Should I give a refund?

Hello,

We are new at themeforest,
And it’s our first request for refund.

I read before a lot of questions about this, but what I didn’t find is a advice is it better to give a refund or not for such clients?
Because it seems that the client will criticise us in comments and maybe give a bad review, even not try to use our theme. He/she asked for a refund after 10 minutes of purchase.

2 Likes

It is depending on you first.
Envato market have some rules/policy about cusomer refund

1 Like

Thanks, I forgot to write that the client has already downloaded the item. Sorry.
I want advice about such a client, I mean for sure someone met clients with manners like that and should I give back the money, because it would cost me tons of nerves. Or it is ok and he/she will calm down)

1 Like

Hello @MaitreArt

Unfortunately for the customer, “the theme is not what i was expecting” is not a viable argument for requesting a refund.

It clearly states that in the refund policy:

Neither Envato nor authors are obliged to give policy refunds in any of the situations listed below.

• You don’t want it after you’ve downloaded it
  • The item did not meet your expectations or you feel the item is of low quality
  • You simply change your mind
  • You bought an item by mistake
  • You do not have sufficient expertise to use the item
  • You claim that you are entitled to a refund but do not provide sufficient information as to why you are entitled to a refund
  • You can no longer access the item because it has been removed or the author who previously provided the item is no longer active on our platform (we advise you to download items as soon as you have purchased them to avoid this situation).

Now I can understand your frustration with the comments or with a possible bad review, however due to the fact that the customer doesn’t have a solid reason for requesting a refund, and taking into consideration the fact that you, as an author, did everything by the book and maintained a professional attitude while dealing with your customer, Envato can help you by removing the rating and the comment.

Threatening an author with bad comments and bad reviews never ends up well for the customers and you should not be afraid to reject a refund for those reasons.

If you want to decline his refund request, you can politely invite the customer to raise a dispute with Envato and they will take over this issue.

The choice is yours but I strongly recommend you follow Envato’s policies.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!!! I will follow the policy.
And if the client will give a bad review I will ask envato to remove it.

1 Like

My advice be polite (always). Always mention number of successful sales (30+ are already happy). And only then put envato policy in the end. They may leave negative rating, but then you may ask Envato to remove it.
p.s. Envato made some page with txt examples on how to respond to such requests.

1 Like

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Sorry to opening the topic again. How did this situation end up? I think I’m having the similar situation over here. Buyer purchased my PHP script thinking that it was a WordPress plugin. Downloaded it and wants a refund right now. I don’t know what to do.

We continued to argue with the client via email and in the end I said contact envato help and argue with them, I can’t do anything. And that’s it. The client have never contacted us, we haven’t refund from her and bad review.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! Did the client make bad review? I couldn’t catch that part :slight_smile:

Oops, sorry for my English.
No, she didn’t leave any review for our team.

1 Like

No problem at all, I’m not a native speaker as well. Thanks for your kind messages and help, much appreciated!

1 Like

FYI just because you ask Envatoto remove a review does not mean they will. It will only be removed if it does not meet the context. If it is a review saying your product is not worth it etc. then that is a opinion. But putting your comment you will contact Envato to remove a review is highly suspect on your end. Also this Forum comes up with your name attached and people can search your comments and see what you say. So the comments here can deter sales. Just thought I would let you know. You might want to watch what you say in the forums because if it does not look good, people will not want to buy from you. FYI!