Do we need a Game Music category in AJ?

I´ve listened to quite a few rejections here on the forum and sometimes the tracks sounds like… game music. And therefore its easy to assume this is not a priority for AJ, just try to search for game music and you will basically be met with corporate tracks.

The game industry is an insanely huge and increasing market. We have “Game Sounds” in Sound effects, why can´t there be a Game Music category as well? With sub categories like retro/adventure/quirky/ambience etc. I´ve seen other stock music sites have Game Music as a category together with all the usual ones.

Just wondering what authors think of this. I would assume there could be sold a lot of music mass reproduction licenses to casual mobil games etc, as well as a possibility to connect with game developers if some of them like your style.

18 Likes

Great idea! Support :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1

1 Like

True. But that’s not only categories / rejections issue. Generally there’s a huge need of search system based on purpose, not only on genre. Without this, we’re loosing many potential customers outside the typical commercial uses.

Tags used to work like this but they aren’t practical and efficient any more.

2 Likes

Good point. Another reason to get tags back where they belong. I see Envato do offer to sort by purpose when they are running their sales, so they must know the value of this deep down.

+1

Cool!:+1:

+1

I didn’t even realise there was no games music category. Shocking!

Possible issue: How do you define game music? The only game l’ve played in recent years is FreeDink, a variant of Dink Smallwood. It uses a mix of classical and more gamey music, both work really well! Answer: maybe it’s just how the author designates it, maybe also the sounds used.

1 Like

:ok_hand:

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Good question. It can be any genre really. Just like corporate music… Sounding can be retro or modern or a hybrid mix, there is a lot of creative playroom in game music. It can also just be simple rock tracks or “epic” tracks that loops seamlessly. Main point in smaller casual games is that the music should be able to loop without being to repetitive and ear fatiguing.

I really think AJ could attract a lot of customers who are looking for simple music loops to their mobile games. Medium and big game projects will hire a freelance composer.

3 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: 1

It’s definitely a great idea. And just by adding new category for games, chances that a customer would find a decent soundtrack will increase. Of course some authors would upload some irrelevant music there (like corporate), but it will be much easier to find game music in a “game” category. And it’s easier to just add a new category, instead of fixing the search algorithms (which is of course should be fixed anyway).

2 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign:1⃣

2 Likes

+1

2 Likes

Great idea! Support

1 Like

This would deffo be a great idea! especially for kits. If you could make a kit designed for adaptive music/adaptive soundscapes ready for a game in its own category I’m sure that’d hold a lot of value to game designers.

3 Likes

Very good point! Totally forgot about music kits, they would be perfect for simple adaptive game loops.

2 Likes

What license will suit a game?

1 Like

Most downloadable games should choose Music Mass Reproduction I think. I guess Standard license (under 10 000 downloads) can work if its a student game or not released on any download platform?

Promo videos of games need a standard license/broadcast license. Please correct me if I´m wrong @PurpleFogSound. And what about “non downloadable” online games etc?

You have a great retro game track that has sold quite some copies @WormwoodMusic. What licenses are you selling for that?

1 Like