Envato, You should explain rejection reason!

You want us to do great job for you and customers so why you don’t respect authors work?
You should explain rejection reason!

While it would of course be great it is simply not a viable option…

1. authors are already upset by delays and trying to provide actionable feedback on every file would take up an unrealistic amount of time plus in a vast % of cases not actually resolve the problem.

2. We see in these forums many rejected files and envato themselves have even said that one challenge they have is that a huge % of submissions are nowhere close to the standard (not to mention in a number of worrying cases ripped from others).

3. If reviewers took the time to explain that typography or hierarchy etc. is not good enough – how many of the authors of hard rejected files would actually have the skillset and ability to interpret, understand and execute proper resolution to fix it?

If they did (in their mind) fix things and then were rejected again because it was still not good enough in the reviewer’s mind, would this not cause further problems and upset?

Surely if they understood best practice in these areas then they would have implemented it in the first place?

I get that it is frustrating but as with everything here envato will never be able to please everyone and what they do seems to be the best option.

I know that I am skilled author, but I am not telepathic to guess is this rejection because of bad mood of inspector or is it technical problem. Cos that is all about!
I doubt that you work on this area. I pretty sure that you made decision about “no rejection explanations” long time ago. And, as contributor for several stocks, I see how it works on other stocks. If you don’t know how to do it, than learn it from over stocks.
I already written some time ago that there is max 5 main reasons, which inspector can choose from by simple click that takes max 1 second. That’s alI I need.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be improved, just that:

• very few other stock sites come close to the volume that envato receive (apparently upward of 400k submissions a month)

• you may be experienced enough to translate a reason from a list but the majority of hard rejections (just look at some on the forums) would not be able to.

• if a file is hard rejected and that far off then the reviewer is not going to waste more time looking at it in detail so unless you have an “everything” option then there are likely to will be issues

check out a typical rejection reasons from VectorStock, they had used about two years ago.

Rejection Codes
A Your preview file was either compressed or blurry. All JPG previews must be un-compressed saved at maximum quality.
B Your EPS file does not match the preview you have uploaded.
C Your EPS file contains bitmap elements. All files must be vector only. NOTE: when using some filters like programme rendered drop shadows, saving as a backwards compatible file the filter is rendered as a bitmap — please check your EPS file before resubmitting.
D Your EPS file does not contain an EPS file.
E Your Vectors line/path quality is not up to our standards.
F It contains poor path / line quality as a result of live tracing.
G The design is not what we are looking for at this present time. Please refer here for ideas on future submissions.
H The filesize is too large, please keep it under 10mb or remove the .ai file if one was included.
I The JPG is distorted, please ensure the aspect ratio is correct when creating/batching previews.
J The file contains material or subject matter that is copyright.
K No Keywords ? Please add some key words so we can approve your submissions.
L We already have enough of this same image/style/subject. Please upload more original subjects.
M We do not need multiple copies of the same design (color variations).
N Incorrect EPS version. Please make sure your EPS is saved as vector EPS 8 or EPS 10.
O Your fonts / text have not been converted to paths. Please convert text before uploading.
P We already have this exact file.
Q Please submit only one EPS file per upload.

I agree that it is really hard to write personal rejection reason, but to have a templates for most common problems so people don’t get this kind of slap and don’t get become so frustrated when they receive letter with hard reject would be nice.

What really is the problem for my opinion, that is no standard can be found anywhere in help documentation. So when you say that submissions are nowhere close to the standard I will naturally ask you what are these standards and there is none written anywhere except for file preparations and overall structure.

I often check feedback section and people really don’t understand what are the standards are. Most common answer from community is “animation is to simple” yet there is always some simple projects get accepted. So what we really need is plain and simple rules, with examples what is 100% will get rejected so people just don’t spent time and nerves, and people who don’t have a lot of skill at least had a starting point for honing there skill.

And these standards are not so hard to write. For example you can clarify how much things the buyer can change in templates (videohive): time, color, animation speed or size of things. Minimal length of files and etc.

I don’t have the experience in video or design to comment on that but speaking in terms of websites - I think part of the issue is that there cannot be “precise” standards as every file will be different in some aspect.

I had always understood it that if a file meets best practice, is of premium value (i.e. Not like something which can be found for free elsewhere) and is original then there is a good chance it will be accepted.

While I do agree that any feedback would be good and appreciated, I still don’t think it would we a good idea:

• while authors get frustrated now, imagine if the reviewer said typography needs improvement - the author then works on this but the reviewer still rejects it - the author will be far more upset having (in their view) addressed the problem

• the bigger issue (and why soft/hard rejects operate the way they do) is that some authors (granted not all) simply will not have the skills/experience to understand and action feedback properly.

Written standards, feedback etc, would all be great however there is a degree of expectation for people who want to sell in a premium marketplace to have the understanding to execute at least basic principals in any creative without it needing to be spelt out.

I agree, it’s completely understandable…

i think it could be something like: the mix is muddy…the drums are low etc ---- and the author fixes the mix , so it can be approved :slight_smile:
If it’s composition, arrangement or else, i agree with you :slight_smile:

maybe you guys could explain just the reason if it’s about the mix (which can be fixed much more easily than composition, arrangement and so)

That is why people need to know the criteria by which they judged. When you say improve there is 25 different ways to so this and only 1 one will be accepted cause other 24 doesn’t meet the quality standard which again nowhere to be found.

And how do they possibly can understand it if there is none given at all?

When you receive a hard reject you get a letter stating that submission doesn’t meet envato marketplace criteria, which again nowhere can be found. So when I sell on a premium marketplace I understand that some requirements can be different from other stocks or industry itself, so I with whole understanding want to make things fitting this requirements, but surprise, there is none written anywhere. So the question is how can I fit requirements for envato marketplace, which I don’t know cause there is none written?

I don’t want to take your sentences word by word and show why this position is wrong and it hard for me since english is not my native language, but to make some conclusion - if I rejected for not meeting quality standards of envato marketplace I want to know what this standards are, and I can’t - cause there is none written.

No one asking to walk with authors hand in hand, but since it is authors who do the hard work generating new ideas and making projects I think is only natural to simplify their job by setting some guide lines. This will help with flow of good projects, generate more money and raise overall quality.

Out of interest (genuine question) do any of the other marketplaces like envato have defined lists of requirements?

I understand a guideline like “code must validate” which is definitive but when it comes to somehting like “typography” or “hierarchy” etc. which is subjective and based on the authors interpretation - how would listing this help?

I am sure there are more defined rejection reasons in the fields I have no experience of but certainly from a web perspective the most common grounds for rejection are all non-quantifiable.

No point to watch on other marketplaces since you already positioned envato like premium marketplace. And this again returns me to the point that you get rejected by envato standards so again the question is what are the envato standarts?

If they are most common how can they be all non-quantifiable?

Envato is not the only ‘premium marketplace’ - if no one has these defined lists maybe there is a reason why?

Again I know nothing about videos but take something like ‘composition’, just like many creative fundamentals - its not quantifiable and comes down to interpretation.

I’m not trying to argue with anyone I am merely pointing out a different point of view and that the current system makes logical sense.

I actually agree that the wording of the rejection mails could be improved but understand that with up to 400K/month submissions generic messages for those hard rejected is understandable.

If you say some things are down to interpretation, how can I be sure that my item will be fairly reviewed? So if my item is rejected by opinion of reviewer who have his idea about how things should look like and not by some criteria that i can read somewhere then i can really understand now why there is no such.

That is the reason why people on forum from time to time start express hard feelings about rejection. And not only new authors or authors with not so much skill, but people who have being working on this market or industry of motion graphic or web design for long. And they all want to know these criteria and it is natural. As an author i don’t care how much submissions are reviewed in months it all problems of marketplace, all i care about is plain and simple rules of game and at least some adequate feedback for rejected items, and this demand is also natural, after all we got 50-30% fees from sales, so i guess we can demand this much to make this part of job more easy for authors, so we all can make more money.

As I said - in my opinion (and it’s only mine) there is simply no way to put in place a definitive list for any category given the subjective nature of creative items. Envato did actually do this for technical requirements on WP themes - again though these are fixed details.

Ultimately someone has to make the call to protect envato’s quality/quantity standard - this is the same wherever anyone sell’s items. Reviewers are carefully chosen for their technical expertise and knowledge of the marketplaces to ensure fair and sensible decisions.

Of course given the number of submissions some do/don’t get through fairly (reviewers are only human) but you only need to look at these forums to see how far off many are. For those who are closer they get feedback…

If a file adheres to best practice, originality and premium quality - all of which are characteristics that a professional author should be able to identify then they have a good chance of approval.

Again I do understand your frustration but I still feel there is a bigger picture to consider and why this is the same on here, other marketplaces and even sites like iTunes.

I am certain if anyone could write a definitive list/steps (with no subjectivity) to building a video composition, design, website etc. then envato owuld want to hear about it.

I cant understand how creating simple guide of do/don’t harms any quality standard. More we talk - more I get the fealing that not creating this kind of guide is have something to do with thing that no one simply care about how authors feel when they get rejected with atleast minimal explanation. Also I don’t understand why authors should push this thing on and on and still always in any topic get this answer about how this is not necessary, when clearly new authors feel really bad about this. And of course not heaving such guide simplify work for reviewers, cause it always easy just to slap someone with standard (got template for this one) rejection latter advertising own website with outdated tutorials.

If someone can create a non-subjective list of requirements (knowing envato’s specific requirements is not important to demonstrate a solution) to create a high quality file for any marketplace then they should do so and share it with envato.

No one wants to dishearten or insult anyone - I’m certain that authors, community and envato would welcome solutions

I am sorry that I got a bit rough, I got hard reject today and it pissed me off. My knowledge of envato not big, but if anyone will start such thing I will gladly help, because well, it pains a lot when you work on something and in the end it was not good enough. So…

What would this guide look like though?

• Colours should look good.
  • Typography should be good.

Everyone knows the colours and the typography should be good, but there’s always going to be a certain level of subjectivity, otherwise they could just create some kind of program that scans new submissions.

I mean, if you want anything more detailed than my comprehensive guide above, then what would it look like? Pixel thresholds for spacing, a few million hex code combinations for colour options? At best, the guide would take longer to write than it would be relevant for, as acceptable styles are changing all the time. At worst… nobody would come up with anything new, everything would slowly blend into one to make sure they’re not straying from the hallowed guidelines.

There is no need to mock me. If you don’t know how to write such thing that does not mean it is not needed. The second, I don’t think it is good for someone to doubt someone else’s creativity, so having some technical boundaries can’t do any harm. And there no problem to write down some most common things which are required from submissions.

The point I’m trying to make is what would these requirements be? Can you give an example? I’ve thought it through and it would either be far too restrictive or a document that’s several thousand pages long. Colours for example… what would you write in that section if you were compiling the guide?