Introducing Jamstack category to ThemeForest

Jamstack has taken the web development world by storm over the last few years, and continues to increase in popularity. The time has come for Envato Market to separate Jamstack items into a dedicated top-level category.

So, what is Jamstack?

Jamstack is a modern way to build websites and apps that deliver better performance. Based on pre-rendering and decoupling principles Jamstack is an architecture designed to make the web faster, more secure, and easier to scale. Jamstack items use JavaScript, API and Markup. A full definition of Jamstack can be found on jamstack.org.

Do I have items relevant to the category?

Your item must align with this definition and include pre-rendering in order to be included in the Jamstack category. Items using JavaScript frameworks, such as React, Vue or Angular, do not normally include pre-rendering, so would belong in the Site Templates category rather than the Jamstack one. For a further explanation head to our full description here. If you still have questions about whether your item qualifies, please ask below.

You can already submit items to ThemeForest, so please start building items now!

How do I upload items?

You will notice a new Jamstack category in the ThemeForest upload form, with the following subcategories:

• Nuxt.js,
  • Next.js
  • Eleventy
  • SvelteKit
  • Gatsby.js
  • Jekyll
  • Miscellaneous (for all other frameworks).

You can only use an item brand / design once per category. In the case of Jamstack, this applies at the sub-category level - so you can convert an existing item to a Gatsby theme, an Eleventy theme and so on. They will need to meet our requirements and current design standards.

You can check out the new Theme Requirements documentation for Jekyll, Gatsby.js and Next.js on the Author Help Centre.

Once approved, new items added to the Jamstack category will be live immediately.

What about existing items on ThemeForest?

• Items in the existing Jekyll category have already been moved to Jamstack > Jekyll
  • We will be moving any Gatsby.js items in Site Templates to Jamstack > Gatsby.js soon.
  • Other Jamstack items will be slowly moved across - if you have an item that meets the definition, please let us know through this form and we’ll take it from there.

As part of this move, there may be some changes to your item’s metadata. We encourage you to check your item once it has been moved.

For example, the Jamstack category does not have the full subcategory tree at this time, so if you had a Gastby theme under Site Templates > Entertainment, it would be moved to Jamstack > Gatsby Themes. The Entertainment subcategory would be lost.

If you have any questions about the new category, feel free to ask them here.

5 Likes

This is exciting news. Good work !

1 Like

Hey everyone, Ivor from the ThemeForest Review Team here :wave:

We’re very excited about this release. If you have any questions, please post them here and I’ll answer them as soon as possible.

6 Likes

Hi @Ivor ,

I have a couple of questions;

• Is it possible to use WordPress as the data source? If so, can we include a block theme along with a demo installer as well as some additional blocks and features that might be required for a smooth headless setup?

• How the structure should be? Should we include a built version that reads the source URL from the .env file or a complete project folder that comes with create next-app or similar?

Thanks.

Tolga

@stmcan

Is it possible to use WordPress as the data source? If so, can we include a block theme along with a demo installer as well as some additional blocks and features that might be required for a smooth headless setup?

• Yes, you can use the WordPress REST API: https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api or WPGraphQL
  • Uploading the block theme to the WordPress category would be a better option. Jamstack items need to be as simple as possible. In case you don’t want to upload a WP item, you can easily distribute the block theme through GitHub, GitLab, etc and include a link in your docs.

How the structure should be? Should we include a built version that reads the source URL from the .env file or a complete project folder that comes with create next-app or similar?

env files typically contain secrets, so don’t upload them. If necessary, you can include an .env.example containing all the necessary variables without their values. Additionally, you need to provide clear instructions in the documentation to help customers setup their theme.

Thanks a lot :+1:

1 Like

I’m not interested in that category but since it’s showing as “NEW” in the top bar, I just wonder if anyone from Envato really did click that link? Because first thing you see when you go there is this https://share.cleanshot.com/vbukj5 - two first items are older than my kids and have really bad ratings - not maintained, not updated, just some abandoned outdated projects. Is that really how you want to attract new customers to that category?

7 Likes

@purethemes Yes, it’s far from ideal. We’d normally publish this post asking for authors to create content first, then publish the category to the site later once we have more items. This time around however, we had to go ahead and make the category live first.

We’re planning to move the Gatsby items across soon, which should help somewhat, but also we’re very keen for authors to start working on some new items for this category.

Thanks for feedback. What I’m trying to point here is that market is full of outdated abandoned items that should be removed long time ago, and this category is a biggest proof of that.

1 Like

Hi guys, good news! Do you have plans to create a ReactNative/Expo category? It would be great!

This is good and its a new development. weldone.

Sorry for the delay in responding - we do want to clean up a lot of the older items that are now broken etc, but I can’t promise a timeline for that. We have done some library management over the last couple of years, but it’s a big job and it’s been slow going and there’s a LOT still to go, so we may try a different approach.

We do look at adding new categories every so often (and would like to do so more often), but at this point I can’t make any promises on which category we’d add next or when that would happen. We will of course announce it here once we’re ready for authors to start building items for any new category.

I have 2 questions :

1. Can Envato share statistics on which category gets how much traffic ?
  2. Are there any plans to promote the new JamStack category ?

A post on the new author hub would really help us gather the insights into the marketplace and what is trending.

Thanks for reply, I noticed your previous reply to my question had a notice “It’s been a while since we’ve seen StephenCronin — their last post was 3 years ago.” :smiley: so I feel honored I made you reply after all this time :smiley:

I’m glad things like that are planned and I think it’s a pretty simple, just list all items that weren’t updated in last 24 months and remove them :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.