Learning Cinema 4D

I know this question is pretty open, but how long does it take to get a good grasp on Cinema 4D if learning if from scratch (for someone with no previous 3D software experience, but at least a fair level of AE experience)? It took me about 3 - 6 months to get to know After Effects well enough (mostly through on-line tutorials) to start making templates that actually sell. Would like to start dabbling with Cinema 4D, curious to know how long it took others to get into it?

if is the first time you approach the 3D world then there is quite a road ahead. The trick is to learn the basics that applies to any 3D software program, you should have some idea about this from After Effects 3D space and then focus only on things you need for your work.

Get a tutorial that teaches you the software from zero like those from digital tutors http://www.digitaltutors.com/training/cinema_4d/getting_started-tutorials to familiarize yourself with the software, then focus on specific areas that, at this point, you will know you will need for AE projects

Will be a few months by all means. The more you practice the quicker you will learn. Depends on your self motivation and the goals set.

I tried it before on my own and it didn’t work for me. I don’t like the interface.

In two months I start C4D lessons in group. Wondering how that goes. :wink:

C4D is much bigger than After Effects and there are many more concepts to learn.

I’d say you can get a good working knowledge to produce simple motion graphic animations in a couple of months if you put your mind to it.

But if you want to produce beautiful character animation, you’re going to be working at it for a number of years.

felt_tips said

But if you want to produce beautiful character animation, you’re going to be working at it for a number of years.

No doubt. I work in Photoshop everyday of my life for the last 7 years and I’d be suprised if I know more than 60% of the program.

I’m sure it will take at least a few months to just get a handle on the basics, but I was more worried that it would take a few years to get the hang of it. I’ve watched a few tuts here and there and seems like there is a LOT to cover. But I guess its all worth it to get the result in the end.

No matter, just do it. Later you will wonder how you lived without it :slight_smile:

InlifeThrill said

No matter, just do it. Later you will wonder how you lived without it :slight_smile:

Ok, that is very encouraging. Got a week week holiday break coming up soon, will put in a couple of hours a day with the trial version and see what happens…