Photoshop: Can't cut/copy/paste layers?

Hi,

Following last week’s PSD to HTML series I figured I’d dive right in and convert http://themeforest.net/item/blue-commerce-complete-ecommerce-theme/40046 to a HTML template for myself.

However, I can’t seem to be able to copy anything? I checked with other PSD’s, and it’s not just this one.

What I do:

• Open up the PSD
  • Use the select tool
  • Turn “Auto-Select” on and set to “Layer” instead of “Group”
  • Click the item
  • The layer is highlighted

• Whatever I do from that point on simply doesn’t work; convert to smart object, cut, copy, paste, nothing works.

Has anyone come across this before?

It’s not that simple to cut copy and paste. You’ll have to CTRL+Click the layer then a marching ants selection forms around the objects on the layer, then you could Cut Copy and paste stuff

Right click (control click) on the layer(s) you want copied, and click “duplicate layers” or select all the layers you want copied and go to Layers > Duplicate Layers. Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

PixeledArt just answered your question, but to make it even clearer:

When CTRL+clicking the layer in your layers palette, you have to click the thumbnail of the layer.

I know it’s a nobrainer for many, and you could discover this for yourself in like 5 seconds, but it’s never bad to be as specific as possible.

I would also recommend downloading Jeffrey’s tutorial and watching it closely - JW makes it sound soooo simple because he’s a pro, but you might miss some things nonetheless (I know I did)

Have fun with it and don’t forget to show us the outcome :wink:

LOL! I knew I had to be something simple. Cmd+click on the thumbnail worked.

I checked the screencast again, but it wasn’t mentioned there (altho Alt-click was, which didn’t work for me?)

Anyway, fixed! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

LOL! I knew I had to be something simple. Cmd+click on the thumbnail worked.

I checked the screencast again, but it wasn’t mentioned there (altho Alt-click was, which didn’t work for me?)

Anyway, fixed! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

JW didn’t mention it, but you can see in the screencast that he clicks the thumbnail.

Anyway, glad you figured it out :slight_smile: