Transfer of Envato License to other party

Hi All,
Can someone kindly explain to me how to transfer a template license, I purchased, to my client?

Mucho grazias!!!

M

You can’t. They will need to purchase their own version/license or have you manage any updates etc.

charlie4282 said

You can’t. They will need to purchase their own version/license or have you manage any updates etc.

Thanks for your fast response but I’m surprised to hear it. In the knowlege base of themeforest I found this:

Is my license transferable?
Yes. If you are a freelancer using the item for an end product for one client, or if you sell the single instance of an end product, such as a website installation. In those cases, point your client to the license terms and delete the item from your computer.
Example: You use a theme to create your website. Later, you sell that website to someone. You are allowed to do this, but you then must delete the theme from your systems.

So is this incorrect? Actually I wasn’t asking IF I could transfer the license as much as I was asking HOW do I tranfer the licence. Anyone??

Maybe I am wrong - based on that from the support notes. that said you would need also to provide purchase ID etc if they need support. Good luck

If your client is ever going to contact the author for support, do everyone a favor and make them buy the product instead of you.

You can transfer rights to the client, but the purchase will indefinitely be attributed to your account. So any purchase verification (i.e. what every author requires before giving support) can’t be done by the client.

The only workaround is if the author has implemented a custom support forum beyond Envato. It’s a messy business but that’s how Envato structured it.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your response.
Actually I purchased the product on behalf of my client as part of my website design package ie, the client did pay for it (I billed him) and now he wants access to the themeforest account so he can get updates and access to support for his website which I constructed. Of course I’m happy to do this as I’ve used the template once to build his site and now have no use for updates being emailed to me. But I’m just not clear how to do the license & support transfer to him…have I screwed this client by making the mistake of buying the product on his behalf as his webmaster?

OR do I just need to give him the invoice ID number and what else to do the complete transfer?

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

M.

You can’t transfer it from account to another. Either way best to contact Envatos support (though they will most likely say the same thing)

You basically have three options:

1. Give the client your Envato account and make a new one for yourself. Not feasible if you’ve bought anything else.

2. Tell the client they need to buy the product again for himself if he wants to handle updates independently. The client stops trusting you.

3. Bite the bullet and tell the client you screwed up. Refund the client what you charged him for the theme, and have him purchase a new license. Yes, you eat the cost of that mistake but it’s the right way to handle it.

1 Like

Understood. Lesson learned.
I’m guessing if they buy the $20 license instead of the $65 template all over again…they don’t get access to tech support…right?

Thanks again for helping.

Well, that depends on the author. If you explain the situation some might be fine with giving support considering they got 2 sales out of it. But your client wouldn’t be able to download updates for the right product then.

It basically sucks, but I’ve had dozens of customers do the exact same thing. Unless Envato builds a “license transfer” function, there’s no good way to handle it except buying with the right account. That will probably never happen because you could pass around licenses for free (not what authors want).

Licence Transfer
So if you cant transfer a licence how will our clients update their themes, I have been using Envato toolkit for updating, but when installed on a site it lists all my purchases which I don’t want my clients to see. Am I missing something? Any Thoughts on this?

1 Like

Hello,
I’d like to revive this question. From the discussion, so far, I’ve learned, that if the client requires to be able to have access to support and updates himself, it is recommended, that he purchases a licence with his own account. However, in case it is not required, what is the right procedure to “transfer” the licence to the client in a way, that makes him able to proof, that he is authorized to use the theme or template? What is necessary to be included in my invoice? The licence certificate with the purchase code (and my name?) as attachment and a copy or link to the license terms (http://themeforest.net/licenses/terms/regular/2.2%20(Copy))? I’d be glad, if someone could provide some clarity here.

Dealing with the same problem. I too find it a bit odd and inconvenient that there is simply no way to transfer everything over to the client. It could be as simple as the client creating a new account, me having to remove the theme download from my account, and allowing the client the ability to take over the support and update capabilities. So I have to pay $58 for them to repurchase the $58 theme? What a joke.

Same problem here. Waiting for Envato’s official answer.

I would like to transfer Premium SEO to the website owner. They would like to get the emails when there are updates.

1 Like

Not possible without giving them your account, or changing your account’s email to theirs.

I’m glad I looked into this issue before buying licences to my customers from my account. If anyone else was lucky enough to come by just like I did, do the following:

• Create an Envato account with an email you (developer) manage (it would be ideal if your customer can give you an email @ their domain);
  • Buy all the licences for theme and plugins for a given customer on this account;
  • If your customer ever requires access to the Envato account (it can be agreed from the begin that the control of the account will be given to your customer), you change the account email (if you need to) for whatever email your customer tells you to (remember to name the account according to your customer’s brand).

You’ll end up with as many Envato accounts as the number of sites you manage. But I think it’s the best solution to keep your personal licences (developer) apart from your customer’s.

I already use a setup like this, creating separate accounts on services I need. So I can handle control of anything that’s related to a given website to my customer after everything is done and configured.

1 Like

Just to clarify, as there’s a lot “partial” information here. The following is taken verbatim from the FAQ’s of the Envato licence terms:

Is my license transferable?
Generally, your license is not transferable. There are a few exceptions:

• If you are a freelancer / agency using the item for a single end product for one client. The license would in effect be transferred to the client.
  • If you sell the single instance of an end product, such as a website installation. The license would in effect be transferred to the new owner.
  • If you are using the item as part of an on-demand “create-your-own” service where you purchase a separate license on behalf of the customer for each individual end product they make. Each license would in effect be transferred to the customer.
  • If you are a 3rd party purchasing a license to use as a prize / giveaway (see this help article for more information on external promotions). The license would in effect be transferred to the recipient of the giveaway.
  • In all of these cases, be sure to point the client / customer / recipient to the license terms and delete the item from your own systems.

Example: You use a theme to create your website. Later, you sell that website to someone else. You are allowed to do this, but you then must delete the theme from your systems.
Ba

2 Likes

I understand your comment and your example. Lets take it one step further and ask this question.

1. The client now has to update the website with the latest version.

How does the client get the notification that there is an update? How will the client download this?

1 Like

They won’t, and they can’t.

This is exactly why people using envato themes or templates for client work should get the client to buy it.

1 Like