Is it sustainable or profitable to start with themeforest with html, wordpress themes?

Hello Respected and Experienced Authors,

We worked on themeforest 5 years back with 4 people team and 3-4 items we have currently on our account and didn’t upload new items for long time due to partnership issue, wrong strategy.

Want to start again with themeforest with HTML, wordpress.

1. Is this sustainable with 3-4 team members to start again as per current themeforest sales?
  2. if I start again can I scale it to more than 15 members in few years while adding more items for sell ?
  3. What will be the best strategy to sustain in this market and make a good living with team members ?

Kind Regards.

any suggestions please?

This is really a market research question. I will share my analysis : The answer is “not sure”. The market is currently fluctuating, 5 years ago, my answer would be a definite “Yes”, 6 months ago my answer would be a definite “No”. Today the WP themes is picking up again, so its a “maybe” . Meanwhile there is a definite drop in sales across the market and Envato is focusing more on Elements than markets. However, this economic downturn which means “Bad” business for “Big” companies, for smaller companies & envato authors, this could be a blessing in disguise as more customers try to cut down their costs. Customers are today searching towards affordable solutions one that do not have a recurring fees and many are looking for one time solutions.
I think, this winter or early next year, the sales will pick up. My suggestion today would be to pick up an industry missing a key element ( read comments of themes / codecanyon product ). Get hold of a great idea which you can scale, work on it and this is the “Best” time to work on a great idea !

Thank you very much for your reply.
I appreciate your analysis.

Yes I do agree themes business on themeforest are not good as it was 5 years ago, and I see a way lot lesser sales for new wp themes nowadays, this is something to worry so I made this post there.

Some questions if you don’t mind:

1. in your profile your last published item is June 2022, why didn’t you keep publishing new items ?
  2. How many monthly sales you are getting from your 3 items ?
  3. What will be your suggestion to maintain a good income from outside themeforest as per your current situation?

Kind Regards.

@VibeThemes excellent answer

@themeroasters
As a “buyer” rather than an author, my comments would be as follows (and if it seems like I am not a lover of Wordpress Themes then I will explain why)

1. With HTML templates any reasonable designer with coding knowledge can adapt if needs be the themes designed to meet their own specific clients needs. For me this works very well and our clients benefit from getting customised theme templates that match their requirements;
  2. With Wordpress Themes (and this is only my own personal opinion) there seems like there are so many plugins required to make them work in the way the author wants them to, BUT what works today might get broken when Wordpress update their core files. This might mean the author needs to constantly update the theme to not only work with Wordpress, but also multiple plugins that can end up breaking the theme apart.

I particularly liked @VibeThemes comment in part which said:

“My suggestion today would be to pick up an industry missing a key element ( read comments of themes / codecanyon product ). Get hold of a great idea which you can scale, work on it and this is the “Best” time to work on a great idea”

Which to me makes perfect sense. Look at what people are needing, asking for, and then work at developing themes or code that matches their needs.

1 Like

I got a reply from @bluewale227 , but now I see the reply is missing here, maybe someone deleted it ? He was saying about support service, I am interested to know more @bluewale227