The problem is that temporary price dumping is a technique that can be used to game the system in several ways and often purely done to start trending/reach the popular list, the problem is increasing the more authors struggle with visibility it seems.
This problem is not going away with wishful thinking and telling authors to do “mindful pricing”. The current system does not reward those who actually have intentions to earn money for Envato.
So yes lets put an end to this, if not, there will be only price dumped tracks and old top sellers in the popular list in the future (like now but worse). And nobody wants that, including customers.
ADP is great, but the current search system needs to adapt to ADP.
EDIT: I wrote this list in one of the other revenue threads so just reposting it here:
Benefits of sorting revenue instead of sales numbers:
- Envato will earn more money
- Authors will earn more money and think more business minded.
- High quality will float upwards more easily in the search engine.
- Customers will benefit, it will be less hard to find high quality tracks.
- Authors will find the sweet spot for the market price of quality music.
- Saturation of the market will be less, because authors will ultimately prioritise quality over quantity.
- Self purchasers and copy cats will have a harder time doing their monkey business.