Understanding music licensing for podcast episodes

Hi there, thank you so much. I also emailed the Envato team directly, and they gave a similar response, although they said that I would need a separate license for the normal episode intro/outro, and one for the trailer too, regardless of the factors you mention. They also said that if I am publishing the episode on Spotify, then I would specifically need an additional broadcast license.

Thanks for your help! Laura

criskcracker
March 7

Hi Laura, I think I can help with some answers for you, although I’m not an Envato employee, only an author. My interpretation of your usage scenario is that the trailer could be considered a cut-down of your main podcast, so would be included with the licence for the podcast, unless there is any material added which would give it merit as a piece of creative work in its own right, for instance, if it has sound effects added and is cut in a way that makes it different from the podcast, or if it is a video trailer or has other media included. If that’s the case, then the trailer will need its own separate licence.

As for the main podcast series, there is a policy that is included with all music licences whereby if your end-product is a series, you can purchase just one licence and use it within that series for up to one year, or for up to 52 episodes. Usage past those limits means that you would need to purchase further licences (One for every 52 eps or every year, whichever comes first.)

Have a read of the Envato licence FAQ for more info:

AudioJungle
### License FAQ | AudioJungle

Browse our massive collection of sound effects, royalty free music and stock audio. Add music to web, broadcast, video, presentations, and other projects.

Also, your point about upgrading the standard licence as your podcast approaches 10,000dls is a good way to go I think. I’m sure Envato would accommodate licence upgrades further down the line. It is mentioned in the FAQ, but it says to get in touch with their support team about it, which you can do so here: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like