Calling all German authors!

Hi all!

We’re looking for some local insights into German design publications and websites - if you’re based in Germany, we’d love to have your help :slight_smile:

I’d like to introduce @daveoftheinternet - Envato’s PR and Communications Manager, who can explain a bit more about what we’re looking for.

2 Likes

Thanks @BenLeong, and hello all! I’m David and, like Ben, part of the marketing team here at Envato HQ, primarily in charge of our public relations efforts. Pleased to (e) meet you, thanks for taking the time to read the below. I’m looking forward to spending more time here with our wonderful creative community in the coming months and I promise to keep all my requests short and simple!

Are you based in Germany, or someone who speaks German? If so I’d love to know what your go-to publications and websites are for design and creative news and inspiration.

Over the next 12 months, we’re going to be putting greater energy into trying to build our profile in various spots around the world, and as some of you may have noticed, we recently went live with a version of Envato Elements that has localised its content for people who live and work in Germany, including translated page content and prices displayed in local currency.

As part of this, we have been compiling a list of relevant and widely-read German-based websites in the tech, business and design areas, including Design Bote, Designer In Action, Dr. Web, Klonblog, Entwickler, Pixeltuner, DesignLovr, PAGE Online and more.

Do you have thoughts on the relevancy or impact of these publications? Are there others we are missing we should be visiting more regularly?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

3 Likes

Tagging in a few random people from the old German Authors and German Meetup threads :wink: @themepunch, @BaumannMusic, @AtagoSounds @monkey_themes @matsteiner @Creattive

Envato is earning enough money just from hosting the website, support and advertising. So frankly, please let me ask: Why don’t you just hire a professional? Is it really just about pushing the costs or even free contribution? Do you take this marketplace seriously?

1 Like

Rest assured, we do have professionals working on this! We’re investing in ways of reaching new customers in areas we see potential growth in, and wanted to give our German authors an opportunity to recommend the types of publications that you’d like us to consider approaching.

@MykeRoss

You can have 2000 professionals familiar with german market etc. but if you have opportunity to find someone unique from 82 millions of people (population of germany - not all of them are here, it’s obvious, but you know - friends have friends… someone can be Genius in IT market in germany but he’s not at envato) you just do it and this is how you take business seriously.

For example I have family in germany , my cousin has lived there since birth (now he’s 39) and he know IT market, but he has own company and his own things to do. So if I have some connections in germany I am sure this way is pefect if you try to find someone you need.

And don’t forget - making Envato more friendly just for german language you have also Austria and Switzerland - rich countries, rich people :slight_smile:

I don’t want to make a mess here, I just can’t stand this kind of opinion.

peace. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a German native, part time webdesigner, how may i help?
I am living in switzerland, (zürich), interested in product markeint here in swiss and german speaking areas like Germany, Austria etc…

1 Like

Hi @schudo! Good to hear from you :slight_smile:

Dave is out of the office this week, but I’ll make sure he gets in contact with you once he’s back next week.

ok, maybe he extended his vacation since its 2 weeks ago

My apologies - Dave ended up in hospital last week, and is out of action for at least another week while he recovers :frowning: I’ll send you a PM once I have some more information from him.

Ok, no prob and hope he get well soon

1 Like

I am surprised at the lack of replies. If. You would like to have a call I think it would be easier. Let me know and we can chat.

1 Like

I’m not.

Instead of hiring or building up a professional team (which can be inhouse) to discuss and work out a business model to conquer regional markets, Envato seems to try to reduce costs by asking the community. Over and over again. What’s wrong with that you might ask? Everything. There’s a mindset here at Envato that digital goods can be distributed for free to advertise the market(s), the “Free File of the Month” proves this. You can’t really blame them since people around here are willing to give away some of their free time for exposure or a credit, due to the crowded oversaturation of digital goods.

The very problem here is the message it’s despatching: That there’s a way to get uncompensated work for exposure or credits, which hs is a very desctructive way of thinking in the long term. Ask a lawyer (also a crowded business) if he likes to give you free advice. Unless you know him personally very well, there’s a point for him where there’s no way he’ll be working for free. So please Envato, don’t take the time of your Authors for granted. This behaviour is responsible for the race to the bottom of digital goods.

Please show some respect and dignity.

Hi @ninjao , sorry for the delay in replying, I’m slowly recovering now and playing catch up. Let me drop you a line directly to follow up on this thread.

Hi @schudo thanks for your patience. Let me drop you a message directly as your knowledge of the publications that report on digital design in that part of the world would be very interesting to find out more about.

Hi @MykeRoss, apologies for the delay in getting back. To confirm: we do have a full international team here at Envato working tirelessly across the business to improve our internationalisation efforts.

I’m sorry if my original request came across as disrespectful or trying to get “work for free”. I was merely trying to find out from German-based authors what kinds of publications (blogs, websites, podcasts etc) they listen to, so as to better understand where we could potentially focus our PR efforts. As I’m based in Melbourne - and have very limited German skills (a fact my Duolingo account would back up!) - I feel like I would be doing our creative community a disservice if I didn’t ask them first!

dont know what u saying. u been asking for German speaking people. Thats the only topic i was refereing to.
If thats not longer the case thats alright too

Greets