge back up to 6 months later. You may be thinking of refunds, which have different rules.

2 Likes

Couldn’t any random person just hypothetically buy something for an add, and once they stop airing the commercial, reverse the sale to get the money back and no one would ever actually find out?

That is possible, yes. Some random person could also steal you car and it’s possible that nobody would ever find out… but thankfully, most people don’t. My point is that just because something is physically possible, it doesn’t mean everyone is automatically going to do it. The fact that some people can, and probably do, is unfortunate… but there’s not much that can be done.

2 Likes

well yes, I agree. I might be struck by a lightning as well…who knows
My point is just that: it would be much fair if regulated. If there are no rules about time limits, the door will be open for unfair reversals.
good luck everyone :slight_smile:

It is regulated. The rule for time limits is 180 days.

The rules are set by the payment providers, credit card institutes and banks.
As a online shop owner you can accept these rules and play by the rules or don’t offer a particular payment method, like Amazon who did not offer to pay with PayPal.

Considering there’s hackers who torrent stuff from sites like this, there’s definitely people abusing the system in a much simpler and easier way right now, and on top of that I’ve even seen plenty of cases of authors here complaining that they’ve heard their songs used but haven’t got any sales. I’ve met professionals who make $80/hr or $100/hr who talk about abusing systems like that to save money, and I’m 100% some of my own client base does it. But, I have no resources to enforce anything, and even if I could I’m not going to cause trouble for that many people anyway, I’d rather have some customers over systematically annoying every customer by implying they may have stole money and forcing them to go back through all their files to verify something.
That’s why I simply suggested envato make the base price higher based on the percentage of revenue they lose from this abuse. My immediate guess is that the higher price would still be lower than on competing platforms like pond5 and soundsnap and and istock and etc. I think they may have risen the price with music actually, but not with other products as far as I’ve seen.

The only companies that don’t have an incentive to do it are really really large companies because they’re not going to risk losing hundreds of thousands of dollars over a $4 license mistake, they’re going to be under the microscope much more often.

yep I know…I was considering the issue from a seller perspective.

How do we know items aren’t currently priced to take into account the amount of revenue they lose from reversals?

They already raised music prices a while back, so they probably are now, but otherwise because AJ is way cheaper than other sites, it’s already undervaluing the market to begin with.