5$ prices

I see that a lot of new best sellers are priced 5$. Simple questions. Why? Why audiojungle lets authors to evaluate their WORK so low? What is your personal opinion on this?

4 Likes

When Envato “earns” $4 per sale of these items and then takes an author fee that leaves the author, if they are elite, $0.87 - it makes no sense whatsoever and consequently irritates and frustrates the whole of the market. But who cares anyway if you make a sale and you destroy the rest of the marketplace, as long as Mum and Dad pay the rent or mortgage everyone is a winner.

14 Likes

Yes, it’s totally nonsense. I’ve never dropped my price below 20$ per track (standard license) and I don’t care about selling and so on. I appreciate my time and effort and customers have to appreciate our work. But… who cares? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s why I decided to create this topic. Because I know that in some countries you can buy more for 1$ than in other. But if there is a possibility to set the price so low, there will be always somebody who does it and ruins the whole market. What about raising the lower price limit, envato? Say, 15$ or so… It’s a win - win, right?

4 Likes

Envato is adhering to some legislation, it is up to Authors to respect others within this community but alas some do not care and will game the system to their advantage. At the end of the month some authors will benefit and others not. IMHO.

4 Likes

Guys, as you well know, this is a highly sensitive topic. I’ll tag @KingDog and @BenLeong in the chat as well.

Please NOTE. The moment the conversation starts having suggested prices, or recommending to other authors what price they should sell at we will instantly close the topic. This is a strict matter where authors MUST decide the price of their items on their own. On further warnings we will silence or suspend forum accounts. Conversations like these can have immense legal consequences. Keep the chat as objective as possible to avoid legal and anti-trust violations!

Other than that, we won’t step in this topic. Cheers guys and thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @Enabled !
How do you set a yellow background for messages? :slightly_smiling_face: I can’t do it! :grin:

That’s a highlight color, strictly reserved for important messages and announcements. We use these only when something EXTREMELY important needs to be seen by others scrolling through a topic. Regular users don’t have access to these. Now, please keep on topic mate! :blush:

1 Like

I need this for the topic “Your Last Sold Item 2”. Better yet, a red :smiley: for some topic offenders.
Thanks for the answer! I understood! :wink: :+1:
Have a nice day! :wink:

1 Like

Hey @NewEraofContent, for more info about why Envato refuses to set a reasonable lower price limit for music, you can check out the conversation about it in this thread:

The TL;DR version of it is that setting a minimum price would violate anti-trust laws to do with price-fixing and fair trading practices (according to Envato’s legal team). Personally, I think it’s an overly cautious interpretation of those laws, since P5 don’t seem to have a problem with setting a lower limit in an ADP marketplace. But that’s just my opinion.

A more interesting point in that thread is @EightBallAudio’s post about how Envato is encouraging price dumping by advertising “top sellers” by sales numbers instead of revenue.

I really hope that the new CEO @hichameassi will consider that rewarding revenue instead of sales numbers would be better for everyone and maybe start to implement the drive towards competition based on money in the bank, rather than units shifted.
@MojoSoundtrack highlighted the benefits of making that change really nicely in the following post:

Many authors have been calling for this for a long time now. It would be great if someone from the Envato team could get involved in the conversation, at least to explain why they have a bias towards $5 tracks built into their platform and seem to be actively encouraging price dumping with categories like “Hot under $20”. How about a “Great quality over $30” category?

5 Likes

Thanks everybody for your replies. I see the topic popped up in forums already. Hopefully Envato will do something about it, because getting less than a buck per sale is no go for me…

3 Likes

Envato cannot interject here because of the anti-trust laws (possibly) and so consequently we rely on authors to reassess their ADP usage. My recommendation is to remain sensible, think about your worth and do not get drawn into this game. Think about the longevity of the marketplace and not short term gains.

5 Likes

Just to point out that the system has always been that way since the day it was set up…sales numbers over revenue! Doesn’t make it right! and it used to work ok but maybe with the gaming and other tricks it should be time for a change with a fairer system, along with many other changes as the market has grown…i.e. proof of id etc… now this is happening,
i remember the author test :wink: i watch with interest how new regulations and changes are being implemented as we all do.

Hopefully? it does seem as though Envato are listening and are starting to make some changes. After all it’s their business and their concern as well as us authors.

1 Like

I hate this $5 thing, I’ve been here 10 yrs and i think many authors have a lot to thank envato for in giving us authors a great platform to sell our music on.
The point is i agree with this topic totally! but we have to remember that this is Envato’s marketplace and they make the rules.

Us as authors or any business you are envolved in should never place all your eggs in the same basket! that’s my advice for what its worth, if it doesn’t fit the AJ business model then don’t upload it here! if you do then accept their terms or price it on what you feel its worth!

I haven’t uploaded here for 2 years, i would love to again when i find the right material and hopefully the door is still open for me?
Sorry for the rant but hey! see the bigger picture :slight_smile: Haha…a can of worms :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s dumb to do that and it’s working against everybody including those who sell for so low.

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed! But at the same time I was hoping to sell some tracks in the Christmas time, uploaded 2 and silence, then I checked top new files and all selling Christmas tracks were priced 5 bucks. Facepalm!

4 Likes

Well… I guess some are destined to produce jingle bells variations for $5 for the rest of their life Lol

1 Like

Welcome to life!!!

1 Like

Don’t worry. Even 5 bucks is too much for the quality of these tracks.

This problem would almost entirely be solved by basing the top sellers list by revenue and not # of sales. Very surprised this change hasn’t been implemented yet.

4 Likes