Help with License

I need to buy music for a podcast intro and the one I like uses the music license. But, I don’t understand them. There is not one choice that allows me to use the music for the intro to my weekly podcast? I’ll have to pay $20+ each week to use the theme? Or is one of the choices allowing me to use it each episode? Thanks.

1 Like

From my understanding, you should only need the Standard License in this case. The “end product” that it mentions would be your podcast as a whole, so one purchase should be good to use for all of your podcasts.

1 Like

Actually, technically a podcast as a whole cannot be considered as the end-product.

If the intro is always strictly the same (with no modification whatsoever, no different voice-over such as the episode’s title), then the intro can indeed be considered to be the end-product, which you can then use in any number of episodes.

If they are variations to that intro (episode’s title, or episode’s content overlapping with the end of the intro,…) then you can invoke the series policy which allows you to use a single license for up to 52 episodes within a year. You would have to buy a new license for episode 53 or Year 2.

1 Like

Where are you finding this info? I can’t find anything about podcasts in the license details or helpcenter.

1 Like

Do I need a separate license each time I use an item in a series?

No. You only need to purchase the item once per series.

What constitutes a series (eg TV series, webisodes, or a magazine with monthly editions)?

To be considered a series, all things in the series (eg episode, edition) must be connected, and be released within 1 year of the first installment. There is also a maximum of 52 episodes or editions within the series.

Example: A 12 episode TV series that starts in December and ends in July would only require a single license. A YouTube series that releases an episode every week (52 total) would only need to purchase a license once every year. A magazine that releases an edition every other month would need to purchase a license once every year.

If in doubt, the rule is one license, one use. Not one license… use in every episode until the end of time! Although in this instance, the OP can use the track for up to 52 episodes over the period of a year with just the one license.

1 Like