reasons for most of rejections in the flyer category

hi everyone, after months or at least weeks of speculations as regard to why the whole of us have had a whole lot of hard rejections as of late , here you will find the very reason why tons of your works are binned in a second, under cover of “quality”.

Indeed, after many hard rejections that came out of the blue and that no one , even among the most experienced guys that i know, could explain with a really credible argumentation made of other things that very small and discussable details, i was finally told, in a hard rejection message, that the very reason for rejections is (sound of drum and big mystery while u are waiting for the incredible secret) … is … CENTER THEMED LAY OUT!!! LOL.

In other words, u can create a super flat and super average thing, take not over 15 minutes to create a flyer, this is not a problem, as long as u put something in one side and some text on the other hand, all is fine! (see the link in the end of the thread, good example)

Actually, I was provided with the following explanation, that works in this style (center themed layout) kind of cannot make it anymore - unless they are extremely original - and that items must be “unique , compelling and so on”, in other words, all kind of demands that are completely disconnected with what quality control teams do daily while they select what is approved and what is not … .

Everyone tells me, for instance, that i have a style of my own, really unique, but most of my items based on compositions are hard rejected despite they are much more worked out than a whole lot of things that are accepted. Can anybody identify this?! (besides one of my last hard rejections was a king’s day flyer, while there is almost none in this theme … so the problem is saturation of the market when there are almost no item in a category?! lol)

The fact of the matter is, that if it were not that boring for authors to deal with all this, that there would be material to laugh about all this … So, basically, here is what we are explained … in order to get original things we are all pushed in the same direction, imposed the type of lay out, imposed the style also, as we all identify that envato is pushing author to create font-based designs mainly … in other words, let’s all do the same thing and with all kind of the same imposed demands and let’s be original and do something different ! LOL Paradoxical isn’t it?

Let’s face it, all this is nothing but policy, it has nothing to do with quality! (we could feel that envato was cooking something and now we know what it is … this is “place it!” and for this needed to have customers tastes pushed in a specific direction) unlike what they would like people to believe, no one knows what is selling and what is not (for the actual proof of this, have a look at the next paragraph) and all this is not necessarily determined by quality but rather by places in the search engine and the capacity that all people have to promote their items and give visibility to them!!!

besides, how can they explain that guys with portfolios of 2000 or 3000 items seem to have most of their things approved daily, in their cases, and that a great variety - at least one third - has no sale all and that a good deal of others do not have more than just one sale, while these items are given good exposure via the search engine, as they are much exposed in the first pages where most of the buyers use to buy …). Fighting against saturation would not be more about taking out the old designs that are never sold and taking much space on the servers (not to mention that some of them are outdated in terms of style now)?! Taking out items that have never sold in 3 years or something like this is not that much of a big deal and i assume that no author would feel insulted that this is done this way!

When i first joined envato they were promoting that we could create “what we want , in the comfort of our homes” lol well that has to be gone for long! Quality nowadays rimes with doing what people want u to do , supposedly out of preventing market saturation! This is how last summer , by the time of july 4th, after a good promotion of this style, many guys had created what they were asked and we had a maesltrom of font-based 4th of july , the first page of results was exclusively made of this type of creation and , at least 40% of them, had no sale at all despite being in the first page of results , when they were given maximum exposure!

ALL THIS MAKES VERY LITTLE SENSE!

The choice that is made is more than discussable indeed, not only will it definitely kill part of the originality and creativity that a lot of guys are offering through their diversity of styles, experiences, countries , capacities and so on, but , in the meanwhile, this is basically making much more difficult to follow some of the very basic principles of design , namely:
proximity, alignment, contrast and repetition (rules that seem to have been forgotten for long here …)
they are no where to be seen in most of the newly approved items! well, when design is not based on basic principles, isn’t there a problem?! being disruptive a bit is not that bad but completely all teh way does it make sense?

as credibility is a big issue … here is what a friend of mine was told inside the last hard rejection message that he was sent … “You’ve created a really cool render although you need to put more work into the typography layout and provide a more unique composition. At the moment this is based on your latest 5 submissions. (typography on the left and render on the right)”. Well, they push people into doing something and then they reproach people to follow instructions afterwards lol. All his items had indeed the same disposition but renders, typos and so on were not the same, so he had basically done what he expected to do but this was not fine … can anybody understand?

coherence is definitely lacking ! people are coming here to have professionnal designs (what is the point for buying from pros otherwise and what is the point to have a quality control, too?) , things that they cannot make on their own in a few minutes (so that they can save time and potentially offer a higher quality too) and they finally end up having to choose from the selection of very simple things that were let go and are in keeping with the idea of standards that (only) envato has! As for long shot professionals, no doubt that they will have a very different idea on the subject!
for the people who are interested i will post the kind of things that i submitted and were hard rejected so that they can compare with this link that @prowebmedia has displayed in another thread ! (Removed) my question regarding this one, now … is this one so very unique, worked out and so on so that it could go through despite center themed lay out?! lol because if so i dare say that many people will clearly not feel the same

2 Likes

Just to reiterate we are not trying to justify reviews or comment on the rights and wrongs of the process.

With respect to all authors - envato gets thousands of submissions every month. Is drawing any generalized conclusion somewhat ambiguous without the ability to view or review more than a tiny % of submissions made?

What is the theory based on?

theory? LOL what are u talking about? this is the hard rejection message that is mentioning what is the reason for the hard rejection, not me … besides, let me tell u , no people can identify what is the reason for rejections, there has to be a reason … people are asked to come here to ask other guys and they get as many opinions as people coming … all this because envato does not feel like considering providing authors with a reason (even if takes to hire a few additional reviewers this is not much of a big deal for a company that runs millions), maybe because this is easier not to have to justify what cannot be …

besides, maybe we see only a very tiny percent, though the very blatant incoherence is springing out, so what is your theory about this? lol

one thing is for sure that design is based on basic principles and that these principles are not followed here … strange all the same …

Just to be clear I am not making any theory or suggestion - I am simply giving a perspective and context.

Again I am not justifying the process every decision made but it can be confusing or counterproductive for anyone to draw conclusions without all the facts or based on very limited and potentially biased insight.

So they provide custom comments in the rejection email now ?

At least that’s something different from the same generic rejection comments, although as you said, the reason given is not reflecting what they are actually doing.

Let’s consider that as a start in the good direction: giving some actual reasons for the rejection, even if it doesn’t make sense if they write one thing and do sometimes the opposite

Indeed, I think communication and coherence are two areas where the reviewing process needs to be improved.

It’s not limited insight. Many authors feel the same thing about the rejections and about the reviewing process, but are afraid to write something about it in the forums.

And that’s a shame, because the feedback of the authors should be considered as a really useful tool for improving things and not something to be discouraged.

1 Like

sometimes … hard to understand how it works … for the past 3 hard rejections,i had only one comment, this one … i know that a friend of mine had some insights like this, too but is it a general practice, well i am not sure … what i am pretty sure about this is that many hard rejections should be in the worst case some soft ones and should be accompanied by a reason and an opportunity for people to “take their items to the next level” if people had a little respect for our efforts, invested time, dedication and so on …

the bottom line is that u are right this whole thing needs at least as much improvement as the works that they are supposed to reject … this is full of flaws and as time goes by this is always worst and worst

u are also right many people feel the same, a lot of people are complaining and do not do anything publicly, though they are unhappy , some also because they are afraid that this is getting worst for them, how to blame them in a way …

the whole thing is paradoxical this is the bottom line as we are taken to school like children and the “teacher” just puts a whole lot of red color on your work , gives u a bad mark and sends your exam sheet to the trashcan and doesn’t provide u with any additional knowledge to tell u why u supposedly failed, at least in most of cases now! fortunately some reasons start to be given a bit and people who do have to be credited for this, even if what they are saying can really be discussed … as i mentioned earlier on

Feedback is not being discouraged at all - making generalizations based on a little insight does not really add value to conversations and may serve to confuse matters esp. for newer authors. If envato made an announcement based on conversations with a handful of authors and a few emails then I am certain that authors would feel this was not right - this is exactly the same.

For what it’s worth, I am sure that envato invests a huge amount of time and effort into researching their data, performance and taking onboard feedback etc. from buyers authors and community members.

Maybe just our view but opening up these discussions on mass publically is not always the right idea due to the sometimes confused views, conspiracy theories or simple lack of understanding what goes into running an international business of this size. < this is NOT an attack on anyone specifically or any thread in particular..

As for reviews - it will never be perfect but the subjective nature is unavoidable. Right or wrong, authors will never always agree with these decisions but unfortunately, someone has to take a final decision.

with all due respect Charlie, “this is not an attack”, “i am not part of envato teams”, “conspiracy theory”, “biased perspective”, in one side and all kind of very pragmatic excuses on the other side to legitimate the system as such, you are not under contract with envato, well noted, but they can rest assured their interests of class of powerful people over battling authors who just try to survive and have a fair environment for all, are very safe. INdeed , they are being harshly defended and the version of authors is systematically discredited. If so, let’s come o the conclusion that they did a great job to select people to defend their interests, for sure … if the reviewing could be as efficient for authors, we would clap with both hands and give it up for them , no doubt, we would not complain about anything …

by the way , no doubt that we are not expecting the reviewing system to be perfect , that is a dream way over all expectations as regard to the situation that we have right now! now if people cannot understand that there is a big difference between utopical perfection and a gamely unfair and equalitarian systems based on principles that no one can identify and where some styles are completely banned, i think there is a good middle way to find. If such a middle way situation could be made, at least maybe we would reach a situation that makes sense , at least i tend to believe so

The fact is many authors complain on rejections it was not the case before, has a lot of aprowed items on market which has no chance of being approved before and of course to the authors who invests time and effort and get it hard rejections (I think of better quality than some of those approved) think this is not fair. A lot of things have changed but worse for authors on Market so if envato invests a huge amount of time and effort into researching their data works only for their own benefit. Many authors think similar to what’s happening on Market but for some reason it will not say on public. Does not need a lot of brains to be seen how things are focused to the other side.

2 Likes

hey buddy, most importantly, if so, if they spend so much time and have so much effort into doing all this, why they do not do the same to bring out all the (very) old things that have never been sold out of the market, instead of trying to hard reject almost everything - mainly in some specific styles by the way - to let more new stuffs go through and be on sale today (they would necessarily be more modern than things made years ago …) keeping all the things that i mentioned and that have never been sold is just taking some space on servers, period … besides among the examples of guys who have 2000 or 3000 items, they have 700 or more that have never been sold … so there is much to do and much space to give and besides, how credible is such a system that ends up like this?! let’s face it u have a quality control to make sure that the quality is professional enough and supposedly to determine if the product has some potential to be sold and in the end a great deal of approved things have been identified as selling squat … reviewers cannot be blamed for this, for sure , as no one can really know what sells or not, this is more likely to be determined by exposure than any other thing sometimes … as this is proven and tested that items after the third page definitely have less chance to be sold than the ones which are included in the concerned pages … quality or not …

this is also a sad thing to think about that some styles are favored over some others arbitrarily indeed when trends are here for a while, they maybe good to sell punctually but they are also meant to end up when more classical or neutral styles are generating long lasting interest and necessarily meeting the tastes of some people anyways …

2 Likes

Hey Nico, completely agree with these but unfortunately as I said they focused to the other side but just do not understand as most authors just nothing says and them earning 50% less.

After I bought several items from the best sellers of logos for $ 100, I used to copy and describe items as they did, everything was taken from their template (color palette, sizes, layer names). And I sent over 40 logos that exactly corresponded to the items that I bought and as a result everything was rejected.

Do not waste time in the empty, do not try - they are stupid.
Direct all your forces to other platforms to make money - and it will work.

I reconciled myself with inadequate moderators and went to other platforms - and have already earned more than $ 500 dollars.

Thank you!

hey buddy, well other platforms are numerous for logos indeed, this is a very different story for a whole lot of other types of creations indeed , rival marketplaces are not numerous and far from working as well, this is the reason why some guys cannot really stop fighting for their cause here and shift to something else elsewhere …

Well, i think different people have diffrent thoughts and different way of working and so on the buyers have different choices For me, thats the beauty of creativity, one different from others like our nature. If everyone is working on same layout and style, then whats the uniqueness. So i think different compostion layout should be motivated.

So just to clarify… you bought a bunch of logos, copied them (using the same color palette, sizes, layer names and descriptions) and then uploaded them as your own items?

No. I bought logos from the best sellers. Then took their files by putting their logo (did everything as they do) copied the name of the layers, color, size, font, layout, etc - but with its logo. So did all the formats like them, and the preview image etc

They still rejected!!

that would have been a problem related to reviewing if he had managed to do so … i had understood what he meant by that , that he greatly inspired by these guys all the way and did the same as regard to the items were prepared. What is right about what u mentioned is that copying all the preparing process does not guaranty a logo to be good enough indeed

@LogoNinja
i like what u have done but maybe this logo was hard rejected because they feel like the typo is not unique enough or worked out enough. i need to add also that here they seem to be very attached about having a tagline and u do not it … maybe this is the reason for the rejection, though i personally fail to understand why this is compulsory here … never seen a logo in agency (for 14 years) that had a tagline inside …

Well layer setup, color, size, font, layout, formats and the preview image… all come second to the actual item itself.

u are right but items can be hard rejected if there are too many things lacking … or soft rejecting in case u forgotten a small something

1 Like