Our future vs broadcast use in Elements

Hello composers and producers. Some of you may know me as an author of the AJ Community Guide. Some of you met me on Meetups which I hosted or visited. I try to be useful for the Community I belong to. I think it’s ok to share thoughts and experience, not only to take profit and complain.

Why am I writing about it? Because I want to discuss our future, which may be controversial for some of you. And to prove that I am not a typical complainer who only cares for his earnings. Let’s put the cat among the pigeons. Let’s talk about the broadcast use in Elements. If you are an author who has not been invited to Elements yet, please read it, especially point 13 because it applies to you too.

Background:

Few years ago Envato added audio to Envato Elements (EE). What did the authors say? We all have started to shout that broadcast use has to be removed from Elements (EE). Yep, me too. We were happy when Envato finally removed it. But now I think we should allow the broadcast use in EE. Why? Let’s think about it:

1. Sync licensing goes down. The golden era for stock authors has ended.
  2. Authors will agree for the low earnings because we are not efficiently united INSIDE our online services (stock/publishers/streaming services etc.). Such services exploit authors and will exploit even more.
  3. Only Performing Rights Organizations (PROs) and international copyright can protect us. This institution unites composers OUTSIDE their online services.
  4. Monetization and royalties outside the Envato are growing.
  5. PRO royalties are growing. If we do not allow broadcast use in EE, we will not get these royalties.
  6. PRO royalties will be HUGE. I mean, REALLY HUGE. This will compensate the lower income from AudioJungle.
  7. The PRO reporting of stock music isn’t perfect at this moment. But now it is improving and will be way more efficient in the next years. PROs will help “online” composers just as they helped “traditional” ones in the past. In some musical branches PRO royalties are bigger than direct sales.
  8. We should stick with the branches of the music industry which generate the biggest royalties collected by PROs. Why? Because PROs are the only institutions which will compensate the fall of the stock earnings and execute the copyright. The biggest royalties are in the TV / cinema / radio, especially in the broadcasted commercials.
  9. Sooner or later some other stock will offer a huge portfolio with broadcast use. And steal our clients. (Uh… this already happenned…)
  10. Specializing only in the music delivered to online media is a bad idea.
  11. Adding a broadcast use to EE will simplify the licensing. Lack of the broadcast use limits the potential of the whole EE. Let’s increase valuable demand response.
  12. Broadcast increases the popularity of a track.
  13. The biggest problem is with the authors who have not been invited to EE yet. Adding broadcast use to EE will temporarily decrease income from AJ.
  14. Many clients already use EE tracks in the broadcasts.
  15. Envato doesn’t help in reporting cue sheets but we can convince the staff that tiny simple changes can make a difference.

1. Sync licensing goes down. The golden era for stock authors has ended.

When online stocks like AudioJungle were introduced, the music industry looked totally different. Cheap online stock turned out to be a huge niche for the growing number of online content creators. This is why AJ was so successful and this is why authors earned so much money in that time. Was it because our music was so exceptional? No. It was because Envato was a strong company without strong competition in a huge niche.

Now, in 2023 everything looks different. Market is full of stocks focused on cheap mass sales or specialized in specific genres, moods and purposes. There are countless old and new publishers who introduced online services too. Clients move from a traditional licensing to subscription model. What does it mean for us? It means that big stocks and publishers (like Envato) fight for mass clients. Their main weapons are:

a) lowering price
b) simplifying licensing process
c) creating huge and versatile database

As an effect, the price for the single license goes down. And guess who’s gonna lose money? Of course authors, because authors only create music, without taking part in managing the online stocks.

It is happening in the whole audio-video industry. Netflix, Spotify, Splice…

2. Authors will agree for the low earnings because we are not efficiently united INSIDE our online services (stock/publishers/streaming services etc.). Such services exploit authors and will exploit even more.

Individually we can do nothing. And there are always authors willing to upload music to online services even though earnings are very low. Especially:

a) authors from countries with a low cost of living - in such countries prices are low so even small earnings can cover their needs.

b) the beginners - they treat it as an experiment, starting point or a chance to find a wider public. They usually have a financial stability outside the music or low needs so they do not care for a good and stable earnings

c) authors who don’t care too much / don’t speak English very good - they simply register in various online services and agree to everything hoping that their music “somehow” will become popular or generate extra cash. It costs them nothing. This is the phenomenon of music databases on TikTok, Instagram and Youtube Shorts which are full of free-to-use music which can be added there by… uploading music to streaming services via aggregators or CID partners using default settings.

I am not saying that uploading music to such services is bad. I am saying that it is a tendency we cannot stop. We can try to delay the process but we can’t stop it.

3. Only Performing Rights Organizations (PROs) and international copyright can protect us. This institution unites composers OUTSIDE their online services.

Online services (including stocks!) will exploit authors more and more. Fortunately PROs are big enough to fight with the exploitation by:

a) keeping up the pressure on the online services to execute copyright
b) keeping up the pressure on the lawmakers to modify the copyright
c) compensate exploitation and lack of balance by collecting and paying royalties directly to authors

PROs can’t control prices set by stocks or publishers because we have a free market. However they can balance the industry by collecting the royalties from the income generated by such services. They can also keep up the pressure on the fields where illegal use of music is huge. Do you remember the time when you could upload any Hans Zimmer or Britney Spears track on your channel without any consequences? Even though Youtube introduced its own CID system, it is still an effect of the copyright execution.

Currently PROs have a relatively low efficiency in collecting “stock-related royalties” and negotiating satisfying royalties rates with online services. But believe me, many actions have been taken in the past. This is why…

4. …Monetization and royalties outside the Envato are growing.

PROs and copyright work slowly but consistently. Examples of the current direct and indirect effects important for AJ/EE authors:

a) Youtube CID monetization:

This is a great example of successful execution of the copyright against illegal use of music. AJ / EE portfolio can earn $$$$ or even $$$$$ (!) per month from monetization these days (do you remember when I started to convince you to register with CID and move from AdRev to Identifyy?)

b) PRO royalties:

Even though the reporting isn’t perfect, royalties are rapidly increasing. Big AJ / EE portfolio usually earns something like $$$$ or $$$$$ per year and is still growing. The PROs efficiency increases year after year BUT at the same time AudioJungle dies and we sell less broadcast licenses :frowning:

c) CID royalties collected by PROs:

Besides the monetization, PROs collect other small royalties. Usually $$ or $$$ per month but it is still growing, it should be bigger with every next contract signed between PROs and Youtube, Spotify etc.

d) CID on Facebook, Instagram:

still very small but it should be bigger in the near future

e) wide use of Soundmouse reporting system which highly increases royalties tracking. PROs start to use automatic audio fingerprinting technology which is a game changer for stock composers

f) growing royalties from Spotify and other streaming services

g) famous ACTA in the European Union which will highly increase efficiency of the copyright execution in the EU

h) creating international online composers and works databases and institutions like the MLC which (they collected almost $1 billion, only in mechanical royalties in something like two years), Songtrust, NRG etc. which can help in collecting international royalties.

You think that’s not enough? I agree, that’s not enough now. But let’s think long-term.

5. PRO royalties are growing. If we do not allow broadcast use in EE, we will not get these royalties.

We earn some cash from broadcast sales on AudioJungle. But AudioJungle is dying and we will sell less and less in the next years. How many years are left before earnings will not be sufficient even for the most of top sellers? Two? Three? We lose our broadcast clients now with no compensation in EE. In other words we currently lose our future royalties.

6. PRO royalties will be HUGE. I mean, REALLY HUGE. This will compensate the lower income from AudioJungle.

Just imagine that our tracks are widely used in TV commercials. Like I said, one commercial can generate from 1000$ to 50000$. Unfortunately now our tracks are used in TV commercials VERY RARELY, because AJ licenses are tricky and EE doesn’t allow it.

AudioJungle give me royalties from a few bigger TV commercials per year. I expect that Elements with broadcast use could result in few commercials per month!

7. The PRO reporting of stock music isn’t perfect at this moment. But it is improving and will be way more efficient in the next years. PROs will help “online” composers just as they helped “traditional” ones in the past. In some musical branches PRO royalties are bigger than direct sales.

Actually a similar problem was in the TV, radio and film industry many years ago. How did it end? Now there are branches of the music industry in which composers create music for free (!), fight for placing their tracks in tv/cinema/radio and earn decent money only from PRO royalties (usually split in half with the publisher(!) ). Just think of publishers who cover TV series or… popular song makers.

8. We should stick with the branches of the music industry which generate the biggest royalties collected by PROs. Why? Because PROs are the only institutions which will compensate the fall of the stock earnings and execute the copyright. The biggest royalties are in the TV / cinema / radio, especially in the broadcasted commercials.

We have great tracks for this already. Why can’t we use them?

9. Sooner or later some other stock will offer a huge portfolio with broadcast use. And steal our clients.

Envato audio should stick with the TV / Cinema / Radio before some other big stock offers a cheap subscription model with big and versatile database with simple license allowing broadcast use.

Oh, wait, didn’t P###5 did it a few months ago? Not mentioning many other smaller services. Not mentioning publishers. Envato is very strong now. We can win the battle and take a huge part of the broadcast pie which generates huge royalties AND is under the good old PRO protection.

10. Specializing only in music delivered to online media is a bad idea.

Like I said, it is a bad idea because:

a) sync licensing prices are falling down
b) tv/cinema/radio PRO royalties are growing
c) internet-related royalties are dynamically growing but it will take many years until they reach stable long-term level
d) in the future the biggest online services which allow to create and post audio-video content will have their own decent and free databases (e.g. Youtube, Canva, Adobe, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and others have it already). This means that regular content creators will prefere to use a free in-the-box quickly and automatically adjusted content in their services instead of buying tracks in the 3rd party servies. In other words there will be a crazy number of free tracks to use in the online media in the near future. Specializing only in the online music use is a dead end imho.

Maybe it is a good idea for small players. Not for authors from Envato.

11. Adding a broadcast use to EE will simplify the licensing. Lack of the broadcast use limits the potential of the whole EE. Let’s increase valuable demand response.

Let’s see the behavior of the typical stock/publisher audio clients:

a) individual small online content creators: vloggers, podcasters, amateurs posting slideshows with their cats etc. They are happy with the EE license because they create online stuff. They are a huge group, they create low/standard quality content.

b) small audio-video freelancers creating cheap video commercials, promos, trailers, presentations etc. They usually create online stuff but regularly need a broadcast license. So again they download track on EE, then buy the license on AJ or… go to other stock or… don’t care and use the track without license. If they buy a broadcast license on AJ, they are frustrated by the vague license rules, removed items, tricky variation policy, price changes or again… they don’t care and use your track often with the wrong broadcast license. Afterwards they transfer the license to their client and wish that he will not have any problems with the license for the music track they have chosen. They are a medium group, they create a low/standard/good quality content.

Sooner or later they will definitely move to other cheap and big stock with simpler licensing including broadcast, just to avoid problems. Many of them have already moved. I have many friends in the audio-video industry. They have been using AudioJungle and audio from Elements for years. None of them use it anymore.

c) big audio-video freelancers and media agencies: they are a small group with big wallets creating good-great content. Some of their campaigns are broadcast via different media, tv, cinema, live, in toys etc. They already moved to other stocks because they treat license rules seriously. They simply can’t afford that their client will face any problems with licenses, variations, audience size, live performance, removed items etc. They are used to buying expensive tracks but they need a wide and simple license.

d) movie and video game industry, VOD streaming services like HBO, Netflix, Discovery: they traditionally use other publishers and stocks because… they need a wide and simple license…

If we add broadcast use to EE, professionals will return to us. So let’s increase valuable demand response. If we don’t do it, we will stick with small content creators and their cat slideshows and Call of Duty gameplays forever. Inspiring, right?

Keep in mind that this is the poorest target possible. They do not need the best quality, they need a low price. So again, guess who will suffer when prices go down?

Worth to mention that there is an EE Enterprise and “team” program for bigger companies already. If the company is big, it has to pay a higher price for the subscription.

12. Broadcast increases the popularity of a track.

…so we could expect even higher earnings from monetization, streaming services etc, license buyouts etc.

Just imagine that your track, which is placed in a popular movie, becomes viral. Just imagine your earnings from the monetization.

13. The biggest problem is with the authors who have not been invited to EE yet. Adding broadcast use to EE will temporarily decrease income from AJ.

But there are few things to keep in mind. If you haven’t been invited to EE yet:

a) you will be invited sooner or later
b) when you will be invited, you probably prefer to be in the strong stock which generates way bigger earnings and royalties than AJ. Without mentioned changes, EE audio will be a second category stock imho
c) AudioJungle sooner or later will die
d) broadcast use in EE will increase the number of clients. More clients on EE = more invited authors on EE in the near future

14. Many clients already use EE tracks in the broadcasts.

They simply don’t care. Just check how many already collected royalties in your PRO indicates “Audio Jungle” or “Elements” as an author.

15. Envato doesn’t help in reporting cue sheets.

But we could ask Envato to change it. When a client downloads a track from EE, he has to fill the field in the window asking what is the name of his project. Imagine that there is a simple “broadcast” checkbox which can display PRO data (from the item details “writer” and “composer” fields) of the track. And imagine that after checking it, the client could receive a short email reminder about including correct PRO data to his cue sheet. Yep, I know it will be hard to execute it from Envato, but If you don’t take risks, you don’t drink champagne.

So let’s discuss. What is your opinion about adding broadcast use to EE?

14 Likes

Definetely good points here.
But what about the authors who are left outside of EE?
I would agree that CID brings much more than sync licensing. And i can see that it’s the future for us now. (And also P.R.O)

But this must be fair for every author. At least for the authors who wants to join in EE. Because I believe sync licensing ship is going down. (Just like CD’s and casettes :slight_smile: The change is inevitable.

3 Likes

I wrote about them in point 13. I think that sooner or later all authors will be invited to EE.

AJ dies, EE grows.

The more EE expands, the sooner all authors will be invited to EE.

Adding broadcast to EE will expand it so it will increase the number of invitations to EE.

3 Likes

Yes, i read it. But it is more like a “wishful thinking.” At least there is no official statement from Envato for now.

I can see that AJ model is dying. I totally agree with you. And adding broadcast licence to EE is clearly a good idea. Thanks for suggesting that.

I just spoke for those who wants to join EE. And with this new suggested model I definetely want to be in. And i am sure many authors would want this too.

2 Likes

I agree on everything with you, but envato must allow authors to enter EE, and at the same time select even more the new tracks.

2 Likes

what makes you say that?

How many are there currently? 5%? 10%? EE authors are already complaining of decreasing revenue. I don’t see them opening the gate anytime soon.

The “authors who have not yet been invited” are the vast majority of authors. And this majority will be kept out.

Also, what do you make of the “exclude PRO music” option? How does this work with broadcast use? Does it mean that on top of losing the upfront earnings, Royalties will be willingly given up as well? This option sort of defeat your whole point.

We fought so hard for years to obtain those broadcast licenses, now you want to throw it all away, because you got in?

This proposal is direct attack on our community and what little rights we managed to obtain from Envato. I know you don’t see it like that and don’t mean to hurt this community of which you are a much valued member… but all things considered that’s what it is, plain and simple.

5 Likes

Thanks!

Actually it is more than wishful thinking, it’s mine logical conclusion, because:

a) one of the official and obvious Envato Elements priorities is to attract a big number of clients which will create demand
b) another priority is to build a big database by inviting growing number of authors = growing supply
c) Envato try to balance demand with supply = they invite authors proporionally to the number of EE clients and their needs to keep EE authors’ earnings on satisfying level
d) in the last two-three years number of invited authors has rapidly increased. And is still growing. It is clearly visible when you analyze EE search results
e) AJ is closed for new authors so only “old” AJ authors can be invited. There is limited number of AJ authors so I think they need to wait for their turn

3 Likes

I invited to discussion. I prefere a discussion with little less rage and less ad personam.

I don’t get it. Why someone would like not to register his works with PRO? It is a waste of money even in current situation. If there is a cash, why not to take it?

Thank you for this sharing. Make me start to deep think on lot of things, that’s good. But I’m really outside the EE games, and definitely not a big player here. Reading your message, I have some issue to know where I should focus, this is of course not the topic. There’s EE in one side, but there’s also Marray Otion !

Regarding the use on TikTok / Instagram, since it’s something we can’t control or fight against, do you think is hurtful to join this train ? If we think about how theses social network will keep to grow on the long run, don’t you think future there could be benefit for us as music author related to PRO or broadcast ? Maybe some new copyright rules will be create there ?

2 Likes

Come on, there is neither rage nor ad personam in my post. Merely an opinion that’s different from yours. The discussion seems complicated indeed. And since my tone is disruptive, I’ll leave it at that last post.

Well, because there are buyers who are looking for non PRO music, and authors who want to cater to those buyers. It makes as much sense as authors giving up on license fees. There was cash there too.

3 Likes

I had analyzed it many times and my conclusion is that there is no point in being non-PRO currently and especially in the future. I am almost sure it does not increase earnings generally. Explanation would be very long, maybe other day, other topic.

I mean, there are some publishers or stocks 100% non-PRO. I doubt if it is profitable in long-term there but they may find their niche (e.g. video games). But Envato with semi-PRO system will end with almost all professionals in PRO imho.

Besides that, I could tell the same about non-CID-authors focusing on non-CID-clients. It has no point being non-CID or non-PRO.

1 Like

Yep, hard question and I don’t know the answer. I think that sooner or later such use will generate royalties. Currently it generates tiny tiny earnings. But who knows which services will dominate in the future royalties/licensing system? I think it is ok to experiment.

Btw besides that, TikTok is a Chinese company. PROs and copyright has a hardtime with Chinese law and their culture of exported services. Something tells me, that Western services are better to take part in, in context of royalties/monetization/copyright.

1 Like

Although this income is currently very very low. It is strategically interesting for us to develop where the people are. I think there will be no major conflicts between a basic and professional clientele, present on the different stock markets, and the use of Tik Tok / Insta. These are not the same targets and the same uses. If we have to adapt to a free and destructive market, I prefer to earn a few cents from people who are only amateurs, rather than having to be really free outside these social networks to reach this target! And maybe with luck, royalties can be earn there, only time will tell

For Chinese rights, this is really true :confused: But maybe Elon Musk will buy the platform and relocate it to the US haha

2 Likes

We, the mole people out of Elements, has little or nothing to contribute in this discussion. Our opinions and thoughts are always discreted when not directely ignored.

This markets are no longer a part of the ecosystem, except as a slide into Elements. When that’s over, they’ll pull out the plug. Count on that.

That said, the exclusion of broadcast licenses from Elements is for many of us the only thing we have left to pay a bill every couple of months. Let alone making a living, those days are long gone. The only way I can think of to add broadcast rights to subscription is to charge it separately with a fixed (and reasonably high) price, so it remains fair to us, the non-invited. I must say I can’t find a huge difference between that and how things are right now.

Anyway, it’s interesting to bring this to the table. I’m still running behind my PRO registration… god I’m lazy.

5 Likes

Following this thread, I had stop everything to make a whole registration week. I want to have done with all of this aha

3 Likes

Please you must sort out your PRO - It is so worth it. Thanks to Steve (@criskcracker) who helped me back in January when one of my tracks was used in a UK terrestrial TV broadcast and was unclaimed.

5 Likes

Hahaha, that’s what I needed to hear. Starting the process right away. I’ll open a different topic once the registration is more advanced and keep you guys posted.

Thx agin, Graham!

4 Likes

Good luck on the process :blush:

2 Likes

Ok, so not to bother here anymore with an off-topic here I shared the beginning of my jourey joining a PRO. First obstacle: how to get a SSN or ITIN…

And off we go…

Sorry about the off-topics, @RedOctopus! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually I am very happy that this discussion has motivated you guys to register your tracks in PRO. Definitely a good move.

This is the main reason of such discussions about our future. We learn from each other and share our thoughts and experience.

5 Likes