First attempt rejected. Feedback appreciated please

Here is my first attempt, that was rejected. It would be so helpful if Envato would take 1 second to tick a box to give people a clue of the problem after days of hard work composing.

There wasn’t much mastering or mixing to do, it’s just a simple piano composition I wrote with 2 tracks. Maybe not the sort of thing that’s wanted? Who knows.

Solo Piano tracks are not quite right according to AJ regulations.Most probably this is the main reason for rejection.

1 Like

Thank you Soundtrickz. I had read that too, but then found some solo piano tracks by others recently accepted, so I thought I’d take the risk. I am currently working on making some changes to the same track by adding other instruments, plus changing the ending and mid-section that I was never completely happy with.

I have several other tracks in the works but I’m not confident with my mastering yet, and don’t want to submit more until I’m a lot more sure I’m submitting something with a high chance of being accepted.

1 Like

I understand. I had some rejections in the past due to solo piano track, aswell.So i have learned my lesson. Regarding mastering., try to tame the upper mids a tiny bit. Pianos tend to get bitey and quite distorted in that area. 900 till 5k cycles.Serial compression will solve the dynamics issue too.Fairchild and La2a with 1 or 2 dB threshold at low ratio and proper gain staging.I would not use any limiter on the master bus in a traditional way for piano acoustic tracks.Even 1 dB of limiter reduction may induce clipping .And not the nicest ones.Hope that helps.Good luck.

1 Like

That’s very helpful Soundtrickz, thank you so much for the tips. Oddly, I actually intentionally ensured some of those higher notes stood out more as it seemed to fit the tune, but maybe I went a little too far with it. Since submitting that track I have learned more about mastering, EQ, etc., particularly for piano (as piano is something I can actually play to a limited extent). I’m working on a new version right now.

Thanks again, you’ve helped motivate me to keep going. All the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like