Tips for boosting sales...

I know, I only have five tracks uploaded so far, but I was curious if you guys had any general tips on how a newbie like me can boost my sales. I’ve only been with AudioJungle for two weeks and have had three sales.

I know I need to create public lists, get my page a little more together and add more songs to my portfolio, but what other things can I do to help promote myself?

Thank you!

-Appo

Hello Appo

Welcome to Audiojungel and congratulations to your ( allready ) sales.
3 sales in 2 weeks with 5 items is really a good start !

As you named the most important ways to promote your stuff, theres not much to add there.
Most important is, that you only upload top quality files in to make yourself a name in the community, as competiion is growing here.

Have fun and upload some more of your music :slight_smile: Good luck

1 Like

Hi there!

The most important thing is, as already mentioned by SonicCube, to produce high quality music.
Another important thing is to work together with Videohive-authors as much as possible. If they use your music in their projects, it gives you much more exposure and sales.
Apart from that use social networks like Twitter, Facebook and other well known services…

These are my ideas to boost sales…

Good luck and keep up the good work :wink:

just a suggestion but… try consistantly uploading new material to keep yourself on the home page as often as possible. i think this could help you to get noticed by more buyers. also, when adding keywords to your item for sale, make sure to add words from a buyers perspective. use words and phrases that a buyer would use when looking for a particular item. its ideal to have your items pop up in as many search results as possible…

good luck!

I’m going to differ from dxvid’s idea of constantly uploading new material. See, what I personally think is… it’s all about quality than quantity. When a customer sees that you have only 20 items and have racked up 170 sales, then that will create a larger impact on their curiosity to listen to a few of your tracks than an author with 90 items and 170 sales. A perfect example is the awe-inspiring Mr. SonicCube two posts above mine–130 items with 885 sales!! ~Jealously~

Also, you just gotta consider the fact that the more track you have, the less focused the customer would be in listening to your music. Most likely, they’ll just be clicking through random ones and listen to just the first 30 seconds or so and move on.

So to me, it’s all about making quality tracks and leaving your customers with a “oh, I can’t wait when he/she uploads a new piece!” versus “oh, which tracks to listen to today, he/she uploaded so many!”

So that leads me to my next topic of how to capture a customer’s attention. What is the first thing that a customer sees? Answer is the title of the track. So when you make titles, try to name it accordingly to your music’s vibe so that a customer who’s searching for some specific type of music can correctly listen to the right ones. Now, I know some AJ artists who have random title names but still have very good sales, so they’re an exception lol… But typically, titles are just as important as keywords, in my person opinion.

Promoting yourself is one of the most important thing, and sadly it’s one of the most difficult. We all have different ways to promote ourselves, like via websites, social networks, Youtube, friends, and whatnot. So it’s just up to you in finding your most comfortable means of promoting yourself.

Hope that helps you consider some things,

Regards,

Thomas

1 Like

wow, thanks everyone for the great responses. you are all extremely helpful. best of luck everyone!

ThomasVoMusic said

Most likely, they’ll just be clicking through random ones and listen to just the first 30 seconds or

lol - everyone does this, be it a casual customer, or professional music agent. Your first 30 seconds really need to be good and/or get the point across if you’re looking to sell stock audio in high quantities.

Anyway, I think the whole ‘boosting sales’ thing differs from author to author. The only real consistent thing is to have high quality material.

IN GENERAL - there are two kinds of authors here.

1. Authors who do one or two things very well / or the best on the marketplace.

or

1. Authors who are a jack of all trades but don’t have many (or any) ‘hit’ tracks.

It’s certainly not a bad thing to have a large quantity of tracks, especially if they’re all well produced. I personally don’t have any ‘hot-selling’ tracks, but I do sell consistently on a daily basis these days. Also, I don’t regard the number of sales as important as I do ‘earnings generated’. I’ll take 1 sale of a $14 track over 14 sales of a $1 track every day of the week. Recently I got a lot more extended license sales too, and again, I’ll take those every day of the week over just shifting high quantities of sales.

The authors who may run into problems are those who have huge portfolios with maybe a few hot sellers but vast quantities of ‘zero sales’ tracks. Fortunately Envato prunes the marketplace every year (or so it claims in the FAQ!) so this is not a permanent problem.

The homepage thing is very overrated - especially with the number of tracks being uploaded to AJ these days. I would bet that most buyers find their files by searching or having previously purchased your work. Therefore, titles, descriptions and keywords are important, as Thomas rightly said.

Finally, and this has already been mentioned. Partnering with Videohive authors is a great way to get exposure. But your work has to be top quality AND flexible enough to include in their projects.

Anyway, these are my views, I’ve been selling here since the end of October 2010, so I’m neither a ‘veteran’ nor a ‘newbie’. I hope this was useful - and this was also a great thread to start. Thanks Appo_Productions!

Another thing that also may increase your sales is to be an active and positive participant in the forums. I’m sure there are quite a few people who read these forums (buyers included), and if your posts paint you in a good light or make you seem like you’ve definitely got your act together you’ll most likely get some profile/portfolio views from it (and maybe some more followers).

As mentioned before… promoting is actually one of the most difficult things to do properly. It is simply too easy (and extremely annoying) to make a twitter account and facebook account and just spam the hell out of them all day long with your item links. I find it hard to accept that any person will actually read or click these, and doubt it really helps sales all that much.

I think it all just comes back to if your items are great and inspire peoples interest in you. These are the people who will read your tweets and facebook chatter, and actively follow and buy your new uploads.

ThomasVoMusic said

A perfect example is the awe-inspiring Mr. SonicCube two posts above mine–130 items with 885 sales!! ~Jealously~

Oh, thank you Thomas :slight_smile: But only 600 sales are from AJ items i have to say, the rest is from my Videohive stuff.

As others also already said, it does not make much sense to have tons of items but only a few sales. I even delete some of my files if they don’t get any sale after a few months of time. If i look at a portfolio with only 20-30 items, but 1600 sales, this is what makes you a perfect author for royalty free music. I’m not saying, that authors who made only a few sales, make bad music, but maybe not the type of tracks which are in demand :slight_smile:

Good luck again everyone

p.s. you could also join our Soundcloud group to promote your stuff :wink:

http://soundcloud.com/groups/professional-royalty-free-audio-tracks

ThomasVoMusic said

I’m going to differ from dxvid’s idea of constantly uploading new material. See, what I personally think is… it’s all about quality than quantity. When a customer sees that you have only 20 items and have racked up 170 sales, then that will create a larger impact on their curiosity to listen to a few of your tracks than an author with 90 items and 170 sales.

constantly is totally different than the word i used… consistantly.

the top author on AJ is soundroll-music. soundroll has been a member since july 2008 and has 174 items for sale, which would average to about 5 music uploads per month. uploading 5 good quality tracks is a good example of what i meant by consistantly uploading new material and keeping yourself on the homepage.

dxvid said

constantly is totally different than the word i used… consistantly.

the top author on AJ is soundroll-music. soundroll has been a member since july 2008 and has 174 items for sale, which would average to about 5 music uploads per month. uploading 5 good quality tracks is a good example of what i meant by consistantly uploading new material and keeping yourself on the homepage.

Oh whoops sorry, I misread the word. They are both very similar haha. And I just thought you meant by uploading one track per day, which means you’ll have 30 in a month. But yeah I see where you’re going :slight_smile:

Thomas

Hi!

I´ve been reading this post very carefully, because I have been around since April and just 3 sales till now, and I would really like to know how to boost my sales or at least the visits to my portfolio page.
Some of you guys have stated here that it is very important to upload the kind of music that potential buyers would buy. So what would you say buyers are looking for?? rock? pop? bluegrass? I ask this because I think for some of us it is some kind of cultural problem, because we dont necessarily consume the same advertising americans consume,just to say something.

So what would you say buyers are looking for now? and really… how do you promote yourself? Would you give real-life examples?

W3llm4n said

Hi!

I´ve been reading this post very carefully, because I have been around since April and just 3 sales till now, and I would really like to know how to boost my sales or at least the visits to my portfolio page.
Some of you guys have stated here that it is very important to upload the kind of music that potential buyers would buy. So what would you say buyers are looking for?? rock? pop? bluegrass? I ask this because I think for some of us it is some kind of cultural problem, because we dont necessarily consume the same advertising americans consume,just to say something.

So what would you say buyers are looking for now? and really… how do you promote yourself? Would you give real-life examples?

Hey there,

As an American, I can tell you that most people from America go to royalty-free music websites for a) advertisements and b) corporate presentations

You’ll get your Flash people every now and then, but those people mostly get the free music off of Google or just use pop stuff illegally.

I think my best track is called “Walk that Walk” (a more upbeat pop/hip-hop rockish track), but it has zero sales! As a matter of fact, the 3 sales I’ve gotten have been on my “corporate” tracks that took me like five minutes to make — the ones that are simple, upbeat, happy, and musically ridiculously simple-minded.

Strange…but that’s how it is. I think it depends what site you’re putting your stuff up on too. AJ is mostly people looking for “corporate” or “motivational” things, most likely for business presentations (at least according to the top sales, this seems to be the case).

With me being brand new to this site, I’m hardly a concrete authority. But I have spent a lot of time researching this site because, frankly, it intrigues me.

This site creates real opportunities, and you just have to play the game. It’s a game I’m still figuring out, but hopefully us newbies will get the hang of it soon!

Good luck,
Appo

Hey appo! We are just the same. Just 3 sales so far!

Well thanks for the info and I really want to learn how to play the game because I see the AJ potential. So please be nice and when you figure it out something new drop me an email or something :wink:

Thanks!

W3llm4n said

Hey appo! We are just the same. Just 3 sales so far!

Well thanks for the info and I really want to learn how to play the game because I see the AJ potential. So please be nice and when you figure it out something new drop me an email or something :wink:

Thanks!

Haha will do my friend! Sales or not, it’s fun just being pushed to create more music. the minute i figure out how to drive sales, i will post what I’ve done because I believe that, while we’re all “technically” competitors here, we’re also ultimately teammates because we love making music.

I think one of, if not the main issues that many authors will face and may initially struggle with is whether to continue to make and upload music that YOU are happy with and enjoy, or to make and upload music that is in demand.

Now for some that can be one in the same and come totally naturally, but it’s not and won’t be the case for each and every author here. Insert paragraph pertaining to quality, subjectivity, etc. etc…

I happy medium can certainly be reached but it may or may not be at the expense of the authors own motivation and creative talent.

I say continue to do whatever you did that brought you to AJ in the first place. Whether that’s to make money while making good music or making good music while making money :).

Appo_Productions said

I know, I only have five tracks uploaded so far, but I was curious if you guys had any general tips on how a newbie like me can boost my sales. I’ve only been with AudioJungle for two weeks and have had three sales.

I know I need to create public lists, get my page a little more together and add more songs to my portfolio, but what other things can I do to help promote myself?

Always a good question! :slight_smile:

This is always a great place to start - ignore the fact that it says ActiveDen, many of the points apply to all marketplaces. :slight_smile:

http://wiki.envato.com/selling/tips-selling/40-effective-ways-to-become-a-successful-activeden-author/

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Appo_Productions,

• Produce high-quality music.

• Find your niche: A) something you are good at producing that B ) the public will buy.

• Don’t expect to make a living at it; treat it as you would a dividend on an investment - except in this case your capital is not money but rather your time and passion.

I’d all but given up on AudioJungle as a marketing outlet but have decided to make another go of it. I think it can work given a large enough portfolio of high-quality works.

Hope that helps. Wishing you the very best…

ecital said

Appo_Productions,

• Produce high-quality music.

• Find your niche: A) something you are good at producing that B ) the public will buy.

• Don’t expect to make a living at it; treat it as you would a dividend on an investment - except in this case your capital is not money but rather your time and passion.

I’d all but given up on AudioJungle as a marketing outlet but have decided to make another go of it. I think it can work given a large enough portfolio of high-quality works.

Hope that helps. Wishing you the very best…

+

Sales or not, it’s fun just being pushed to create more music. …
I believe that, while we’re all “technically” competitors here, we’re also ultimately teammates because we love making music.

Yes Sir.

Also, I wanna Thank all the others for their good hints - many of them in here.
Cheers Steven.