How to import illustrator files in photoshop (not so simple)

ok maybe the title its somewhat puerile but how can I import an illustrator file in photoshop but at this following conditions:

the layers have to remain intact,
the vector shape has to remain vector,
or ideal,
a vector group should somehow became layers in photoshop

till now I got this following result

a) the file remain vector in photoshop, but its an unique “smart object” that can be opend in illustrator, and even this its a good thing I need every part of that object in separate layers
and
b) the file have all the layers intact in photoshop but now all the vector shapes are raster, arrrghhhhhhh

I just want to create the shapes in illustrator, import them in photoshop, use layers styles to, ehm, style them.

for now I can drag and drop ONE single vector from illustrator into photoshop and it will create a smart object but this will take like one million years if I have some more complex art with many layers or vector shapes.

Sometimes I think the adobe programers are just plain stupid or worse they do this in purpose. Why can’t I have an import window like in flash that let me chose what layer to import, if I want to preserve the vector or rasterize it, ecc
Why adobe, why???

try using shapes without gradients and stuff like that. Btw. What version of illustrator and photoshop do you have?

Try

File > Export…

from the dropbox select .psd

See how much it saves that way.

@hansv

i have the cs4 version for both photoshop and illustrator and my shapes have absolute nothing applied to them, just the color base and no stroke.

@ArikB using the export .psd from illustrator, it saves the layer order but the shapes are rasterized, that’s result b) from above. :frowning:

Maybe lot’s of effects can be created in illustrator then import the element in photoshop as single smartobject and that’s the end but I want to make a template and there’s a great possibility that the buyer will not have illustrator. Building shapes in photoshop its somewhat a pain in the … so I need illustrator and not losing two hours just to import them in photoshop.

And biggest problem its that I loose how the elements are positioned, I lose the layout. If I have a form for example I have to reposition all in Photoshop if I drag and drop one by one the various vector shapes.

Ehhhh… tried to save as a .eps? Those open in PS.

I drag the Vector files from Illustrator in to my working area in Photoshop, rather simple and logical solution but it works perfect.

I drag the Vector files from Illustrator in to my working area in Photoshop, rather simple and logical solution but it works perfect.

Funny how I do that with images but fail to realize it with this kind of stuff.

What OS are you running btw? I think that OS X and Win have a few differences regarding compatibility

+1 :smiley:

Ehhhh... tried to save as a .eps? Those open in PS.

Ok I tried this now,

result

when I want to import the eps in photoshop I got

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

“This file uses one or more fonts which are unavailable on this machine. Rasterize anyway?” “Continue” “Cancel”

this its funny because THERE’S NO TEXT IN THE EPS FILE. ok

only some shapes on diferent layers.

maybe reading my problem with more attention will show you that I already know and done that :smiley:

by working area you mean an open psd file? or the gray area? because when I drag in the gray area nothing happens.

Maybe that has something to do with how the file is exported. Did you choose the box that says something like, "export/maintain fonts blah blah blippity blah"?

done this right now, this time by uncheking the embedd font option

if I open the eps it give me a window were I can chose the way to rasterize my eps format, like the width heigt and resolution, if I chose to place from file --> place I got again the same error with the font. anyway the eps its rasterized. Now this its strange. Why it rasterize my eps?

Again, when you’ve opened Photoshop then you will have a working area in front of you, for example with a web design in it. And now you have logo in Illustrator that you want to import to that design.

Well then it’s as easy as 1,2,3, just drag the logo file from illustrator directly in your working area of photoshop (on top you your design).

This has to work, I do this all the time and never had any problems with it.

PS: or you save your illustrator file as PDF and then open this PDF with Photoshop.

Again, when you've opened Photoshop then you will have a working area in front of you, for example with a web design in it. And now you have logo in Illustrator that you want to import to that design.

Well then it’s as easy as 1,2,3, just drag the logo file from illustrator directly in your working area of photoshop (on top you your design).

This has to work, I do this all the time and never had any problems with it.

PS: or you save your illustrator file as PDF and then open this PDF with Photoshop.

ok but after you drag and release what you get? a SINGLE photoshop layer that has a smart object or MULTIPLE photoshop layers. I think you get the first variant and I already know and do this. I will give you an example. I create a search form in illustrator it has two shape one for the button and one for the actual form and plus there are some other shape for the search icon. Now when i drag all of them in photoshop i corectlly get the smart object exactlly like it is in illustrator.

But now if I apply some layer styles on this smartobject layer it will change the whole art, that’s because there’s only one layer. I need to apply different effects like dropshadow, glow etc to EVERY different shape inside my form. And for that I need a layer for every shape. Now for simple things it will not be a problem to drag and drop them one by one, but let say I create something more complex with many more shapes.

I’m really confused now, why not make the entire thing in Photoshop or in Illustrator

Okay, I don’t have a solution for this un-logical way of working and I wish you all the best with finding a solution for your problem.

I'm really confused now, why not make the entire thing in Photoshop or in Illustrator

Okay, I don’t have a solution for this un-logical way of working and I wish you all the best with finding a solution for your problem.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hey thank’s for your help

its not illogical its my way of work, or at least I want to work like this but I can’t.

The only reason I do not want to buid all in photoshop its because in illustrator beeing a vector application I can create more easy the shape that i wanted. But anyway thank’s for your help. :smiley:

+1 :smiley:

+1 :wink:

ok I have the impression that maybe I can’t explain myself very well or maybe someone don’t read all the text I writed. :smiley:

but anyway I resolved the problem, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: it took me half a day but now its work.

its a rather stupid and expensive, you need illustrator, fireworks and photoshop.

first create your art in illustrator, then save.

open the ai file in fireworks

save as to a psd file

open the file in photoshop and voila’

you got a layered psd with all the shapes as paths and every illustrator layer as a group. Its not that nice?

Thank you all for your help!

Man! If I saw your post earlier, it could’ve saved you from all this hassle.

As soon as I read your first post, I was about to suggest using Fireworks. Good thing I read all the way to the last post anyway, to see that you’ve figured it out, using pretty much the same workflow that I do all the time.

Anyway. Good that your problem got solved, and even better, all by yourself!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

thank’s :slight_smile:

How about you place the .ai in the .psd on it’s own layer. Whenever it needs editing, it will open up the file in illustrator, but then changes are saved in PS. Or did you want to edit the file in between the original layers?

Glad you solved it.