2016 was the year of changes on Themeforest. Author-driving pricing, review queue changes, Envato Elements and Envato Hosted were introduced. Seems like Envato team worked really hard this year on all of these innovations.
But we should not forget those, without whom ThemeForest will never be like this. We’re talking about authors.
Browsing Envato forums we frequently saw topics where authors discussed different tendencies and possible upcoming trends of template market. There were a lot of issues from sales dynamics to design trends and everything in between in those topics.
That is why we decided to provide a study in several parts regarding such aspects of template business as sales, trends, sales dynamics and other entertaining stuff. We hope that this study will be interesting and useful for all the authors.
Let’s start with basics. More then 10000 items were uploaded on ThemeForest in 2016. In comparison with previous year the amount of added items raised by almost 68%.
Now let’s proceed a bit further. Wordpress themes were always one of the biggest categories on Themeforest. No surprises, but Wordpress themes is still the most popular category. For the moment of writing this article, the TOP-5 biggest categories looks like this:
1. Wordpress Themes - 3052 added items in 2016
2. Website Templates - 2978 added items in 2016
3. PSD Templates - 2053 added items in 2016
4. Email Templates - 472 added items in 2016
5. Joomla Themes - 300 added items in 2016
But what was the numbers in 2015? We’ve got that covered. If we’ll compare this year’s results with the past year’s amount of added items, we can put together the TOP-5 fastest growing categories and the places will be distributed in other way:
1. Shopify template - 323.4% more added items than in 2015
2. PSD template - 204.6% more added items than in 2015
3. Sketch template - 130% more added items than in 2015
4. Website template - 92.1% more added items than in 2015
5. PrestaShop - 59.5% more added items than in 2015
This TOP-5 is far more representable than the previous one. From it we can assume this:
* We definitely will see more Shopify templates and demand on them in 2017
* The bigger is the demand the more is the supply. As we can see, there are two e-commerce categories in the TOP. We think that e-commerce market will hugely grow in 2017
* Although Sketch Templates category didn’t grow that much in absolute values, but the relative values are saying that Sketch Templates are getting more attention from authors, who like to experiment with new. We believe that Sketch Templates will find their audience represented by both authors and buyers.
And for the end of the first article we’ve got something else. Here are graphs on added items for 2015’s December and 2016’s December.
What is your opinion on the topic? Discussion is welcomed.
Thanks a lot for reading. The second part is available through this link.
How to get more sales for your upcoming item. ThemeForest statistical overview. Part #3
PSD Template sales insights. Themeforest statistical overview. Part #4