Transferring theme to another account IS possible, per the Envato FAQs... But how?

Hello.

We are an agency that purchased a theme for a client site.

That client is now taking on the site themselves, and naturally want access to the theme we purchased for them.

According to the FAQs:

Is my license transferable?

Generally, your license is not transferable. There are a few exceptions:

1. If you are a freelancer / agency using the item for a single end product for one client. The license would in effect be transferred to the client.
  2. If you sell the single instance of an end product, such as a website installation. The license would in effect be transferred to the new owner.

In all of these cases, be sure to point the client / customer / recipient to the license terms and delete the item from your own systems.
    Example: You use a theme to create your website. Later, you sell that website to someone else. You are allowed to do this, but you then must delete the theme from your systems.

In our situation, either case 1 or 2 would permit the transfer, and we are more than happy to remove all references to this theme from our systems, but none of the FAQ explains how to a) transfer the license, and b) delete the theme from our Downloads section…

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

You can ‘transfer’ the license and the source to use the theme BUT you cannot transfer the ability to access downloads and/or updates. These only ever sit with the purchasing account.

The only way you can ensure the client retains access to downloads and updates is to use the Envato plugin to automate the process

1 Like

Great, thanks for the prompt reply!

So is there some documentation showing how to transfer the license between accounts, and then register the theme from within the site’s admin?

I have tried hunting, but found nothing…

Thanks again!

You can just send them the license doc from the download then for the plugin Envato Market WordPress Plugin

Thanks. Theme & Slider Revolution updated fine.

But WP bakery still display this error message:

Shouldn’t it update with the theme?

Clicking the Settings link takes me to this page:

And clicking Activate WPBakery Page Builder takes to a page requiring a login:
https://support.wpbakery.com/login

Does a theme purchase not also provide us with updates to this plugin?

Thanks again.

Only the theme author can activate a plugin Bundled Plugins – Envato Market Help Center

It may be that this is restricted in the transfer process - I’d suggest reaching out to the the theme/plugin author to check the details

So, when you say “license doc from the download”, exactly what are you talking about?

Because when I download any of these three, I cannot find anything that says it is the “License Number” or “License ID” or anything similar…

The PDF and TXT both have:

• Licensee (our company name)
  • Item Title (name of theme)
  • Item ID (8-digit number)
  • Item Purchase Code (36-characters, with dashes)

Thanks again.

Also, when I create a Envato API Personal Token and enter it into the Envato Market WordPress Plugin, this seems to allow me to download any purchase we have ever made using our account.

So, if I enable this on a customer site, they will too, won’t they?

Is it not possible to limit their access to only the products used on their site?

Sorry, I found the answer to this issue, using a Single Item Token, instead of just the Envato API Personal Token:

And apparently the “License Number” or “License ID” is actually the “Item ID” that can be found in either “License certificate & purchase code” document (PDF or TXT), which are NOT included in the “All files & documentation” download…

This would all be much simpler if this were simply simpler… :slight_smile: