Too long rendering

I’m rendering my project in AE CS4 with 1:30 length. It has already taken 22 hours of rendering, and will also take about 23 hours to finish. So, the project has CC Ball Action built-in plugin with CC Lens Blur. This last plugin, I think, create this hard rendering, but when deleting it I won’t get the motion blur on Ball Action plugin because it doesn’t have it at all. I suppose that this time of rendering isn’t good for potential buyers.

What you could me advise in this case? Remove blur effect?

Isn’t there an effect called CC Force Motion Blur? I guess it could work out in your situation because it analyzes a few frames of animation and generates good looking motion blur. I don’t know if it’s very resource intensive but I think that you don’t have much choice…

SubsonicDesign said

Isn’t there an effect called CC Force Motion Blur? I guess it could work out in your situation because it analyzes a few frames of animation and generates good looking motion blur. I don’t know if it’s very resource intensive but I think that you don’t have much choice…

Yes, there is. But, it's strange, it doesn't work with CC Ball Action. When applying it makes Ball action layer invisible. I read this solution on creativecow.

After Effects built in motion blur is basically a short cut. To get things to blur (more) like they do in the real world, you need to use CC Force Motion Blur. CC Lens Blur imitates a defocus blur.

CC Force Motion Blur is also rather render heavy. For each iteration, it needs to render the layer another time. So, for a 1 hour render with 16 iteration force motion blur, you get 16 hours.

You could just apply it to the ball action layer (or whichever needs it) but you have to precompose first and then AE will add its own layer of motion blur, creating a double blur which is wrong.

Often these things don’t notice too badly,but when you’re using anything that has movement on it that is not created by AE’s standard transform properties this is always going to be an issue.

The correct way round it is CC Force Motion Blur on the whole scene.

What I usually do is explain to buyers in the user guide that there are two options. One gives you perfection at the expense of time, the other gives you speed at the expense of quality.

-f.

Ilyon said
SubsonicDesign said

Yes, there is. But, it's strange, it doesn't work with CC Ball Action. When applying it makes Ball action layer invisible. I read this solution on creativecow.

You have to precompose the CC Ball Action layer first. CC Force Motion Blur only works on comps.

-f.

It’s almost certainly CC Lens Blur causing this. I would also avoid Force Motion Blur - it’s v. slow too.

Whenever I face your situation I try to fake motion blur using eg. directional or radial blur (even a duplicated or multiple layers with some kind of blur applied) … it really depends on the movement.

I had no idea Force Motion Blur even existed… I guess you learn something new every day!

The classic “AE blur doesn’t work” is with stacked 2.5D layers moving quickly. It blurs each layer, making it translucent and then stacks. Of course, after just a couple of layers the edges have become opaque.

CC Force Motion Blur renders the entire composition a certain number of times (based on iterations) and then composites those together. Comp then blur, instead of blur then comp. The order is crucial.

It’s also very useful for instance with a floor made out of various panels or tiles. They may be perfectly butted up to one another, but if you move the camera fast over them, you can suddenly see through the gaps. Not with CC Force Motion Blur.

The price? Horrible render times.

-f.

I’ve got a silly mistake when rendering entire project. It consists of the separated parts (comps) which build on the main comp in cascade. But I’ve forgotten to cut all layers in the points of the transitions. So, as more rendering moves forward as slower it is. Even I didn’t expect this behavior of the rendering. :wink: