My proposal/idea to solve the "Sale Reversal" problem

Hi,

Proposal One:

There are a lot of Frauds worldwide who buy products from Envato or any other e-commerce platform, then say that his/her Card was stolen. Is there any maximum time to inform the Credit Card company that Card Holder’s card was stolen? As far as I know, it’s 2 months. If someone loses Card, and the thief buys something with that, and if 2 months is over, then that purchase will be considered valid.

So, to prevent this Chargeback/Sale Reversal scam, if Envato enforces new rule that every buyer will have to deposit money/credit in Envato account first; after 2 months of that, interested clients will be able to buy something - then it will prevent all Frauds to download our hard work without paying us.

Proposal Two:

Is there any widely-used Payment processor which has “No Chargeback” Policy? Why don’t Envato receive payment from them? At least make it Author level. I am personally interested in forcing buyers of all my products (or maybe some products of my portfolio) to buy. I found some already searching Google for “no chargeback payment gateway”. Results are awesome.

Question:

Are online checking or savings bank accounts Chargeback-free service?

Thanks.

While solving that issue would be wonderful, if you had a viable solution then I imagine you would be retired somewhere on a private island as every marketplace online would want to adopt your idea!

1. Wouldn’t work because if someone wanted an item here/now (the pipeline for stock esp. among newer buyers is not typically that long) then they will just have to go somewhere else. Plus envato are not a bank so holding funds for people for longer periods is difficult and which was a big contributor to why they removed credit purchases not that long ago.

2. I’d be super skeptical of any gateway that promises no chargeback. More often than not it is not down the gateway either - having chargeback or other options like this can be a requirement due to local law, fraud protection etc. No gateway can say that even if someone has evidence that their card was stolen or misused then there still is no way to gain protection.

2 Likes

​There are some “no Chargeback” payment processors, and Envato should introduce them as payment options. As an author I want a personalized option to enable “Only no chargeback payment method allowed” for my products which costs more than 20 USD. If it decreases my sales, I’m okay with that.

There’s no way envato can entirely cut ties with the likes of PayPal etc even if they were to introduce a new option (which is a huge business process and consideration).

Those wanting to scan would just use the options that make it more possible.

This is a challenge for just about every online marketplace esp stock and creative ones. If there was a viable and effective solution that could scale and be applied then I am pretty sure this would have been identified and adopted a long time ago.

2-step verification (SMS) would solve the problem in an easy way.

How?

Yeah, how? If they can get hold of a stolen credit card number, then they shouldn’t really have any trouble getting hold of a disposable SIM card for SMS messages.

1 Like

Unleashing Innovation: Solving the Sale Reversal Conundrum on Envato Author Hangout! :bulb: Tackling fraud head-on, Proposal One suggests a groundbreaking rule—buyers depositing in advance, eliminating Chargeback scams. In Proposal Two, the quest for a ‘No Chargeback’ payment processor takes center stage. Could this be the game-changer Envato Authors are seeking? Join the conversation, share your insights, and let’s revolutionize the digital marketplace together.

1 Like

You need to register the number on the bank to get the SMS for the payments. If you don’t have the SIM ( registered on the bank ) getting the credit card details won’t be enough.
( It’s like PayPal 2-step verification code )

I don’t have to receive an SMS when making payments via my card or Paypal, and I don’t have the option to enable that either, unless there’s some very well hidden option I’m missing. Is that a thing with other banks, or are you suggesting that be implemented across multiple banks and payment providers?

While it’s definitely not the worst of ideas, it is more of a third party thing that relies on the banks (and the individuals being sensible)… there’s not really anything Envato can do from this end.

Well, aside from tawhidurrahmandear’s idea of accepting cash, cheques or payments six months in advance

Question (more for authors than anyone)… are all reversals related to stolen cards and details? Are some of them not just a buyer being badly behaved and disputing payments on their own cards for a reason other than it being stolen?

I have 3 different banks accounts on 3 different country, they all have this feature.

For example, after adding the credit card details, I need to put the SMS code to the system, otherwise the payment process won’t be completed.

What I meant to login to PayPal if 2-step enabled, it’s for login ( also for payment, in that matters, you need to login to PayPal to perform the payment but stand-alone password won’t be good enough if 2-step is enabled )

I believe this is the most cases. They purchase a product, after they call the bank and “report” it stolen but in some countries, they do charge back right away

Every time I introduce a new product, the initial sale is consistently subject to a chargeback. Just a few days ago, I encountered a chargeback of 700 USD within a single day.

Considering the amount, it just could be an extended license fee.

The customer from Australia added all of my products to the cart and later initiated a chargeback. I was already certain that this customer would do the chargeback, especially since they purchased a module that comes included with another universal module I sold. I was just waiting for it, and bingo, it happened within 5-6 hours.

Sorry to hear about it. I don’t think they could do charge-back in AU as they may need to follow some procedure but have you contacted Envato?

This problem becoming more and more common these days. "Steals of the Week". Problem with piracy on Envato.

1 Like