Don't get the whole tax thing

List price for this one was $7, the sale was in Germany, so how does this work??

Can someone break this down for me please?

Also what is this 37.5%??

and 37.5% for this?

The tax thing hasn’t started yet. Won’t start until January. The 37.5% is what Envato takes. The $1 is also what Envato takes. The $1 is the buyer fee, the 37.5% is the author fee… both of which go to Envato. From January on, Envato will also withhold a certain percentage on your sales (from 0% to 30% depending on your country and what you’ve filled in) which is calculated on the item price. Which is the list price minus the buyers fee. Nice and simple! :wink:

So when this kicks in, envato will take 37.5% 30% and the $1 buyer fee?

So if I am selling something for $7 how much will I keep??

Im from IOM/UK

If it’s $7, and the buyer fee is $1, and you’ve filled in a W8, but not added a valid tax ID which results in you having 30% withheld, and you’ve sold less than $3,750 on the site, then…

If you sell to a US buyer, you’ll get $1.95

If you sell to a non-US buyer then you’ll get $3.75

If you fill in a W8 with a valid tax ID, then you’ll get $3.75 on all sales.

I have my Tax ID number , and I try to fill out a W8 but the format is for example XXXXXXX-XX and this isnt an accepted format for the number?

Do you know if the isle of man has a tax treaty with US?

Are you putting it in the ‘Foreign Tax ID’ option?

Yes that worked now, in the foreign one.

1 Like

It’s not on the list, but would it come under the UK? I’m not sure on that one. If your tax goes to HMRC then I guess it does.

So that means they wont hold the 30%?

Well, that’s the $1m question! Depends if the Isle of Man comes under the UK tax treaty, but if it does, and you’ve filled in the form correctly… then you shouldn’t be taxed anything.

Well, I had to select UK then Isle of Man, so hopefully.

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me much appreciated very helpful

No worries!

I dont even get a single thing about this W-8 thing. I guess I’ll just lose the 28% of the US sales then because I cant provide an ID. I am from Hungary

Just to clarify… it’s 28% on all sales if you don’t fill in the form. 30% on just US sales if you do fill in the form, but don’t provide a valid tax ID. 0% of all sales if you do fill in the form and provide a valid tax ID.

where do i get the letter from envato … any links email?

this is proving to be a headache

Settings -> tax information

All this fuzz made me calculate my future income.
Say my item cost $22
$22 - $4.4 (vat) = $17.6
$17.60 - $5.5 (Envato) = $12.1

So, $12.1 is price i’m receiving at the moment.

If i get unlucky to have sale to States, how much would i receive from project that cost $22 ?
$12.1 - 30% US government donation = $8.47 ?

To summarize, $22 - $8.47 (profit) = $13.53 is gone

Sorry to be pedantic, but the $4.40 is the buyers fee, not VAT. If the buyer is from the EU, then the VAT is added on top of the $22.

And if your list price is $22, your item price is $17.60 and your author fee is 31.25%… then the amount you’ll get after the 30% withholding will be $6.82

The 30% is calculated on the item price ($17.60), not the item price minus the author fee ($12.10)

Thanks mate, being pedantic is good and yes, it’s buyers fee not VAT.
As for price, i was afraid it would be as you said.
Instead of $12.1 from Jan. it would be $6.8
Basically 50% less income from US buyers, this is just pathetic and speechless.
But hey, who cares, if one author leaves due to less and less income, 3 new will come.
All good.