Got this question: Can I buy ONE standard license and use the music in more than one similar video?

Hi guys, I just got a question from a potential buyer and to be truly honest, I am not 100% sure of the answer, so I am asking here.

The person asked me:

Can I buy ONE standard license and use the music in more than one video?

In this case he said that he would be making about 50 very similar videos for the same company but selling a different product in each video.

Please let me know asap. Thanks

The short answer is no. One license is valid for one end-product.

However depending on your interpretation of the terms, one license can indeed cover multiple videos.

The series policy allows for one license to cover up to 52 (or a year) episodes of a same series. Your buyer could argue that their 50 videos are indeed episodes of a same series. Though, this would be in my opinion an abuse of the policy. Depending on your own opinion, you may or may not want to steer your buyer in this direction.

There is also the variation policy, but there only very minor changes are allowed. Since your buyer intends to make videos about different products, this policy cannot be invoked here.

4 Likes

It’s one big promotional video that’s split into 50 smaller ones, so yes, one license is OK in this case.

1 Like

hi guys, thank you so much. There is always a little grey area between white and black, isn’t there? At the same time that I really don’t think the costumer should buy the same license 50 times I also feel that by buying only one standard license to use in 50 videos is not fair for us. I recommended him to purchase at least the 2nd cheapest license (music broadcast (1 million), to be safe and fair. I hope I did the right thing.

1 Like

That does NOT sound right.

It sounds like 50 different videos.

Here’s my logic:

1. Create an 1 hour video promoting all of the company’s products and upload it on YouTube = 1 std license
  2. Split that same video into 50 ~1 minute parts, and upload on YouTube = 1 std license

The license guidelines specify “episodes” and the scenario you describe doesn’t seem to be the case, at least not as the term “episode” is commonly understood. And even if it does somehow “technically” qualify, it’s not in the intended spirit of the guidelines.

But why should a client be penalized for splitting his video into a series of smaller ones? Makes no sense to me. :man_shrugging:

I don’t see anything about splitting one video into 50.

It’s exactly the same. He could as well just make one long video…

Plus who in their right mind would pay $1000 for an audio track, when they can get a licence for unlimited projects for $65 on that other place.

Whose side are you on?? Perhaps your perception of music value is skewed, due to the fact that, as it appears, you are not a composer/producer like most of us here.

How many hours will that video producer be spending on those 50 videos?
Will he be getting paid?
Of course he will.
For all we know, he might be making more than $1000 per video.
So $20-30 for music per video is simply the cost of doing business.
How is this different than 50 different video producers making 50 different videos?

But maybe you have a point. Perhaps he should be getting his music at the other place.

Hey, I’m not taking sides. Just trying to be realistic, and help WavebeatsMusic make the right decision. :slight_smile:

If the videos were about the same product, why not? But this is not the case here.

If we take your logic to the extreme, then anyone can say all their videos are actually parts of one big single video and thus require one license.

Paying for music is not a penalty, for Chrissake! You use music in a video, you pay a license for it, you use music in a different video, you pay another license for it. How is that being penalized?

On the other hand, trying to find a loophole by saying the videos are actually one video that was split, now that’s a clear abuse of the policy, the terms, and the author’s right.

1 Like

Hi all, i truly appreciate your replies. This is what I will do:

I will contact Envato tomorrow via a ticket support and ask them the question. I guess this is the best way to know for sure…after all, they must have professionally trained staff to properly deal with these situations. I would assume that this kind of question might be very commonly addressed by intellectual property/copyright lawyers.

As soon as I hear from them, I promise I will share with you guys so we all can be better prepared for when this happens to you too.

I believe in one author helping another author to grow together.
Bye for now and thank again. I appreciate your time and attention to my post. :grinning::+1:t3:

1 Like

Hard to say for certain without knowing the exact details, but on the face of it… sounds fine to me. If somebody (as an example - which sounds similar to the actual circumstances) has a Youtube channel that does unboxing videos… then 50 unboxing videos would be part of a series of unboxing videos. It wouldn’t matter if the products they’re unboxing are different, or from different companies.

And if that example doesn’t meet the criteria for a series of videos, then I’d be curious to know what would!

1 Like

You’re drawing all sorts of conclusions as to what sort of videos these are, based on zero evidence. Did anyone mention a series of unboxing videos? No, just like no one mention splitting one video into 50 segments.

Your example would indeed meet the criteria. But this is not what it is here. Here, this is about a company advertising different products. Not the same thing, if you ask me.

This policy is meant to accommodate content creators producing series, not companies advertising more than one product. I agree, though, that one could interpret this policy as a green light for such usage. It’s up to legal arguments then.

However, using the variation policy or the “cut-down” policy, as @Soundset suggested, simply does not work here.

1 Like

True, but how does a series of videos advertising different products differ from a series of videos featuring different products when it comes to the licensing terms?

Your comments regarding how much this potential buyer might be making from creating these videos are all very interesting, but they have absolutely no influence on the what is and what isn’t allowed when it comes to Audiojungle licensing. If he needs 50 licenses for 50 videos, then he needs 50 licenses… if he only needs one license for 50 videos (even if he’s being paid $10,000 per video) then he only needs one license.

That’s all I’m saying.

The speculation on the earnings of the imaginary video maker were in response to the suggestion that buying $1000 worth of licenses somehow constitutes “penalizing” the client. My theoretical scenario was meant to put things into the proper perspective: $1000 is a lot to spend on music if you’re getting paid $2000. If you’re making $50,000, then it’s a necessary expense.