Change shutter speed in AE?

I’m wondering if i can change (reduce/increase) somehow the shutter speed in a footage through AE. I’ve tried through composition settings > advanced settings > shutter angle/shutter phase but i can’t notice any difference. It’s quite handy if this is possible… any suggestions?

I think the only way is the one you just mentioned. I personally use this a lot and there is a difference.

Bogz said

I’m wondering if i can change (reduce/increase) somehow the shutter speed in a footage through AE. I’ve tried through composition settings > advanced settings > shutter angle/shutter phase but i can’t notice any difference. It’s quite handy if this is possible… any suggestions?

you want to change the shutter speed of footage? that’s not possible of course :wink:
the shutter angle option changes the amount of motion blur in after effects.

What exactly do you want to achieve?

I think he is thinking about the motion blur… but i could be wrong.

Mocarg said

I think the only way is the one you just mentioned. I personally use this a lot and there is a difference.

+1

Bogz said

Is it question about shutter speed in animation/grahics (as answered) or about real camera footage? if second it’s more difficult to change wrong recorded shutter angle. But you may try to do it with some plugins like twixtor. In some cases it may help.

Best Regards,
Andrey

It won’t make a difference until you move something. You’ll notice that the amount of motion blur changes.

sorry for not making it clear before… i was talking about shutter speed in real camera footage as AndrVlad mentioned. For sure it works for motion graphics, thanx much for your replies guys :slight_smile:

I’ve never used twixtor before, i will download the trial version to check it out. From your experience this plugin changes the shutter speed angle in an efficient way?

edit: i had too much work (38 hours awake), that’s why the late reply

Do you want to add Motion Blur (i.e. make the shutter speed slower, shutter angle bigger) or remove it?

To add motion blur to footage, you can try the after effects plugin cc force motion blur.

Or ReelSmart Motion Blur, that’s good one as well, but it’s not free.

There are ways that you can add motion blur to footage (Reelsmart Motion Blur would be the right tool, not Twixtor), but as far as I’m aware there’s no effective way to remove it. It’s technically possible using a deconvolution kernel, but I don’t know of a commercial plug-in for After Effects that provides this.

felt_tips said

There are ways that you can add motion blur to footage (Reelsmart Motion Blur would be the right tool, not Twixtor), but as far as I’m aware there’s no effective way to remove it. It’s technically possible using a deconvolution kernel, but I don’t know of a commercial plug-in for After Effects that provides this.

Agree no effective way to remove. I did not try Reelsmart but Twixtor can be helpfull. I did it by making slow motion like 5% of speed and then mixing frames (10 frames into one frame if I need 180 shutter angle, 20 frames for 360, etc). and then simply convert to original speed by dropping frames. Hard rendering time method but works for some cases depend on how much changes in each frame. For instance method works great for photo timelapses.

Best Regards,
Andrey

felt_tips said

i’ve never heard before of this deconvolution kernel… i google it and i must say that what this can achieve is pretty amazing! But it’s only a mathetical algorithm with no use on any editing software? is there any possible way of practical use of this algorithm?

if there isn’t anything like this in a plugin form… then i think there is whole new business lying underneath it. Isn’t it?

AndrVlad said
felt_tips said

Agree no effective way to remove. I did not try Reelsmart but Twixtor can be helpfull. I did it by making slow motion like 5% of speed and then mixing frames (10 frames into one frame if I need 180 shutter angle, 20 frames for 360, etc). and then simply convert to original speed by dropping frames. Hard rendering time method but works for some cases depend on how much changes in each frame. For instance method works great for photo timelapses.

Best Regards,
Andrey

oh i see! the result seems something like the echo effect in ae? thanks for the tip man… Anyhow, i would love to have the exact opposite of this. The camera settings had slow shutter speed and everything has a small “tail” after each movement. But i think after 2 days of googling, your answers and some questions to friends that the only way to achieve such a footage correction is the deconvolution kernel that Felt Tips mentioned above… (but i didn’t understand how this thing can be used)