Are customers influenced by what country authors come from?

I see like if you are British or American you will get more sales but if you are Indian or African you will get nothing just “Good Luck with Sales”. Not just the QUALITY the COUNTRY is important too :confused:

I’ve never looked at where somebody is based when deciding what to buy. A lot of authors don’t even bother displaying their country badge.

There’s racist people everywhere unfortunately, and although I don’t doubt there may be a VERY small percentage of buyers here who may be influenced by the authors location… I would be very surprised if it has a noticeable impact in sales.

4 Likes

If you think your home country affects your sales you can hide it in your Settings tab, under “Profile”.

3 Likes

I hope not to get those messages at all. I hate that sort of spam. I’d rather not get those messages as at all. No one is racist here, not to worry, however, the GLWS messages are so, so, so annoying! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Back in the day, the comment section was really used for authors congratulating other authors for good work, but for the last years some authors spam the very same words on all items because they think that drives their sales up. I doubt it, though.

1 Like

Your dobuts are absolutely correct. I’ve studied authors that spend hours daily doing that, their sales are as low as ever.

I’d rather spend my time building an item, than spam everyone with “WOW, OMG, BEAUTFUL ITEM GLWS! ENABLED

8 Likes

It’s very sad. They work so hard and fight with soft reject than they get nothing. The buyers think that Indian and africain people “Scammers” :frowning:

1 Like

I will never hide my country. It’s story of honor brother <3

3 Likes

Not the authors the buyers they have weird look at the rest of countries :confused:

It’s spam with other face Lol

1 Like

I never said I had either. I and a lot of other authors, despise the GLWS trend, it’s just useless spam!

Sometimes I leave a comment on new item which has some awesome design/features + GLWS :smiley:
It’s my real expression, not spam at all :smiley:

3 Likes

I think there MAY be some racism, especially when you think about today’s planet, its never-ending issues + (unfotunately) the low level of “critical thinking” ; you never know… So, it may be a good move to hide your country flag. Better than nothing.

1 Like

That can be right that the country is important too although I discovered that for WordPress the Belgians gather in a group that chats via #slack.

You are right (y)

That has nothing to do with racism, they have the right to speak their native tongue and create meetups, make partnerships and more! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, let’s hope this is a better one. I saw somewhere a great design made by an African or from other tropical country but it didn’t work! If this comment is approved I’ll submit all links to this kind of designs on my further way to discover the know-how to realize the perfect design!

This is for you and every author here. If anyone uses racist comments towards you or any-other member of this community, please contact me or Envato Support and swift action will be taken. Racism should be killed around the world, and Envato does NOT tolerate any sort of racism. Cheers!

4 Likes

The reason in many cases has nothing to do with racism. To me personally, it’s a strategic decision. Here’s why:

We are working on a startup and from time to time we need some scripts from Codecanyon not to write everything from scratch.
When I see a script that is a good fit, first thing I do is to check how the author responds to comments, as getting quick and quality support if something goes wrong or just doesn’t work is critical to us.

When I see an author cannot communicate his thoughts in plain English or even worse - does not understand the question and gives totally different answers, that’s a clear red flag to me, as eventually it converts to lost time and money which a startup simply cannot afford.

Thus, speaking from a buyer’s perspective, I believe that’s the main reason one would not buy products from an author regardless of the country of residence or the nationality.

3 Likes

We have been a member here for over 7 years and have bought over 140 items and the country of origin has never been a factor. We look at reviews, comments to see if the author replies and supports their product, number of sales, the advertising to see the effort the author puts into selling their product and a google search to help us decide if we should buy the product.

2 Likes