Codecanyon Wordpress plugins: how to check for updates? Plugin?

Hi,

I’ve purchased during the years a lot</strong of Wordpress plugins at Codecanyon.
Is there a possibilty, to stay updated, when they are updated by their authors?
It would be inacceptable and very time consuming to check this by accessing each plugin’s page here at Codecanyon :-/

I’m not sure, but I remember something in the Envato blog (?) on how to stay updated - but I think it was concerning Themeforest themes (?). I cannot find it anymore …

Perfect would be a plugin, that checks within my Wordpress (network) installation, whether plugins, purchased here, have an update.

Any idea?
Thanks.

Hi colorit,

I would recommend this script, which I use in all of my WordPress plugin.

It’s nice and easy to include.

Best regards,

2DMonkey

Hi, thanks a lot … seems to be a great idea. But I don’t understand the readme: is this an instruction for Codecanyon plugin author’s or for me as a client?

Because I of myself as a client won’t edit any plugin’s files, because my changes would get lost again with each update. Have you any suggestions for me as a client?

thanks.

Hello colorit

Some authors on Codecanyon have implemented automatic update into their plugins just like when you download a free plugin from wordpress.org. Other authors including our self offer a “update notification” and then you will need to go to your Codecanyon account and download the plugin again.

Unfortunately this is not the ideal situation, but officially we are not allowed to offer automatic updates. Rumors say that Envato is working on something similar to the automatic update they offer for WordPress themes on themeforest.

I would encourage you as a customer to request Envato to speed this up. :wink:

Does the script in the link offer the update available notification where users get send here to download the update?

If so thats great as its exactly what I’m after

@colorit - Yes it’s for authors. Sorry I didn’t realise you we’re asking from a clients’ perspective. As RightHere says we’re waiting for Envato to bring this functionality along.

@SimpleSites4U - Yep it puts the yellow notification bar inside the WordPress admin. You can customise this and link it to a custom page or (as I do) right back to the CodeCanyon plugin page.

Best regards,

2DMonkey

RightHere said

Unfortunately this is not the ideal situation, but officially we are not allowed to offer automatic updates. Rumors say that Envato is working on something similar to the automatic update they offer for WordPress themes on themeforest.

I spoke with Collis personally a few days ago and brought this up. He said that that is definitely not true, and if it is, it shouldn’t be. Authors are more than welcome to include auto updaters. I include auto updaters in all of my new plugins.

@colorit unfortunately for buyers, the only way to get notified is if authors have included something like the updater (I wrote/adapted it) above. When I spoke to Collis (Envato CEO) a few days ago, I brought this up as a major problem with the marketplaces, so hopefully we’ll eventually see some sort of notification system implemented.

mordauk said

I spoke with Collis personally a few days ago and brought this up. He said that that is definitely not true, and if it is, it shouldn’t be. Authors are more than welcome to include auto updaters. I include auto updaters in all of my new plugins.

Hi Pippin,

I’m glad that you were able to get an answer from him. Maybe they can make it official because I’m really tired of not being able to get an answer. This is the latest of many emails I’ve received from Envato concerning this.

It does say that an approval is on the way, but still nothing official. We’ve only been asking for this for 12+ months now.

However this is good then we can get started implementing auto updaters in all our plugins. :slight_smile:

I’ve included an automatic update option in my plugin and all my customers like it. I have ask this question too but didn’t get any official answer so I just added it and my plugin got approved. If someone doesn’t like that option (why should this happen?) it can easily get disabled by removing two lines of code.

I don’t know why this shouldn’t be allowed since it’s much more user friendly and we offer premium plugins here which is a must to have this feature included.

My plugin got already 5 big updates within a month and a manual update would be a pain for my customers. Also required option updates are made automatically.

Another advantage is to display the changelog right on the users WordPress site like other plugins from the WordPress repo

Just tried this out and it seems to work pretty well:

Do you guys ask for purchase codes for your update scripts? Wondering if it’s worth adding.

I’m using a modified version of this class and a custom plugin for the “update server”.

Using just the purchase code is better for buyers (IMO) since the only need one code to get this to work.

Very useful thread. so, how do you implement the purchase code check in the notifiers? None of the links above have a check for the same…

For now I’m using the Pippin script as a fast and easy solution.

(BTW, probably I’ve not I yet thanked you for creating that :smiley: )

I’ve thought about inserting an auto updater but the purchase code matter blocked me.

After 8 months as author I had no problems.

Of course having an unified Envato updating system would be great!

Is there meanwhile a good solution concerning this topic?

I have purchased so many Wordpress themes from Themeforest as well as Wordpress plugins from Codecanyon, so that it is really not possible due to lack of time, to check at these sites permanently, whether there is a plugin’s or theme’s update :frowning:

@colorit It is up to the plugin/theme developers to include an updater, so the best thing you can do is try and encourage authors without updates to include one :slight_smile:

Can I upload the xml file (keeping the version numbers) directly to codecanyon, together with the others files for a new new item, instead of keeping the xml file on my web server? Is there a way to do that?

No.

Check this out (only for themes though): https://github.com/bitfade/themeforest-themes-update

Made possible by http://themeforest.net/user/pixelentity (bitfade)

Must. Necro. This. :wink:

sorry for reviving this thread - but am I right that this STILL is not solved by Envato?

I have recently discovered a few real gems on Themeforest/Codecanyon, but apart from some who include an update function into their themes (like Kriesi.at) the best you get is an email from themeforest when the plugin is updated, then you can manually download it and update it (with the usual hassle, deactivating, deleting, uploading via WordPress, losing settings, overwriting via FTP, messing up things… )

Is there a working 3rd party solution in the meantime to really AUTO-update plugins from this marketplace?

thanks a bunch!
Martin

Huge kick.

Is there a solid solution to this problem available?