What's your must have photo gear?

Photographers love talking about our gear! And we all have our favorite gear that we never leave home without. So what little bits and gadgets do you have in your camera bag that you love to use or can’t live without?

My first piece of gear is my handy photographer’s multi-tool. It gets very tiresome trying to hand-tighten nuts and screws or go looking for a quarter in your bag even though you haven’t carried change on you in two decades. This little multi-tool also comes with hex bits that really help when working with a gimbal.

Now hopefully the airport security doesn’t take it away from me :confounded:

My second must have piece of photo gear is my RGB LED handheld light wand. I don’t often carry a reflector and in lower light situations the extra boost of light is incredibly helpful. The RGB settings also can be used to give a kick of color when I need it. The only downside is that I wish it was round like a Rotolight because I prefer a round catchlight in the eyes rather than a rectangle one. Oh well…the life of a poor photographer :man_shrugging:

So what are your must-have gear and items that you always take with you?

10 Likes

So I take photos like I cook…I use very few gadgets. My only “must have” equipment when I’m away from home is my camera and lenses. I do, however, carry some of my favorite props in my car like floppy hats, a red umbrella and keys on a house-shaped keychain.

At home, my flat lay tripod is hands down, THE BEST thing I have ever purchased for my stock photography.

9 Likes

Wicked tripod!

4 Likes

I am looking for a tripod Like that, how much do they go for?

1 Like

It was about $150. I had to get a counterweight to hang in the center when I want to use the tripod in the flat lay position at full height. That’s because the legs aren’t splayed out like in the photo above and without the counterweight, the weight of the camera tips it forward.

2 Likes

I really need to grab some weights for my light stands. I’ve kicked them over way too many times :grimacing:

1 Like

I actually made mine by filling a sock with rice. :rofl: I was on location once and was afraid the wind was going to knock the tripod over so I put several bottles of water in a canvas tote bag and hung that on the counterweight hook. Worked like a charm!

2 Likes

Very interesting. I try not to carry too much. My camera, couple lenses, charger and maybe my tripod, that’s probably it. Usually when I take my camera is when I will be walking a lot! So I don’t like to have too much weight with me. If I find myself needing something, I usually improvise with stuff I find around. My husband says I’m like MacGyver :grin:
I always have a big ziplock bag especially during summer time so my camera doesn’t get foggy during temperature changes from indoors to outdoors. Put the camera in & seal it. It helps :blush:
At home my favorite gear is my tripod. I have one just like Marg’s but older. It used to be my husband’s, but it works perfectly fine for my projects.

4 Likes

Just started carrying a ziplock bag with a silica pack this winter. I never thought about my gear fogging up :grimacing:

2 Likes

What brand is your tripod?

1 Like

Wow you guys are amazing - @KingDog @MargJohnsonVA @MyLove4Art

I love anything creative (well that’s why I do web design) but I have an OPPO A74 5G - 6GB RAM and 128GB +Extendable Storage SIM Free Smartphone (6.5’ Screen, 5000 mAh Battery, 48MP Quad Camera, 90Hz Refresh Rate) - Fluid Black. Does that qualify for this topic??? I have a tripod but not as good as the one featured in this topic :wink:

Our daughter however is amazing and she knows her stuff as a photographer. I think anyone that does something so wonderful as being a creative is someone special.

3 Likes

Mine says Velbon @Sweet-finger I never knew until now that I saw your question and I checked it out :blush: it’s an old version, but same structure as the one pictured by Marg here.

1 Like

This is the one I got on Amazon. There are a few things I don’t care about it but it definitely helps.
K&F Concept 72 Inch Camera Tripod, S211 Transverse Center Column Aluminium Professional DSLR Tripod with 360 Degree Ball Head,Quick Release Plate,Deta Amazon.com
I can set up a shot, take a few photos, pull the SD card out & look at them on the computer to see if I need to make adjustments. If I do, it is super easy to take more photos because the camera never moved! And it saves me back pain from leaning over.
If you have the legs in tight and the camera on it, it tips! So I filled an old sock with rice to create a counter balance weight.
To make it easier to have my hands in a shoot, I started setting up on a table instead of the floor. With certain lenses, the tripod isn’t tall enough so I got some oatmeal cans to raise it.

3 Likes

I love the ziplock bag suggestion. I once ruined a digital camera with condensation, when moving from a humid indoor environment to a colder outdoors one :frowning: By the time I realised the mistake (and spotted the foggy lens) the damage had already been done.

A lightweight tripod made a world of difference for landscape shots while hiking. Definitely worth a little bit of extra bulk and weight in the backpack!

3 Likes

Kinda wish I had my camera in a ziplock when I dumped my canoe in the river :grimacing:

3 Likes

I think this is definitely a must for anything low angle. Attaches to the eyecup holder. I shoot Canon so not sure who else has them. Sometimes I use it together with a sand bag if my tripod can’t get that low. Or just free held. Anyway, makes low angle life a lot easier. I’m trying to post a picture of it but not sure I know how.

5 Likes

Oh wow. This would be a live saver on my back and knees :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely!

1 Like

Sony 200-600 is my most used piece of gear. It is sharp and great for any wildlife encounter.

4 Likes

WOW!! I need one of those!! Thanks for sharing!!