Sing over music?

I’m wondering if this music can be used to sing lyrics over top of to be used in a podcast? Thanks for your time!

Hello,

Singing lyrics on top of a track bought on AJ and turning it into a song is specifically prohibited as per the license terms.

1 Like

It might be worth getting in touch with envato support and tell them your specific situation and see what they say. The licence does state in paragraph 10: You can’t modify a music track and distribute it on a music CD. You can’t add lyrics over the top of a music track and sell it as your own song on iTunes. You can’t use a music track in your internet radio service.

Since you are not going to sell the song as your own, I would argue that your particular case could be allowed under paragraph 7: You can modify or manipulate the Item, or combine the Item with other works, to suit your End Product. The resulting works based on the Item are subject to the terms of this license. You cannot claim ownership to the Item, whether it’s in original form or altered under this clause. You can do the things allowed in this clause as long as the end use is an Allowed Use under clause 2.

You can read all the licence details here. And here’s the link to envato support.

2 Likes

You are awesome! Thank you so much for the thorough reply!!! Off to read…

BSM

This is a slippery path. When buyers make songs out of our tracks, it usually spells troubles. There has been too many stories about buyer adding lyrics then publishing and registering the work as their own. When this happens, it’s a nightmare for the author to deal with.

I understand that in this specific case, the “song” will not exist on its own as it’s solely intended as part of a podcast. But who’s to say it will always be so? Hypothetically, it could be isolated and shared as a standalone (this wouldn’t be unheard of online behavior).

For me the important part of the terms is “You can’t add lyrics to an audio track”, this should be true wether you sell the song on iTunes or not.

@billysurf you should indeed contact support for confirmation, only they can give you a binding answer. If you could post their response here, that’d be really helpful.

2 Likes

Gotcha! Yeah - best not to go there! Thanks for the reply!!!

BSM