Some items are sold in an enormous amounts, some items get almost nothing. You can be an author with many succesful items but your next item can be not so popular as others. Stattie team prepared an article regarding possible reasons of low items’ sales for you.
For this study we chose to use a bit of mathematical statistics and do some calculations. We turned to the value of median. As we know, the median is the value separating the higher half of a data sample from the lower half. In simple terms, it may be thought of as the “middle” value of a data set (Wikipedia). In our opinion the median value is more representative than mode and mean for this topic, because it can show us the lower half of items’ sales.
There are too much items in the most popular item concepts to provide thorough research so we chose to look closely at concepts with smaller amount of items: Education and Real Estate.
While researching the reasons of weak sales of an item we didn’t counted the “eye-pleasantness” of design, themes’ demos, and items’ description, because they are quite subjective. However, there might be reasons of weak sales besides the abovementioned ones:
- The author doesn’t support the item;
- The design of the item may be out of date if the item is older, than 3 years;
- The item wasn’t updated in more than 6 months;
- The item has low rating (less than 4 stars);
- The item is rather “young” (was uploaded less, than 3 month ago in chosen concepts, in other concepts this value can be different);
- The most obvious: the item isn’t available on ThemeForest anymore.
So, we defined with the reasons, now we’ll proceed to numbers. There is a need to mention that some items had only 1 reason to be put on the list, and some of them had several reasons. The report made for this article can be found here.
Please keep in mind that all the calculations were made for the lower half of the presented data samles.
Let’s start with Real Estate. The total amount of items is 112, the amount of items in the lower half is 56 and the median sales value is 40.
Among these 56 items there was:
- 3 items without support (5.3%);
- 11 items older than 3 years (19.6%);
- 20 items wasn’t updated in more than 6 months (35.7%);
- 19 items with rating below 4 stars (33.9%);
- 11 items that was added earlier than 3 months ago (19.6%);
- 1 item that wasn’t available at the moment of the research (1.7%).
Here’s how the things are going in Education: total amount of items is 122, the amount of items in the lower half is 61 and the median sales value is 58. The result of our research in Education is:
- 3 items without support (4.9%);
- 12 items older than 3 years (19.7%);
- 12 items wasn’t updated in more than 6 months (19.7%);
- 13 items with rating below 4 stars (21.23%);
- 7 items that was added earlier than 3 months ago (11.5%);
- 1 item that wasn’t available at the moment of the research (1.6%).
By the way, during the research we found an author who made 7 Wordpress Real Estate themes. His name is @contempoinc. The most interesting thing is that his first Real Estate WordPress theme was added in 2008 and still made 4 sales for the last 6 months. Stattie team was really impressed with this fact and we wish @contempoinc good luck with further sales!
That is all for today. How do you think, what influences customers to buy your items the most?
Read our previous article: Author driven pricing on ThemeForest in numbers