AJ's search algorithm is not sustainable. The Popular Files list is going stale.

7000 “active” authors is way too high because by the time you get to author 2500 in “top authors” they only have 370 sales. I’d say 2500 are “active”. The rest are just “idle” selling whatever they sell but not producing music for this market. We only have 120 +1’s advocating for change in the search algorithm, that thread will also give insight into the real number of “active authors”

“Limiting Exposure” as a concept? We all have to ask ourselves - If one of our tracks were to achieve best seller success - Would we now suddenly appreciate the success of a track being limited when those before us did not have limitations?

As I said before hits will be hits and the buying public will decide what will become a hit after Envato features a tune. Just when we think we know that a hit will be a hit is also the same moment we are wrong. How many times have we heard a track and thought, wow, this one has a shot at selling 5000 next year? But then it just falls off the charts…or never even gets on the charts. I am speaking about featured items not quite getting onto the charts.

When all is said and done everyone wants new music to have a better shot, and certainly customers should want to hear new music too. The solution is simple “Curated Playlists”. An actual tab on the site named “Playlists” . These should be made up of at least 50% new music - released within the last year, but also allow authors to put forth a track they feel may be strong and deserves being heard.

I’d say invite all authors each month to send links to those two tracks - a new one the author is proud of, and any track they wanted to bring attention too.

The goal should be to create featured playlists across all genres. The site is still centered around the corporate pop genre both on the popular files page as well as the featured files page. Why not have heavy metal, jazz, funk, latin, classical, country, hip hop, etc… published and promoted playlists for example?

Scottt Willis asked us for seemingly a year to post links to a variety of genres. What happened to those playlists? Were they ever marketed? Did they make an impact? Why not just publish those playlists on the audio jungle site? What was the point of that exercise if customers never were presented curated playlists?

10 Likes