Tell us which Studio Monitors do you use?

I switched from Event 20/20 to DIY-speakers due to lack of space. They’re called CT227 XT and I love them!
http://quint-audio.com/qaudio/files/baumappe_ct227_xt.pdf

Thank you to all for participating in this thread.

LumenMedia said

My monitor line Even TR8-Adam F5-JBL LSR305. More than proper monitors you need to treat acoustically your room. My mixes improved after i fixed almost all problems with reflections in my home studio.

Are you satisfied with Adam F5 and do you think that they are in professional class of studio monitors? I wanted to buy Adam A7x, but I’ve got F7 for double lower price then A7x. I doubt that the quality is as lower as the price. Can you recommend some good tutorials for improving the studio room acoustically?

StoneColed said

A friend of mine who owns a major studio uses Adam, and they always sound great through his 64 track SSL board. They are way out of my price range, and I found these for $219 a pair from Sam Ash Direct on eBay.

I bought Adam F7 for 510 euros, that is about 634 US dollar. Maybe you can find them for even lower price on eBay?!

StoneColed said

I think that referencing songs that were recorded in a big time studio on almost any system is the most important thing.

I totally agree!

Behringer MS20

DoubleLion said

it’s probably all about learning your particular room/monitors combination.

+1. While having something decent is important, ultimately monitor/speaker type are secondary to knowing your room and speakers. NS-10s were originally a hifi speaker :) BTW I also use HS-50s and very happy with them for now. My monitor of choice though would be a pair of Focal cms50.

No monitors,only headphones,Audio Technica M50.

ADAM A7X
so mach adams and yamaha :smiley:

Neumann KH120 - love them. I upgraded a few years back from a pair of Mackie MR5s, also nice for the price, but switching to the Neumanns was a fantastic improvement in balance and clarity. I’m not a mixing genius by any means but being able to hear everything makes a big difference.

I use to sketch the song on my no name computer speakers. Then, move the project on the studio and mix there, on the Barefoot Micromain 27 . Best monitors I ever used.

Been using a pair of Genelec 1032Bs for about a year now. Can’t imagine my life before these guys. Simply amazing.

Behringer Truth B2031a. Maybe one day I’ll upgrade, but so much of music production - from preamps to mics to monitors - is balancing increased $$$ with diminishing returns. Yes, this sounds better than that, but is it enough to justify the purchase, or does it just sound a little better? Already my cheapish monitors sound better than what 99.9% of people are going to be listening to a mix on. If we were all really smart, we’d mix using generic car speakers, television speakers, crap movie-theatre spearks, and iphone earbuds to get a sense of what the mix is REALLY going to end up sounding like. :slight_smile:

KRK VXT8s :slight_smile:

right now i’m working on alesis 320usb…cuz i’m not home haha. they suck, but better than being in headphones all day. at home, i’m using adam p33a’s. love em.

So we have:

Adam F7/
Yamaha HS-50M (2 users)/
Yamaha NS10M (2 users)/
Auratone 5c Cubes /
Event 20/20/
Behringer Truth 203A (3 users)/
Tannoy 601a/
Adam a8/
Even TR8/
Adam F5/
JBL LSR305/
Alesis M1 Active Mk2 (2 users)/
M-Audio BX8 D2/
Yamaha msp7/
Tannoy Reveal 501/
PMC/
ADAM A7X (2 users)/
Event Electronics ASP6/
Avantone Mixcube/
Adam A8X/
Mackie MR5 MKII/
Samson Resolv SE6/
Adam audio A77X/
Event 20/20 /
CT227 XT/
Yamaha HS80M/
Behringer MS20/
Neumann KH120/
Barefoot Micromain 27/
Genelec 1032B/
KRK VXT8/
Alesis M1Active 320 USB/
Adam p33a/

Very colorful :slight_smile:

I would like to know what studio equipment (and in this context which studio monitors) elite authors on AJ have?! :slight_smile:

I use focal cms65’s and wouldn’t use anything else
Just an amazing pair of monitors

damn, i think only me use cheapest speaker and headphone for monitor around here. i think my monitor set just around 10 buck :x

KRK Rockit 5s. Had them for 5 years, only monitors I’ve owned. Seem pretty good to me. Which one are the Yamahas that sound like crap if your mix isn’t perfect?

I agree that without at least a bit of treatment you cant mix properly even if you have awesome speakers

Got BX5 d2 and no treatment, mixing is a pain in the ass. :wink:

bdProductions said

Which one are the Yamahas that sound like crap if your mix isn’t perfect?

That's the legend about Yamaha NS10M.