WP Bakery Page Builder, new version will not install

We have WPBakery Visual Composer installed, I wanted to update this but a message in plugins sections says there is no automatic update for this plugin. Have purchased the new WP Bakery Page Builder but the plugin will not install. I get this message Installing Plugin from uploaded file: codecanyon-242431-visual-composer-page-builder-for-wordpress (1).zip
Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

The package could not be installed. No valid plugins were found.

Plugin installation failed.

Any ideas thanks?

You’re uploading the wrong file. When you click the download button, choose “Installable Wordpress File”. Or, you can extract the zip you currently have, and there should be an installable .zip inside.

Hi Bailey,
thanks for your suggestion and apologies for my delay in acknowledging your help. When I go to upload the new WP Bakery Plugin I don’t have the " Installable wordpress file" option. I have unpacked the zip file and tried to upload the zip file that was contained in it (js composer) but it also will not upload.

Thanks

Heya,

With respect to the “Installable WordPress Plugin” option, I was referring to the download page on CodeCanyon. Find your purchased item on that page and when you click the green “Download” button, it should have that option.

Upload that file to WordPress and let me know if it doesn’t work. :+1:

Thanks!

Hi Bailey, or maybe it’s Herbert? sorry not sure
I downloaded the ‘Installable Wordpress Plugin’ but am still having issues getting it to upload. Below is the error message I get. It’s a bit different to before.

Thanks again for your help

Installing Plugin from uploaded file: codecanyon-242431-visual-composer-page-builder-for-wordpress-wordpress-plugin.zip
Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /home/dcnrmc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/

Plugin installation failed.

Return to Plugin Installer

Hi Bailey,
just wondered if you had seen my earlier reply to your helpful suggestions. I need a bit more help thanks

Regards

Hey, so sorry I missed your reply.

That error suggests the plugin is already installed, do you not see it on the plugins page? If not, the only way to resolve that error is by deleting the “js_composer” directory in /wp-content/plugins over FTP, and then re-trying the upload from the dashboard.

You can also upload the files over FTP manually by extracting the plugin file and uploading the js_composer directory.

Hi Bailey,
thanks again for your help. I’m actually upgrading from an earlier version of WPBakery composer so yes there is a version (4.3.3) already in the plugin section but it is not upgrading to the new version.

Thanks

In that case you should manually delete the old version and then upload it again.

Hi Bailey, will this affect the functioning of our website? Thanks

Ahh, I see. You’ll want to reach out to WPBakery’s support team for advice on that: https://codecanyon.net/item/visual-composer-page-builder-for-wordpress/242431/support

Hi Bailey, I’ve just had a look at the link you gave me and it says that the support does not extend to installation services. Given this I’m wondering if I should try and manually delete the new version of WP Bakery myself and try re-installing. As I mentioned it does not appear in plugin section.
I’ve just been reading about FTP as am not familiar with but can read my way though.

Any thoughts?
Thanks again

You’re right - that simply means they won’t install it for you, but support does include availability of the author to answer technical questions which would include the proper methods to install/update the plugin. I’m afraid I’m not experienced enough in this area to give you any further advice.

I had a look at their online documentation though and it suggests that deleting and re-uploading the plugin is standard to perform an update, so you should be fine. If the plugin is not already activated, deleting it via FTP won’t cause any issues on your site.

It wont affect your current layouts and data’s. This is a normal way I do always when I need to update the plugin. So just delete the currently installed plugin and upload the new one. But during this process just make sure you don’t play with any layouts in the site backend or frontend.

1 Like

Thankyou. I’ll let you know how we go

1 Like

Thankyou